Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... (/Thread-ALEKS-Statistics-Torture)

Pages: 1 2

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - geissingert - 11-24-2014

My kids are great with math and passed intm Algebra, College Algebra & Pre- Calc. The Statistics word problems are torture. Does anyone have tips they can share on the tools they used? Did you read books or watch videos for this class? Kahn isn't the best tool my kids like. HELP. They want to finish by the first week of December if possible.

TIA

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - Prloko - 11-24-2014

I found many college courses through ITunes University. Try to stay away from the prestigous universities since they offer little explanations. I know Harrisburg Area Community College had a good math teacher post really good lectures with explanations. Also, try your College Plus coach; after all, they are getting paid for it. Make the earn it.

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - ajs1976 - 11-24-2014

Which word problems? I'm only a week into the course, but I will help if I can.

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - JTP - 11-24-2014

Kahn Academy was great, and printing all of the worked examples as PDF files made it nice to search for like problems when doing an assessment to see how it needed to be worked. After so much repetition it started to click....or I just memorized the steps long enough to complete the assessment, its all kind of a blur.

If I required a deeper understanding of statistics for my job, or future career goals, I would probably go back and either take a stats class at the local community college or go through some of the free open courseware from places like Saylor, MITx/edX, etc.

Like your kids I got through all of the other math in a combined total time of about 7 hours, but Stats took me a little over 40 hours to complete.

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - KayV - 11-24-2014

Professor Rosever has an ALEKS Statistics Youtube Channel that is very helpful.
Elementary Statistics (using ALEKS) 2010 - YouTube

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - bricabrac - 11-24-2014

The way I view it in my mind, stats is a language unto itself (ex Algebra is Latin, Stats is Italian). Algebra is mainly about solving/finding missing variables, Stats is collecting, analyzing and interpreting data. Below are links to tutorial videos and also the interactmath website that I have used extensively. I will send you a link later today with information on the two textbooks mentioned (Wiess & Triola). I feel it helps so much to have a textbook in front of you for an in-depth explanation, followed by the mathlab to work through the problems.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Videos:

UC Berkeley Youtube: Statistics 20 - Introductory Probability and Statistics
UC Berkeley Youtube: Statistics 21 - Introductory Probability and Statistics for Business

Saylor free Business Statistics course review: BUS204: Business Statistics | Saylor Academy

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Try one of my favorite websites

InterActMath.com
In the drop down box, scroll to - Weiss Elementary Statistics, 8e and/or Weiss Introductory Statistics, 9e. Another resource: Weiss Intro to Statistics textbook companion website: Companion Website for Neil Weiss' Introductory Statistics, 8e

Triola is also an excellent textbook. Triola. Elementary Statistics, 11e Technology Update. Triola also has another awesome selection - Elementary Statistics, Using the TI83/84 plus calculator. [URL="http://wps.aw.com/aw_triola_stats_series/"]Triola Textbook Companion Website Links
[/URL]
Click on whatever chapter you need extra help. Within each practice problem you have the option to have the software teach you.

• For each problem you don't know how to solve, look to right there is an icon with a key 'help me solve this'
  • When you click on it another window opens and the software will go through each step by clicking the yellow continue button at the bottom.of the window.
  • There is also a print icon.

Good luck!

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - geissingert - 11-24-2014

Thank you all! We aren't using college plus anymore. All of your info will certainly help.

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - cookderosa - 11-24-2014

geissingert Wrote:My kids are great with math and passed intm Algebra, College Algebra & Pre- Calc. The Statistics word problems are torture. Does anyone have tips they can share on the tools they used? Did you read books or watch videos for this class? Kahn isn't the best tool my kids like. HELP. They want to finish by the first week of December if possible.

TIA

I watched all the khan vids, and used that (after bailing out of ALEKS) to pass the DSST exam. Before I started, however, I watched this set of videos over at Annenburg. It probably contributed to my learning, so I'd suggest giving these a try. They are not mathy at all, lots of real world examples too. Resource: Against All Odds: Inside Statistics

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - Prloko - 11-24-2014

geissingert Wrote:We aren't using college plus anymore.
+1 For you! Its also awesome that your family is motivated and jamming out college credits. I recently started home schooling our 15 yr old and this is all new to us. I credit cookderosa and all your guys for giving us the courage to give it a go. But honestly, thought that HACC had really excellent lectures and walked through problems. Mind you though, this was two years ago.

Also, you can see if your local library has the now ancient "Standard Deviants" DVDs. I used the one for finance and it was real good for simplifying some dull and tedious concepts, I believe they had a statistics video also.

ALEKS Statistics- Torture.... - JohnnyHeck - 11-24-2014

I believe that the problem for most folks with ALEKS Stats is the nature of the subject itself. Statistics must be understood with the "big concepts" first and then learning how to mathematically work the problem details to get the answer. ALEKS's strong suit is details in sequence from the bottom up to the "big picture" Personally, I don't care for videos on this subject as they take up too much time either in trivia or move so fast through a key concept that needs repeating over and over that the student just never "gets it" If your student can learn by reading the material at their own pace, then take a look at this free resource: Online Statistics Education: A Free Resource for Introductory Statistics I just discovered it about a week ago and tried out several chapters. It seems well organized. Has problems and solution keys that follow the text concepts very closely. The only downside that I can tell is that it is long. But because you would not go on without understanding what came first, I think you could maintain a good pace through all the lessons. If you try this out and find it works, please let us know.