Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU (/Thread-Degree-Plan-Help-COSC-vs-TESU)

Pages: 1 2 3

Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU - regovista - 04-29-2016

Hi Guys -

New guy here, scouring all these threads, and trying to come up with a degree plan that makes sense. I've been reading here for a while, and have gotten started with taking the free courses that made sense.

I'm split between the degrees I want, and can't tell which would be better/easier. COSU's BSBA in Project Management, vs TESU's Ops Management. I'm equally interested in both, but want to get whichever degree is faster.

I already have a number of credits to transfer (20 with C or better) and 8 that were D's, all from an accredited university. I'm hoping I can post my credits and get some feedback.

Science
BIO1500 Life Biology 4cr.
Chem 1220 Intro Chemistry 4cr
Chem 1230 Lab 1cr.
Classics 2000 3cr.
American Government 4cr.
French 101 4cr.
Computer Information 1cr.

BIO 1510 4cr.
MIcroeconomics 4cr. (but this grade was poor.)

I also took the Kaplan PLA and the Intstitutes Ethics courses, so 5cr. there also. Haven't done any FEMA courses, since I don't know which school yet.

The degree plans I see don't mention the COSC Project Management course, and I've gotten confused reading about TESU vs. COSC with the talk about capstones, cornerstones, etc. Plus, there's a CLEP/DSST center close by. I like online classes, and am not put off by studying for CLEPs, so I'm kinda stuck in analysis paralysis!

I think Iknow the answers to these, but can you guys help me figure out:
Which program is cheaper (TESU?)
Which one is faster to complete (Again, TESU?)
How my credits apply (to me, it looks like all 30 of my credits will apply towards general ed's, maybe not the Microecon since this is a business program)

Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU - rebel100 - 04-29-2016

I doubt either will be particularly fast, Ops Management will require courses that are impossible to test out of and maybe even difficult to find via cheap quick class.

TESU's BSBA General Management Track is the quick business degree de juor . I'm don't think you gain much by holding out for PM or Ops Mngt. over the plain vanilla BSBA. Can you articulate that an employer would truley value one over the other? If so OK, but in my experience there won't be much distinction and the benefit of the BSBA is that it's sort of the known standard business degree.

It is possible to test almost completely out of the TESC BSBA, there is value in that.

Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU - bjcheung77 - 04-29-2016

regovista Wrote:...
I already have a number of credits to transfer (20 with C or better) and 8 that were D's, all from an accredited university. I'm hoping I can post my credits and get some feedback.

I also took the Kaplan PLA and the Intstitutes Ethics courses, so 5cr. there also. Haven't done any FEMA courses, since I don't know which school yet.

Please provide us the school you went to and the other courses you mentioned with D's.
As it's helpful to find out if they are transferable to either or both institutions.
You can also take the 3 Free NFA courses for 3 easy credits for your Free Electives.

I was in your shoes just two months ago deciding on the Big 3 who to go with!
Ultimately, it came down to COSC and TESU as well and I had to choose which was better for me.
The main reason I chose TESU is because it upgraded to University Status in late 2015.

Not just the name recognition in the state, but the University Status sounds better.
There's more alumni (5 times as much as COSC), but only 1/3 as much as Excelsior.
The transfer of upper level credit was easier. For the price, it was hard to beat as well.

BTW, both degrees are named BSBA it's just your concentration is different.
When you get your degree parchment, I don't think it'll give the concentration.
The transcripts may be the only part that will distinguish the two.

Lastly, If you are going to a Masters degree, either one will work just fine as they are RA.
As the concentration is only a few courses, it will not have much impact on the overall study or prepare you better for any Masters.
I would "specialize" further in the Masters instead of worrying about what concentration you had in undergrad.

Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU - dfrecore - 04-29-2016

TESU will take D's as long as they're not in English or your AOS. I don't think Microecon will count if you received less than a C there (even a C- won't work).

But list the D's, I'm not sure on COSC's rules on that, it can't hurt to have them listed so we can see what you have.

The Ops Management AOS at TESU is harder to test out of, but not impossible. Certainly more expensive, though:

Required:
Ops Management (TECEP $114)
Quality Assurance (Not sure if this equates to Ops & Quality Management or TQM @ CSU-Pueblo IS $495)

Remaining (choose 4):
Management Info Systems (DSST $80 or Ed4Credit.com $300)
Project Management (Sophia $329)
Supply Chain Management (Penn Foster $237)
Purchasing & Materials Management (CSU-Pueblo IS $495)
Operations Strategy (CSU-Pueblo IS $495)
Leadership in Ops Management (CSU-Global $250)
Project Procurement & Contract Management (CSU-Global $250)

Obviously, you would need to get pre-approval when taking any of these courses from TESU. But I think there's enough here to get you the degree for a decent price.

For COSC PM, the only course I know of is listed above. That would mean that the other 2 courses would have to be taken through COSC or elsewhere as a regular course.

regovista Wrote:The degree plans I see don't mention the COSC Project Management course, and I've gotten confused reading about TESU vs. COSC with the talk about capstones, cornerstones, etc. Plus, there's a CLEP/DSST center close by. I like online classes, and am not put off by studying for CLEPs, so I'm kinda stuck in analysis paralysis!

