Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Easy way to remember logarithms? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+---- Forum: What does this Flashcard mean or Do this math problem for me (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-What-does-this-Flashcard-mean-or-Do-this-math-problem-for-me)
+---- Thread: Easy way to remember logarithms? (/Thread-Easy-way-to-remember-logarithms)

Easy way to remember logarithms? - DixieGirl - 07-27-2007

Is there any easy way to remember logarithms?

Easy way to remember logarithms? - tryingtesc - 07-27-2007

Hey DixieGirl,

Not to be a smart butt, but, practice, practice, practice.

What "part" seems to be troubling you? Logs are used with unknown exponents, they are the inverse of exponentials.

Practicing re-writing functions from exponential form (y=b^x) to logarithmic form (x=log b y) ,the base "b" should be subscript, can help.
For example:
Exp. Form---4=2^x into Log Form----x=log2 4 (the "2" should be subscript)

Then the way to solve for "x" on the calculator is log4 divided by log2.

When written on paper it is easy to remember to divide log4 by log2 because the log4 is "on top", just like fractions(division).

^ = raised to that exponent

Which test are you preparing for? If Solving systems of equations containing logs, you will need more help than I have provided, and I suggest getting a tutor. If you just need refreshing, online resources should be enough to help. I do not know what sort of math background you have. Good Luck.

Best Regards,
Jason

Easy way to remember logarithms? - DixieGirl - 07-27-2007

Okay, thanks. I am really really dreading studying these!Sad

Easy way to remember logarithms? - Drummerboy - 07-27-2007

[SIZE="2"]That's a good question. Princeton Review's ACT book has a little section on logarithms (page 139).

Say a logarithm is log[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]x[/SIZE] [SIZE="2"]64 = 6. Just remember that the 6 on the right will be the exponent of the little "x". Then, use your calculator to see what number multiplied by itself six times equals 64.[/SIZE] [SIZE="2"]Hope this helps and is not more confusing![/SIZE]:eek:

Click on link below for example picture if it does not show up on this page.

[attachment=19]

Easy way to remember logarithms? - thatbrian - 10-26-2008

If you are taking College Mathematics you can skip this all together like I did and still passed with a 60.

DixieGirl Wrote:Is there any easy way to remember logarithms?

Easy way to remember logarithms? - frankiebleyes - 03-24-2009

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support over the last thirty days. I have passed seven exams and do not feel I could have done that without the support of this site and several of its members.

Good luck to everyone in the future.

Easy way to remember logarithms? - NAP - 03-24-2009

You're done? Congratulations on accomplishing so much in such a short amount of time! Best wishes for the future!

Easy way to remember logarithms? - frankiebleyes - 04-14-2009

Thought I was done, but I'm back for more and more clep tests. I'm going to take the old sit in your but classes and keep plugging along with the cleps. I failed english w/essay (and found out after the fact). But hey, that's okay, I'm already half-way there with english 101 with straighterline and just signed up for english 102 with my distance learning at local cc for summer. Next I'm going to take American Literature clep, Biology clep, Human Growth and Educational Psychology clep, Principle Management clep, and anything business related that I can find to clep out of. Looks like I'll be around for awhile. But hey as far as I am concerned I am in great company. This site is wonderful and so are the members here. You couldn't pay for better support.

Easy way to remember logarithms? - NAP - 04-15-2009

Welcome back! Will you be pursuing a degree in nursing?

Easy way to remember logarithms? - Levi - 04-16-2009

DixieGirl Wrote:Is there any easy way to remember logarithms?

I'm preparing to take the CLEP Precalc exam. I also am studying logs. I wonder how much of the actual Precalc exam actually has to do with logs. Since I have a solid grasp of algebra and functions and some trig, I hope this will be sufficient.