Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
COSC Degree Plan - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: COSC Degree Plan (/Thread-COSC-Degree-Plan--24125)

Pages: 1 2

COSC Degree Plan - BohdanH - 05-23-2016

I have been lurking this site and the degree forum wiki for a few years now waiting until I completed an industry designation to begin the process of getting a degree by testing out. So far I've decided Charter Oak would be my school of choice and I've started putting my degree plan together but I ran into a couple snags and was wondering if the more experienced here could help me out.

A couple of things before I get to the plan. The degree forum wiki has been a great help but I did not see any courses on there related to the concentration now required by COSC. Also, there were a couple courses that the degree forum wiki said were worth 6 credits but for which the COSC master exam list only shows 3 credits. I've created an account with ACE Credit and have added all of my courses from my designation to my transcript with them. Since COSC will accept ACE approved courses/exams I've tried to stick with those where possible.

I started with COSC's site to get this ball rolling and have tried to back fill from there using the degree forum wiki, the COSC master exam list, and the ACE site for approved courses. COSC is stating that 30 credits must be in the upper level and that 60 of the 120 credits be in Liberal Arts subjects.

Major Requirements (45 credits) - Major (27 Credits)
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
[td]COSC Course[/td]
[td]Credit[/td]
[td]Source[/td]
[td]U/L[/td]
[td]Libaral Arts[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[tr]
[td]Financial Accounting[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Managerial Accounting[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]StraighterLine[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Business Law[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Principles of Management[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Management Information Systems[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]DSST[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Principles of Marketing[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP/Saylor[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]No[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Financial Management[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]DSST - Principles of Finance[/td]
[td]U[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Organizational Behavior[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]DSST/UExcel[/td]
[td]L/U[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Capstone - Strategic Management[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]COSC[/td]
[td]U[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Concentration (9 Credits)
[tr]
[td]Organizational Behavior[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Organizational & Group Dynamics[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Organizational Theory[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[td]?[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Prerequisites (9 Credits)
[tr]
[td]Macroeconomics[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP/Saylor - Principles of Macroeconomics[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Microeconomics[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP/Saylor - Principles of Microeconomics[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Business Statistics[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]ALEKS[/td]
[td]U[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

General Ed (40 Credits)
[tr]
[td]Cornerstone[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]COSC[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Written Communication[/td]
[td]6[/td]
[td]CLEP - College Comp[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Oral Communication[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]DSST - Principles of Public Speaking[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Information Literacy[/td]
[td]0 (satisfied by Cornerstone)[/td]
[td]COSC[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]U.S. History / Government[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]DSST - Civil War and Reconstruction[/td]
[td]U[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Non-U.S. History or Culture[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]DSST - Intro To World Religions[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Global Understanding[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]DSST - Environment & Humanity[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Literature & Fine Arts[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP - Humanities[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Social / Behavioral Sciences[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]UExcel - Social Psychology[/td]
[td]U[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Mathematics[/td]
[td]3[/td]
[td]CLEP - College Mathematics[/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td]Natural Sciences[/td]
[td]12[/td]
[td]Saylor/CLEP - Intro to Molecular Biology/Gen Chem 1/Natural Sciences [/td]
[td]L[/td]
[td]Yes[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Please critique what I have so far. As you can see I still need to put together 35 credits for electives and I have not found anything for the concentration courses. I only have 15 possible upper level credits so far and I need 30.

Also, on the wiki page it shows 6 credits for CLEP - Analyzing and Interpreting Literature and CLEP - Humanities, but the COSC master exam list only shows 3 credits for each of these courses.

Finally, below are my courses approved for credit through ACE. Does anyone know where these would fit or possibly replace COSC required courses?