I think Iknow the answers to these, but can you guys help me figure out:
Which program is cheaper (TESU?)
Which one is faster to complete (Again, TESU?)
How my credits apply (to me, it looks like all 30 of my credits will apply towards general ed's, maybe not the Microecon since this is a business program)

Regarding which type of course/exam to take, you just get to figure that one out on your own. My advice would be to take an exam, see how you do, and then figure out if you want to do more. If you use SL, you can also take one of those, but I'd recommend taking several in a month to cut down on cost. For study.com, you would want to take 2 courses, since that's what you're paying for anyway. You can also look at Saylor, and take the final exams without actually taking the courses, if you want to spend the $25. Those are just a few of the options though.

A cornerstone is usually the first course you take at a college when you enroll, it may be a short 1cr course that you can finish quickly. COSC requires one, TESU will start after May 25. TESU's will cost $300, and that's all we know at this point. It will serve to get you a GPA at TESU, since that now seems to be the requirement (they obviously go hand-in-hand).

The capstone is usually the last course you take at a college before graduation. It's normally something to do with "pulling it all together." Both schools require one, although the BSBA at TESU can be tested out of (Strategic Management TECEP). At the current time, it looks like they are still accepting Strategic Management from other sources, as long as it's completed by July 1.

bjcheung77 Wrote:Please provide us the school you went to and the other courses you mentioned with D's.
As it's helpful to find out if they are transferable to either or both institutions.
You can also take the 3 Free NFA courses for 3 easy credits for your Free Electives.

I was in your shoes just two months ago deciding on the Big 3 who to go with!
Ultimately, it came down to COSC and TESU as well and I had to choose which was better for me.
The main reason I chose TESU is because it upgraded to University Status in late 2015.

Not just the name recognition in the state, but the University Status sounds better.
There's more alumni (5 times as much as COSC), but only 1/3 as much as Excelsior.
The transfer of upper level credit was easier. For the price, it was hard to beat as well.

BTW, both degrees are named BSBA it's just your concentration is different.
When you get your degree parchment, I don't think it'll give the concentration.
The transcripts may be the only part that will distinguish the two.

Lastly, If you are going to a Masters degree, either one will work just fine as they are RA.
As the concentration is only a few courses, it will not have much impact on the overall study or prepare you better for any Masters.
I would "specialize" further in the Masters instead of worrying about what concentration you had in undergrad.

I went to Wayne State, in Michigan. I'm comfortable the credits would transfer to either.

The d's are in the Biology and Micro courses.

The nfa courses?

I see your point about getting to it in the master's program, though.

dfrecore Wrote:TESU will take D's as long as they're not in English or your AOS. I don't think Microecon will count if you received less than a C there (even a C- won't work).

But list the D's, I'm not sure on COSC's rules on that, it can't hurt to have them listed so we can see what you have.

The Ops Management AOS at TESU is harder to test out of, but not impossible. Certainly more expensive, though:

Required:
Ops Management (TECEP $114)
Quality Assurance (Not sure if this equates to Ops & Quality Management or TQM @ CSU-Pueblo IS $495)

Remaining (choose 4):
Management Info Systems (DSST $80 or Ed4Credit.com $300)
Project Management (Sophia $329)
Supply Chain Management (Penn Foster $237)
Purchasing & Materials Management (CSU-Pueblo IS $495)
Operations Strategy (CSU-Pueblo IS $495)
Leadership in Ops Management (CSU-Global $250)
Project Procurement & Contract Management (CSU-Global $250)

Obviously, you would need to get pre-approval when taking any of these courses from TESU. But I think there's enough here to get you the degree for a decent price.

For COSC PM, the only course I know of is listed above. That would mean that the other 2 courses would have to be taken through COSC or elsewhere as a regular course.

So that makes sense why I was having trouble finding the tests, as there aren't any.

Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU - tsimmns - 04-29-2016

I had a D in both micro and macro from my B&M school back in the day and both transferred or at least one did for the BSBA Gen Mgmt. Now that I'm in the BSBA CIS it's still there so it appears they take a D as long as it's not in English or the AOS.

I need to go back an look however as it might just be Macro that they took with a D.

Degree Plan Help - COSC vs TESU - bjcheung77 - 04-29-2016

regovista Wrote:I went to Wayne State, in Michigan. I'm comfortable the credits would transfer to either.

The d's are in the Biology and Micro courses.

The nfa courses?

I see your point about getting to it in the master's program, though.

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-thomas-edison-charter-oak-specific/26125-maybe-one-more-corse-needed-can.html#post206490

tsimmns Wrote:I had a D in both micro and macro from my B&M school back in the day and both transferred or at least one did for the BSBA Gen Mgmt. Now that I'm in the BSBA CIS it's still there so it appears they take a D as long as it's not in English or the AOS.

I need to go back an look however as it might just be Macro that they took with a D.

They will treat macro and micro econ the same.

They will bring in Bio with a D as well (I have chemistry with a D).