Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Military Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Military-Discussion)
+--- Thread: no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time (/Thread-no-more-collecting-Post-9-11-Bill-and-Unemployment-at-the-same-time)

no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - Life Long Learning - 01-10-2016

I am told by a State Veterans Rep that no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time starting 1 Jan 2016, This will affect a few folks.

no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - AmeliaC - 01-10-2016

My SIL, for one. He's got another week or so of terminal leave.

no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - Leherself - 01-11-2016

Interesting. My state doesn't allow you to collect unemployment if you're a full time college student anyway (I looked into it when I was on it right after I got out of the military).

no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - gingerbeefE - 01-12-2016

Slowly stripping away the benefits of the GI bill. By time I get around to using mine it will be worthless. College will already be free and they will somehow pass a law saying if you make X amount you can't collect BAH. They already made it so you can't collect BAH in between terms

no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - Prloko - 01-12-2016

Makes sense to me. If you choose to be a full time student, you are not unemployed. Imagine if all the kids at state U started collecting unemployment. Many students have to get PT jobs for beer money or to even make ends meet, post 9/11 is already giving you a small stipend, if that's not enough may be you should look into work study programs or something else.

no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - gingerbeefE - 01-12-2016

Prloko Wrote:Makes sense to me. If you choose to be a full time student, you are not unemployed. Imagine if all the kids at state U started collecting unemployment. Many students have to get PT jobs for beer money or to even make ends meet, post 9/11 is already giving you a small stipend, if that's not enough may be you should look into work study programs or something else.

Don't get me wrong, you're not unemployed if you're a full time student. (unless you were going to school full time and working full time then got laid off, at which point it would be in your best interest to quit school if you lose your job which makes 0 sense.) But there is no doubt that the GI bill isn't as good as it was 10 years ago. Personally, I just don't like the fact that you only get the BAH for the months you're in class. So if you take 3, 6 or 8 week classes at one time in a 16 week semester even though you are full time you only receive 2 months of BAH. Or if there is a month break between courses you don't get paid for the month.

no more collecting Post 9/11 Bill and Unemployment at the same time - jadae@wgu.edu - 02-21-2016

You can get training unemployment (TUI) in some states.