Business Law for Insurance Professionals
American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, Insurance Institute of America
AICP-0054 Course 01/15/2014
Commercial Liability Risk Management and Insurance
American Institute For Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters, Insurance Institute of America
AICP-0052 Course 01/31/2016
Commercial Property Risk Management and Insurance
AICP-0051 Course 12/15/2015
Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online course)
AICP-0121 Course 01/09/2013
Finance and Accounting for Insurance Professionals
AICP-0056 Course 03/10/2015
Foundations of Risk Management and Insurance
AICP-0122 Course 02/28/2013
Insurance Operations
AICP-0053 Course 05/06/2013
Strategic Underwriting Techniques
AICP-0142 Course 04/30/2016
Survey of Personal Insurance and Financial Planning
AICP-0097 Course 03/14/2016

COSC Degree Plan - KayV - 05-23-2016

Here's the partnership link for Charter Oak and The Institutes:
The Institutes (AICPCU/IIA) Partnership Program | Charter Oak State College

And more specifically, here is the COSC chart for course credit:
http://www.charteroak.edu/microsite/AICPCU/IIACPUC.pdf

COSC Degree Plan - KayV - 05-23-2016

Charter Oak is pretty consistent with awarding the same type of credit that ACE recommends, so it looks like you have 22 hours of upper level (UL) credit and 2 hours of lower level (LL) credit, based on the ACE recommendations. And congrats on earning that designation!

Business Law for Insurance Professionals AICP-0054 01/15/2014 3UL

Commercial Liability Risk Management and Insurance AICP-0052 01/31/2016 3UL

Commercial Property Risk Management and Insurance AICP-0051 12/15/2015 3UL

Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online) AICP-0121 01/09/2013 2LL

Finance and Accounting for Insurance Professionals AICP-0056 03/10/2015 3UL

Foundations of Risk Management and Insurance AICP-0122 02/28/2013 2UL

Insurance Operations AICP-0053 05/06/2013 3UL

Strategic Underwriting Techniques AICP-0142 04/30/2016 2UL

Survey of Personal Insurance and Financial Planning AICP-0097 03/14/2016 3UL

I just noticed that you asked about general ed requirements for COSC. You can use Rebel100's recommendations as a starting point:
http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-thomas-edison-charter-oak-specific/21986-cosc-using-fema-around-2000-total.html

If you used the DSST Civil War, DSST Business Ethics, and COSC Capstone, you would have all the UL credits you would need.
For the lab science, I have noticed several people recommending SL/ TECEP/ UExcel Intro to Nutrition and doing the Rio Salado Nutrition lab as well.

COSC Degree Plan - dfrecore - 05-23-2016

Regarding the 6cr turning into 3cr, CLEP reevaluated some of their courses and changed them from 6 to 3, and the language courses from 12 (if you got a high enough score) to 9 with that same score. So it will just depend on when you took the exams as to how many credits you will get. I can't remember the exact date that the change took place late last year.

The Managerial Accounting SL course is LL.

COSC Degree Plan - topdog98 - 05-24-2016

A couple of things I noticed:

The cornerstone course fulfills the information literacy requirement. It is lower level and does count as liberal arts.

World Religions will also count for Global Understanding, so you don't need an extra course for that. But you can take Environment and Humanity for part of your science requirement.

You only need 7 science credits and not 12. One credit must be a lab.

Unless you specifically want the Organizational Behavior concentration, you could consider the General Business concentration. The General Business concentration is easily tested out of with any three upper level business topics. I have no idea, but you may already have these electives with what you have earned.

Macro/Microeconomics are social/behavioral science credits, so you don't necessarily need the extra course listed for that.

COSC Degree Plan - BohdanH - 05-24-2016

Thanks for the feedback so far. I've made a couple updates/corrections to my original post.

For clarification, aside from the credit awarded for my insurance designation, I have no other college credit to speak of. So, when it comes to substituting one course for another am I correct in understanding that I will need to choose another exam to make up for the credit? For example, if the Cornerstone course counts towards the Information Literacy requirement (or the Intro to World Religions counting for both Non-U.S. History AND Global Understanding), in theory, I would need to pick those credits elsewhere in order to get to the 120 minimum requirement, correct?

Also, it sounds like I don't have to do the BSBA degree with a concentration. COSC will still allow the degree in general studies with concentration in B.A.? And this would be easier to accomplish?

COSC Degree Plan - topdog98 - 05-24-2016

BohdanH Wrote:Thanks for the feedback so far. I've made a couple updates/corrections to my original post.

