Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Walden Universtiy, opinions? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Walden Universtiy, opinions? (/Thread-Walden-Universtiy-opinions)

Pages: 1 2

Walden Universtiy, opinions? - MisterE - 08-24-2016

First off, I am a long time lurker but seldom poster here. Since I'm stepping out of the shadows for a bit I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone on this forum for all of the amazing information and support shown across the board. I have definitely taken more from this relationship that I have given. You all rock. Smile

Now that I have that taken care of, I have just turned in my final project for my BA.SS @ TESU (50+ page capstone paper) and am looking at possible next steps in the form of Graduate school. I am interested in getting an MS/MA in Forensic Psychology and have come across a few options out there in the online world. Walden University has a program that seems like a possible match but I wanted to get feedback from the group here as to both the quality and cost of the program.

Once I complete the Masters I am also toying with the idea of going on to a Phd or PsyD so I need to make sure that the course of study there is congruent with that possible next step.

Thanks in advance and if there is anything I can help answer (like what the TESU capstone is like) then please let me know.

-MisterE

Walden Universtiy, opinions? - jsd - 08-24-2016

I don't have any experience with Walden, but in general I'd avoid the big for-profit insitutions.

I know that's not too helpful, but I wanted to reply because you said you just turned in your capstone at TESU... so did I. Who was your mentor?

Walden Universtiy, opinions? - mednat - 08-24-2016

I don't have much to add here, but it would be helpful to know what you'd like to achieve with the graduate degree.

jsd Wrote:I don't have any experience with Walden, but in general I'd avoid the big for-profit insitutions.

I know that's not too helpful, but I wanted to reply because you said you just turned in your capstone at TESU... so did I. Who was your mentor?

"Mentor" was Dr. Chawla. BTW, congrats on getting that done.

Walden Universtiy, opinions? - jsd - 08-24-2016

Thanks, and same to you! Finally done.

I was switched to Chawla, but saw nothing but bad things about her, so I switched out before the term started, fortunately. By your quotes around mentor, I take it you weren't a fan either?

mednat Wrote:I don't have much to add here, but it would be helpful to know what you'd like to achieve with the graduate degree.

Thanks for asking. I don't need the degree for any sort of work or career purpose. It is mainly a nice to have and more of a bucket list item than a 'life requirement'. I have always had an interest in psychology and I find the concentration of forensic psychology specfically engaging. Having made my mind up on that as a course of study, I would want to eventually get a doctorate in the same discipline (for pretty much the same reason).

jsd Wrote:Thanks, and same to you! Finally done.

I was switched to Chawla, but saw nothing but bad things about her, so I switched out before the term started, fortunately. By your quotes around mentor, I take it you weren't a fan either?

I had no real expectations around the role of the mentor in the course. I am very self-directed and that seems to have served me in the course much more than any type of direction provided. Others may have had a different experience, but as I didn't need much in the realm of mentoring for the work effort, I didn't receive much more than what could be considered the minimal necessary.

Quick add on to this thread:

As I am looking to get a masters (MA or MS) in Forensic Psychology, are there any other suggestions on schools I should be looking at other than Walden? Online is the key as I work full time and don't have the luxury of doing courses full time at a B&M.

Thanks in advance!

-MisterE

Walden Universtiy, opinions? - sanantone - 08-24-2016

Walden University is expensive. Here are some more online programs.
Online Masters in Forensic Psychology Programs
Online Forensic Psychology Master Degree Programs

University of North Dakota looks the most appealing, in my opinion.

Walden Universtiy, opinions? - KayV - 08-24-2016

University of Louisiana-Monroe has an MS in Psychology with a Forensic track:
Master of Arts in Psychology (MA) | ULM University of Louisiana at Monroe