Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Course Offering from Saylor.org - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Course Offering from Saylor.org (/Thread-Course-Offering-from-Saylor-org)

Pages: 1 2

Course Offering from Saylor.org - Synicaal - 11-28-2016

Hello All,

I have been seeing a large increase on people using Saylor for credits I was unaware that could be taken from Saylor. Do any of you have a full list of offerings. I checked the ACE website and it still only shows the ones I know of, Soci, Psych, Macro, Micro... I'd really like to update my Cheapest degree spreadsheet with Saylor courses seeing how they are only 25$ for the test.

Course Offering from Saylor.org - jsd - 11-28-2016

https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses

Course Offering from Saylor.org - Synicaal - 11-28-2016

jsd Wrote:https://www.saylor.org/credit/#available-courses

Thanks, this was a huge help!!

Course Offering from Saylor.org - dfrecore - 11-28-2016

The main complaint here about Saylor courses - they are a hot mess. Not all, but most. Lots of broken links, and it's like drinking from a firehose. Too much information. If you went through the courses, it would take you many more hours than necessary to pass the course, but unfortunately, you don't know which is overkill and which is needed.

I think it's a matter of "you get what you pay for" with Saylor - cheap, but not well-laid out courses.

That being said, it certainly couldn't hurt to take the exams cold if you thought you could pass. Or use alternative study methods (KhanAcademy) to try to pass the math courses. Things like that are available to help with some of the courses.

Course Offering from Saylor.org - jsd - 11-28-2016

dfrecore Wrote:The main complaint here about Saylor courses - they are a hot mess. Not all, but most. Lots of broken links, and it's like drinking from a firehose. Too much information. If you went through the courses, it would take you many more hours than necessary to pass the course, but unfortunately, you don't know which is overkill and which is needed.

I think it's a matter of "you get what you pay for" with Saylor - cheap, but not well-laid out courses.

That being said, it certainly couldn't hurt to take the exams cold if you thought you could pass. Or use alternative study methods (KhanAcademy) to try to pass the math courses. Things like that are available to help with some of the courses.

Agreed. If I were to take Saylor courses, I would just get a decent college-level book on the topic, check to see if it mostly aligns with the objectives of Saylor, and hope that the book would be enough to teach me the core basics (and combine that with some common sense). That should get you there.

Take this with a grain ofsalt, since I've never used Saylor.

Course Offering from Saylor.org - rowan555 - 11-28-2016

My son found Intro to Business, Corporate Communication, and Marketing to be rather straightforward in terms of exam material - he did just what was suggested above and mostly used a college level textbook. Scored upper 70s, low 80s on finals. Then he got into the two economics courses and bombed the finals - re-took and Straighterline and did great. He was going to do Accounting via Saylor but has decided to go with Straighterline for that one.

Course Offering from Saylor.org - Notgodot - 11-28-2016

I have a love/hate relationship with Saylor. The first course I took was Business Law & Ethics, which I have a little background in. I read all the material and passed with a mid 80s score. Then I took Principles of Management, which I have some background in, read all the material, and failed with a 69. There is a ton of material in the course, and that is reflected in the test questions. Some of the test questions were ridiculously specific -- trivia questions that no student would highlight while studying.

It really rather discouraged me; it was only my second course attempt on the road to getting my bachelors. I actually took a break from working towards my degree because of it. Then I realized the way to get through Saylor courses with minimal heartburn is to concentrate on the practice exams, and skim through the course material based on the questions presented in the practice exams to fill in gaps. With this method you'll need to take several practice exams to ensure you pass, but the fact is, depending on the course you take, actually studying the traditional way *doesn't* ensure you'll pass. There's just too much information to wade through/try to retain.

Course Offering from Saylor.org - cookderosa - 11-28-2016

Saylor = Curriculum
Saylor /=/ Test Prep

If you are looking for test prep, it's probably not a match. Saylor content isn't aligned with the exams, and will require no less than 60 hours (some >120)

The Saylor list includes all ACE courses when you look it up under the Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem instead of Saylor.
ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training

Course Offering from Saylor.org - Toastmaster - 11-28-2016

Saylor seems confused on the Corporate Communication class. What I mean is, on their site they have the class listed as ACE and NCCRS, but when I go to ACE they don't mention the class lol. Not sure if I have to set up an NCCRS account or not. :/

Course Offering from Saylor.org - Toastmaster - 11-28-2016

You literally just answered my question, we were typing at the same time LOL! Thank you!

cookderosa Wrote:Saylor = Curriculum
Saylor /=/ Test Prep

If you are looking for test prep, it's probably not a match. Saylor content isn't aligned with the exams, and will require no less than 60 hours (some >120)

The Saylor list includes all ACE courses when you look it up under the Alternative Credit Project Ecosystem instead of Saylor.
ACE CREDIT | The National Guide to College Credit for Workforce Training