Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? (/Thread-New-TESU-Residency-Requirement-16cr-TECEP-s-do-not-count)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - dfrecore - 03-21-2016

[h=2][SUB]New update on TESU's website:[/SUB]

Academic Residency Requirement[/h]Students who select the Per Credit Tuition Plan with the intention of earning an associates or bachelor’s degree from Thomas Edison State University must complete 16 credits via Thomas Edison State University Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack® (EP) courses. This requirement may be waived by paying the Residency Waiver fee.

Of course, when you click on the link to find out what the Residency Waiver fee is, there is nothing listed on that page. But it is definitely a new update, and conflicts with a few other non-updated pages on their website, leading me to believe that they will be taking the TECEP and PLA options away. If so, this means that the minimum you could pay for a degree at TESU would be $7984.

Well, if this doesn't give me motivation to finish up my degree quickly, nothing else will! I hope I'm wrong, but feeling like I'm not...
:ack:

New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - Mamasaphire - 03-21-2016

I was just reading that :0

New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - sanantone - 03-21-2016

I figured they would eventually close the loophole. They can't change the requirements on you if you're already enrolled. If it turns out that they will not count TECEPs or portfolio assessments toward the residency requirement, then it will be back to the Enrolled Options Plan being the best plan for testing out if they don't get rid of it. Maybe the residency waiver fee is about the same cost as the enrollment fee under the Enrolled Options plan.

New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - Mamasaphire - 03-21-2016

dfrecore Wrote:But it is definitely a new update, and conflicts with a few other non-updated pages on their website, leading me to believe that they will be taking the TECEP and PLA options away. If so, this means that the minimum you could pay for a degree at TESU would be $7984.

Well, if this doesn't give me motivation to finish up my degree quickly, nothing else will! I hope I'm wrong, but feeling like I'm not...:ack:

:ack::puke: Me too :willynilly:

sanantone Wrote:I figured they would eventually close the loophole. They can't change the requirements on you if you're already enrolled. If it turns out that they will not count TECEPs or portfolio assessments toward the residency requirement, then it will be back to the Enrolled Options Plan being the best plan for testing out if they don't get rid of it. Maybe the residency waiver fee is about the same cost as the enrollment fee under the Enrolled Options plan.

I would hope so, because for some of us paying out of pocket, with multiple children in college and our ownselves to pay for, the $3,296 Out-of-state fee is still a lot. Plus the $1500 Capstone & multiple misc. & grad fees.

dfrecore Wrote:[SUB]New update on TESU's website:[/SUB]

Academic Residency Requirement
Students who select the Per Credit Tuition Plan with the intention of earning an associates or bachelor’s degree from Thomas Edison State University must complete 16 credits

So does it look like the 16 cr residency requirement is for both AA & BA degrees? Okay, I should edit to add that I do realize that is exactly what it says. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of how it might be a tad more helpful for BA/BSBA students.

Unless they want an ADDITIONAL 16 hrs for the BA after the AA, making it 32 all together if a student decides to do both.

New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - bjcheung77 - 03-21-2016

I was just looking at the credit requirements and read 16 cr required. If that is the amount for the Bachelor degree, that's a bargain compared to the current 24. Hypothetically, if I enroll before March 31. Does that mean we will be subject to the requirements before the implementation date of April 1? Darn, COSC seems a bit more appealing now. *Sigh*.

New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - Daithi - 03-21-2016

It looks like the amount of the Residency Waiver fee is the key to determining if this is a bad deal or a good deal. You'll have to take their Cornerstone course ($300), Capstone ($525 x 3 = $1,575), pay the $75 application fee, and the the $323 graduation fee, and probably something I'm forgetting. This is roughly $2,273. You're only other costs would be the costs of courses and tests from CLEP, DSST, StraighterLine, ALEKS, etc. At around $100 per course that is ~$4,000 (assuming 40 courses @ 3 credit hours each). That's ~$6,273 if the Residency Waiver fee is $0. Still... a four year degree for under $10,000 is a bargain.

Daithi Wrote:It looks like the amount of the Residency Waiver fee is the key to determining if this is a bad deal or a good deal. You'll have to take their Cornerstone course ($300), Capstone ($525 x 3 = $1,575), pay the $75 application fee, and the the $323 graduation fee, and probably something I'm forgetting. This is roughly $2,273. You're only other costs would be the costs of courses and tests from CLEP, DSST, StraighterLine, ALEKS, etc. At around $100 per course that is ~$4,000 (assuming 40 courses @ 3 credit hours each). That's ~$6,273 if the Residency Waiver fee is $0. Still... a four year degree for under $10,000 is a bargain.

That $2,273 you mention would be in addition to the current $3,296 Out-of-state Waiver fee, making it closer to $5,600 in addition to whatever school expenses accrued up to that point, correct?

New TESU Residency Requirement!!! 16cr, TECEP's do not count?!? - sheptr - 03-21-2016

I am in the process of enrolling at TESU and was planning on making it official before the end of March to lock in a plan/path, with the Per Credit Plan and 24 credits worth of TECEPs as residency requirement. Before the updates on TESU's website today, was there a residency requirement with the Enrolled Option Plan? The current page on the website doesn't mention any, and searching the forum is not turning up anything.