Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: CLEP, DSST, and TECEP Exam Discussion. Also Modern States and InstantCert. (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-CLEP-DSST-and-TECEP-Exam-Discussion-Also-Modern-States-and-InstantCert)
+--- Thread: DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests (/Thread-DSST-Substance-Abuse-Question-Re-IC-Flashcard-Info-vs-Peterson-s-Tests)

Pages: 1 2

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - SuZQ2 - 03-16-2015

Hi All,

I've been studying for DSST's Substance Abuse exam and wondered if someone can enlighten me. The IC flashcards and the Specific Feedback info (specifically the great study guides provided by IC members) provide one set of facts for the Sub Abuse exam, however, the Peterson's practice exams present entirely different (and much more complex) information...

I had great success with Peterson's first practice test as it contained a lot of the same a material presented in IC - unfortunately things rapidly deteriorated :ack: as I attempted the second and third Peterson's exams - very little info from IC so my score dropped dramatically --- YIKES...:ack: Ughhh!

For anyone who has taken this exam recently - is IC/SF study guide info enough for a passing score, or do I need to go into the seemingly massive depth of info Peterson's provides?

Thanks so much! Confusedeeya:

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - BGSU_Alum_86 - 03-16-2015

Whenever I suggest the Peterson practice tests to candidates I always caution them that these tests are NOT designed by their testing program (not College Board/CLEP, not Prometric/DSST). If candidates simply want some additional questions to try to answer, and in a timed component, great. There is no guarantee that these practice exams will have similar wording or similar depth as the real exams.

Hopefully someone will hop on who has taken this exam and be able to address this in more detail.

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - cstock - 03-17-2015

I took the test early last year and only used the study guide the feedback section and Instantcert. It was enough for me to pass. Good luck!!

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - GoodYellowDogs - 03-17-2015

I got a version of the test that was almost all neuro-physiology - not easy, but I passed.

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - cookderosa - 03-18-2015

This test was refreshed a while ago... maybe 2009-2010ish? My version was the paper version in 2007 or 2008 and I remember there being a lot of issues with the new version being hard (heck, I thought my version was already hard!!) so I'm wondering if IC and or Peterson's are using the newer version vs an older one? I can't be of more help, but you might try our archives and see if there were discussions about IC flashcards after the exam changed. It was a hot topic when it happened.

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - SuZQ2 - 03-18-2015

cookderosa Wrote:This test was refreshed a while ago... maybe 2009-2010ish? My version was the paper version in 2007 or 2008 and I remember there being a lot of issues with the new version being hard (heck, I thought my version was already hard!!) so I'm wondering if IC and or Peterson's are using the newer version vs an older one? I can't be of more help, but you might try our archives and see if there were discussions about IC flashcards after the exam changed. It was a hot topic when it happened.

Thanks Jennifer, I've limited my searches regarding this test to the past few years - most folks seem to be in agreement that the IC info is contained on the exam. Peterson's is a LOT more difficult in every respect...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the info I can retain is the info on the exam - YIKES, those drug names/categories/withdrawal symptoms/overdose symptoms are mighty confusing!

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - SuZQ2 - 03-18-2015

GoodYellowDogs Wrote:I got a version of the test that was almost all neuro-physiology - not easy, but I passed.

Don't like the sound of that :ack: as I'll have to re-evaluate my study materials. :ack:

I'd given up on ever attempting any DSST's as there is no testing center in my area. The trip has always been a barrier, but I've reached my burnout point. I desperately want to accumulate credits at a quicker pace, so I thought I'd give Sub Abuse a try.

It will be four years this April since I began working toward the last two years of my Bachelor's...I soooooo want to BE DONE!

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - gl339 - 04-20-2015

I just took the test today and I used both the Peterson tests along with the IC flashcards and the study sheets from various users in these discussion forums. Honestly, I do not feel like the Peterson tests helped at all and were definitely a waste of money. IC was the reason I passed this test today with a 433 and before I started studying 5 days ago, I had no background knowledge in Substance Abuse.

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - xxlainey2 - 06-09-2015

gl339....I'm taking the Substance Abuse exam next week. Are the IC flashcards all you used for preparation (no need for Petersons tests or forum feedback study guides?)

DSST Substance Abuse - Question Re: IC Flashcard Info vs. Peterson's Tests - SuZQ2 - 06-09-2015

I passed this exam in April - My best advice would be to utilize the numerous study guides found on IC's Specific Feedback section - they are EXTREMELY helpful! (I particularly remember a study guide with multicolored highlights). As far as Peterson's - their practice tests were much more difficult than the actual exam.

I used the DSST $5 test prep
Peterson's Practice Tests
IC
IC study guides
Quizlets

Good Luck! Smile