Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed (/Thread-Hiring-450-teachers-no-education-degree-needed)

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - Mamasaphire - 06-21-2016

Just as an fyi for anyone who might be interested.

It's an article from a few months ago, but according to a friend who lives in that area, they are still hiring.

Savannah-Chatham hiring 450 teachers, no education degree required | WSAV-TV

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - cookderosa - 06-21-2016

Wow did you read the comments? Vicious.

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - davewill - 06-21-2016

I wasn't aware that teachers had to have a degree in education. Wouldn't you prefer a Physics teacher have a Physics degree, an English teacher an English degree, etc...

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - jsd - 06-21-2016

davewill Wrote:I wasn't aware that teachers had to have a degree in education. Wouldn't you prefer a Physics teacher have a Physics degree, an English teacher an English degree, etc...

I honestly thought this was the standard; teaching what you actually spent your time learning and researching. I've never much desired to be a teacher though, so I guess I never looked in to it or thought too much about it.

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - bjcheung77 - 06-21-2016

For teachers in our area, they require a teaching license and also a Bachelors of Education degree.
That degree is actually just 1 year of teaching/education, not an entirely different/second degree.
Most people, if not all, have an BA or BS in some major, and then take this B.Ed program.

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - sanantone - 06-21-2016

Texas colleges and universities don't offer bachelor's degrees in education. You earn a degree in a subject and choose the education track similar to how students choose a pre-law or pre-med track. For those who want to be elementary school teachers, who are required to teach multiple subjects, they usually major in interdisciplinary studies or something similar. However, that doesn't mean that your math teach will have a math degree because you can certify in just about anything. One of my math teachers had a degree in biology. My physics teacher had a degree in microbiology. It was easy to tell that both were out of their comfort zone, and the math teacher with the biology degree was downright horrible and visibly miserable.

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - Life Long Learning - 06-21-2016

There was a major study showing college education students went into college with the lowest HS GPA (compared to about 12 other majors) and the highest college graduation GPA....It was a study on grade inflation.:ack:

davewill Wrote:I wasn't aware that teachers had to have a degree in education. Wouldn't you prefer a Physics teacher have a Physics degree, an English teacher an English degree, etc...

This is not an anti-teacher comment, some of my favorite people are teachers.....
Still, it's entirely possible to be a public school teacher of math or science, with nothing more than a few 100 level classes. It's all pedagogy, which is why (IMO) teachers are so easily offended by private school and home school- if learning pedagogy isn't essential to the student's success, then what?

Life Long Learning Wrote:There was a major study showing college education students went into college with the lowest HS GPA (compared to about 12 other majors) and the highest college graduation GPA....It was a study on grade inflation.:ack:

I saw it too- I think it was in the Higher Ed Chronicle. Across all standardized tests for college admissions, when majors were tracked, the bottom quartile was always education majors.

Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed - Life Long Learning - 06-21-2016

I think it would be good for a math teacher to have a math degree. That being said I understand things happen and schools have to teach with what they have. Good teachers are not a product of their degree name. Good folks when given the chance often are not what was programed!

cookderosa Wrote:I saw it too- I think it was in the Higher Ed Chronicle. Across all standardized tests for college admissions, when majors were tracked, the bottom quartile was always education majors.