Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? (/Thread-Switching-from-MBA-to-MSML-program-wgu)

Pages: 1 2

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - Mikevalek - 09-22-2016

Is this possible?

So just started Sept 1, want to switch the MSML will help me advance more in my current position.

What's opinion of msml program? Can anybody give brief run down of required oa and password for each course?

Do I have to wait til March 1 or can I start next month? (Do I have to wait til start of next term or just next calendar month?)

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - dfrecore - 09-23-2016

Can you tell me why the MSML would help you advance more in your current position? I'm not sure why they would want that more than an MBA. And, I think overall, an MBA is much more useful and respected in the marketplace.

Not knocking it, as only you know what works best for you, but just curious who told you that this would be a better degree to get.

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - Prloko - 09-23-2016

Mikevalek Wrote:Is this possible?

So just started Sept 1, want to switch the MSML will help me advance more in my current position.

What's opinion of msml program? Can anybody give brief run down of required oa and password for each course?

Do I have to wait til March 1 or can I start next month? (Do I have to wait til start of next term or just next calendar month?)

I agree with dfrecore. The MBA has a lot more utility than a leadership degree. But you already asked this question back in March and it was answered by a lot of folks. Can you be more specific in your situation so we can better help you?

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - dmjacobsen - 09-23-2016

Mikevalek Wrote:Is this possible?

Your student mentor at WGU is going to be a better person to ask. You should be able to switch, but you will likely have to wait until next term. Additionally, you need to look at the courses that you've taken and see if they'll transfer. About half of the MBA courses are the same as the MSML, but if you've taken the courses that don't overlap, you're going to be wasting time.

As others have said, the MBA is generally going to be better. It is more hard skills-focused, while the MSML is more soft skills-focused. While I certainly haven't seen it all, I haven't seen any job listings that prefer a leadership degree over a business degree.

I think the MSML is very appropriate for people in certain positions -- especially public sector -- who just need any Master's to get promoted. Beyond that, you really need the MBA. Yes, everyone else has an MBA, too. But, when the recruiter is using the MBA checkbox as a filtering tool, your MSML is going to get you filtered.

Another option, which may make you even more marketable, is to do both. Knock the MBA out and leave yourself 4 months or so in your last term, then crank out the remaining MSML classes in those 4 months.

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - rebel100 - 09-23-2016

MBA, they shouldn't even be offering that silly MSLS.

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - sanantone - 09-23-2016

I think leadership degrees are useless beyond checking the box. MBAs have enough of the soft skills courses. I don't think it's necessary to take 30-36 credits in leadership courses. Leadership programs are nothing but watered down organizational psychology programs. One would be better off with just getting a degree in I/O psychology.

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - Yanji - 09-23-2016

The only reason I could think of to get the MSML instead of the MBA is if you wanted to check the box ASAP but also intended to pursue a brand-name MBA down the road. Otherwise, the MBA is probably going to be better for you in every way.

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - jsd - 09-23-2016

You also posted this to the WGU reddit last night and got similar answers. This isn't the best idea.

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - rebel100 - 09-23-2016

It might be interesting to see what Masters can be completed in the shortest amount of time, and I've no doubt the MSLS from WGU would be a contender......if it sort of guaranteed less than 6 months then OK. So many folks have slayed the WGU or Patten MBA in that time and it has the utility of actually being an MBA....makes the choice kinda easy.

Go to linked in and see how many folks have an MSLS in the role you seek. Compare that to folks in the role with an MBA.

Look at job boards with the same question. I think you will find the MBA is the overwhelming winner.

Switching from MBA to MSML program wgu? - Goblue34 - 09-26-2016

I completed the WGU MBA and I am starting the MSML Oct 1st. I felt that the MSML was a good tool to become more marketable. Plus, after completing the MBA you only have to take six classes. The MSML is a good second masters but the MBA is the better choice.