For clarification, aside from the credit awarded for my insurance designation, I have no other college credit to speak of. So, when it comes to substituting one course for another am I correct in understanding that I will need to choose another exam to make up for the credit? For example, if the Cornerstone course counts towards the Information Literacy requirement (or the Intro to World Religions counting for both Non-U.S. History AND Global Understanding), in theory, I would need to pick those credits elsewhere in order to get to the 120 minimum requirement, correct?

Also, it sounds like I don't have to do the BSBA degree with a concentration. COSC will still allow the degree in general studies with concentration in B.A.? And this would be easier to accomplish?

I was suggesting that you go for the Business Administration major. But the Organizational Management concentration will be harder to test out of than the General Business concentration. You would replace this:

"Concentration (9 Credits)
Organizational Behavior 3 ? ? ?
Organizational & Group Dynamics 3 ? ? ?
Organizational Theory 3 ? ? ?"

with any three upper level business courses/exams in any business topic such as accounting, finance, ethics, marketing, management, economics, etc.

You are correct that if one course satisfies several requirements, it still only counts as three credits and you need other courses to achieve 120 total credits. However, often these credits can be free electives such as FEMA credits.

COSC Degree Plan - KayV - 05-24-2016

Since you mentioned it, the *easiest* degree for you to complete would be a BS in Individualized Studies with a Focus in Insurance. You already have all the upper level credit you need to complete that major, although you would still need 36 hours total in your focus area and 30 hours total of UL credit.

You could complete the Focus in Insurance by taking more courses from The Institutes or with these courses, for example:

DSST Business Ethics 3UL

DSST Business Mathematics 3LL

DSST Intro to Business 3LL

DSST Principles of Supervision 3LL

Business Law for Insurance Professionals AICP-0054 01/15/2014 3UL

Commercial Liability Risk Management and Insurance AICP-0052 01/31/2016 3UL

Commercial Property Risk Management and Insurance AICP-0051 12/15/2015 3UL

Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct (online) AICP-0121 01/09/2013 2LL

Finance and Accounting for Insurance Professionals AICP-0056 03/10/2015 3UL

Foundations of Risk Management and Insurance AICP-0122 02/28/2013 2UL

Insurance Operations AICP-0053 05/06/2013 3UL

Strategic Underwriting Techniques AICP-0142 04/30/2016 2UL

Survey of Personal Insurance and Financial Planning AICP-0097 03/14/2016 3UL

Be aware that your transcript will list your major as a BS in Individualized Studies, not Business, if you go this route.

COSC Degree Plan - BohdanH - 05-26-2016

Thanks to all for you thoughts. KayV, I will keep your B.S. in individulized studies in mind. Although, I do like the idea of having the concentration in Organizational Management as a way to broaden my knowledge and "pad" my resume. I suppose if I decide to go the concentration route I will need to take those courses through COSC?

Since there is a certain amount of guess work involved without actually having an COSC advisor direct my plan, should I enroll first to finalize my plan, or start testing and racking up credit first? I kind of assumed it would be cheaper to have all the possible credits done prior to enrolling.

Finally, I have nearly 20 years in the business/insurance world, does anyone know which tests in my plan are likely to be passed with little to no preparation?

COSC Degree Plan - topdog98 - 05-26-2016

BohdanH Wrote:Thanks to all for you thoughts. KayV, I will keep your B.S. in individulized studies in mind. Although, I do like the idea of having the concentration in Organizational Management as a way to broaden my knowledge and "pad" my resume. I suppose if I decide to go the concentration route I will need to take those courses through COSC?

Since there is a certain amount of guess work involved without actually having an COSC advisor direct my plan, should I enroll first to finalize my plan, or start testing and racking up credit first? I kind of assumed it would be cheaper to have all the possible credits done prior to enrolling.

Finally, I have nearly 20 years in the business/insurance world, does anyone know which tests in my plan are likely to be passed with little to no preparation?

If you take the Organizational Management concentration, you may be able to use competency exams from CSU Global in the area of Organizational Leadership.

There are pros and cons of enrolling immediately. As you state, the main pro is better access to advisors with concrete information, and the main con is that you will have to pay the semester fee each semester even if you are not taking courses.

I suppose you could take some practice exams such as those from free-clep-prep to decide if there are any exams that you are ready to take with little to no prep.