Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: [TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned (/Thread-TESU-New-Cornerstone-info-CR-NC-only-no-grade-GPA-assigned)

[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - jsd - 06-01-2016

Some more information was posted about the cornerstone. Of note is the fact that it is a PASS/FAIL class only, no grade assigned. This is of note only because a few folks were interested in using it for GPA purposes. There was some limited info up on the TESU site a week or so about this, but looks like they fleshed it out more. Also of note is that it looks like, although you have 12 weeks to finish, you do not need to take the whole timeframe. It's worded as if you can get your "CR" as soon as you finish the work, which presumably won't take long at all.

Here's what the site now says, including the Credit/No Credit info:

Thomas Edison State University | Courses & Schedules
Quote:TES-100 Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies

Cornerstone: Lifelong Learning Strategies is a one-credit, self-directed course focusing on the learning process, University policies, and academic strategies needed to guide you along the path of obtaining a degree from Thomas Edison State University. This self-directed course provides a core foundation of the institution's procedures and resources to help you navigate not only the online learning environment, but the process toward earning a degree. This course imparts practical tips and strategies for lifelong learning, helping you succeed regardless of where you are in your educational journey.

Study Methods:

Self-Directed Courses (TES-100-SD):
Jul 2016,  Aug 2016,  Sep 2016

Semester Hours: 1

Advisory: TES-100 will be a required introductory course for all students enrolling after July 1, 2016. As of July 1, 2016, tuition for TES-100 is nonrefundable.

Additional information about TES-101:
  • The course is designed around online study materials and an associated series of online questions that you progress through without mentor interaction.
  • Course work is structured to help you become accustomed to online learning while evaluating and strengthening your skills in writing, math and information literacy.
  • New course terms begin every month, so you have 12 opportunities each year to register for the course.
  • TES-100 terms are 12 weeks in duration, however the course is self-paced so you have the option to complete on a shorter timeline.
  • Students are encouraged to register for the TES-100 course during their first term at the University.
  • A one-time special tuition cost for enrollment in the TES-100 course is $300 for students enrolled under the Per Credit Tuition Plan.
  • Tuition cost for the course is included for students enrolled in the Comprehensive Tuition Plan.
  • The one credit students earn by taking the TES-100 course can be utilized toward an elective requirement in any degree program.
  • Grades for the TES-100 course will be recorded as CR (Credit) or NC (No Credit) on your transcript and will not affect your grade point average.
  • You can register for the course through Online Student Services (OSS). Look for the "TES Cornerstone" course in the subject list.

And here's info about "Self-Directed" courses:

Thomas Edison State University: Study Methods
Quote:Self-Directed Courses
Self-Directed online courses provide an opportunity for students to learn independently. Like our e-Pack® courses, students have the freedom to move through the course independently at a pace they control. Students are given all of the tools needed to complete the course without supervision. Therefore, Self-Directed courses foster a self-reliant learning experience where students work through the content provided in the course completely autonomously.

[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - jawbreakingrr - 06-01-2016

TESU must have been reading our posts for the GPA.

[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - bjcheung77 - 06-01-2016

jawbreakingrr Wrote:TESU must have been reading our posts for the GPA.

Haha, I am just hoping that taking a TECEP will help me get past that and allow me to skip the Cornerstone.
Hmm, anyone know just in case, where the 1 credit courses are listed? I can't seem to find it on their website.
Maybe I should do another search by courses and just look at the credit column. Anyways....

[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - managerman - 06-01-2016

bjcheung77 Wrote:Haha, I am just hoping that taking a TECEP will help me get past that and allow me to skip the Cornerstone.
Hmm, anyone know just in case, where the 1 credit courses are listed? I can't seem to find it on their website.
Maybe I should do another search by courses and just look at the credit column. Anyways....

The Medical Terminology TECEP is one credit and only costs 38 dollars to take.

[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - alzee - 06-01-2016

bjcheung77 Wrote:Haha, I am just hoping that taking a TECEP will help me get past that and allow me to skip the Cornerstone.

That's exactly what I did, and I found there are only two: PLA-100 and the Jane Austin / Pride & Prejudice one. There is also the 1cr TECEP for Medical Terminology but that will not help with GPA or with residency, though passing it should still count towards enrollment (I think?)

[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - creditmonsoon - 06-01-2016

Quote:You Also Expressed Interest In

Academic Term Academic Program Academic Level
2016 June (UG) General Management Undergraduate

Does that mean I'm in the pre-cornerstone calendar? :/ I just applied

[TESU] New Cornerstone info -- CR/NC only, no grade/GPA assigned - bjcheung77 - 06-01-2016

creditmonsoon Wrote:Does that mean I'm in the pre-cornerstone calendar? :/ I just applied

That doesn't mean anything, it's just mentioning you're interested in that term and program.
You need to be accepted, then in the OSS or MyEdison, it has to indicate so.

Mine shows as follows in both OSS and MyEdison

BSBA in General Management
Undergraduate
2015-2016 Catalog