Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? (/Thread-Look-up-who-you-are-by-googling-your-school-combinations-and-linkedin)

Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - soliloquy - 05-21-2015

My husband told me that you can look up who people are if they have been to a unique combination of say 3 or more schools and they have a linkedin account. I put him to the test and my combination of schools didn't bring me up on Google on the top listing but I was several pages in and I told him to try another well-known member here (I promise I wasn't trying to be creep...just wanted to see if he was right) and I'm pretty sure I know who this member is now because of the unique combination of schools. This was confirmed when their location on linkedin matched the location they have posted many times on this forum in addition to the graduation dates on their signature matching with the dates on their LinkedIn account. I just wanted you guys to know that's a potential issue if you are anonymity is really important to you!

Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - rebel100 - 05-21-2015

You have to be careful, the Google is strong.

Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - Prloko - 05-26-2015

I was aware of this, especially with people with unique school attendance. I tested it out before, but nothing more than a passing curiosity. I never posted this because it acts more like instructions rather than a warning.

Me personally, I have already invited members to connect with me on Linkedin, nothing for me to hide, but I respect your privacy Smile

Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - cookderosa - 05-26-2015

soliloquy Wrote:My husband told me that you can look up who people are if they have been to a unique combination of say 3 or more schools and they have a linkedin account. I put him to the test and my combination of schools didn't bring me up on Google on the top listing but I was several pages in and I told him to try another well-known member here (I promise I wasn't trying to be creep...just wanted to see if he was right) and I'm pretty sure I know who this member is now because of the unique combination of schools. This was confirmed when their location on linkedin matched the location they have posted many times on this forum in addition to the graduation dates on their signature matching with the dates on their LinkedIn account. I just wanted you guys to know that's a potential issue if you are anonymity is really important to you!

When I type in all 3 of my school's names, a lot of my degree forum posts come up which would reveal my name....which wasn't a secret lol. But, still this seems like a fun creeper game to play this summer when I'm bored. Smile

Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - UptonSinclair - 05-26-2015

I have no question about the lack of anonymity. I had a school administrator contact me about a complaint I made on here about one of their classes.

Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - SweetSecret - 05-28-2015

This is the type of stuff I look up every once in awhile. My LinkedIn profile looks pretty filled out, but I actually don't list a lot of info on it for this exact reason. I don't have a photo on LinkedIn either because I had so many photos online under my professional name, and the possibility of Google connecting to my legal name with their facial recognition technology freaks me out. As a matter of fact I think the only person on here whom I've shared a photo with is Jennifer. She could use it to figure out who I am, but i don't think its really worth the effort to her. :-)

Look up who you are by googling your school combinations and linkedin? - cookderosa - 05-28-2015

SweetSecret Wrote:This is the type of stuff I look up every once in awhile. My LinkedIn profile looks pretty filled out, but I actually don't list a lot of info on it for this exact reason. I don't have a photo on LinkedIn either because I had so many photos online under my professional name, and the possibility of Google connecting to my legal name with their facial recognition technology freaks me out. As a matter of fact I think the only person on here whom I've shared a photo with is Jennifer. She could use it to figure out who I am, but i don't think its really worth the effort to her. :-)

I never share anything on this board outside of this board (because Steve works hard to run this business, I'm certainly not going to go around him- I want people to come HERE and get this info so this forum can sustain a long, healthy, life) and I always refer to a person by the name they use publicly - realname/screenname/whatever, so nothing to worry about with me. Smile