Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? (/Thread-StraighterLine-English-1-is-it-doable-without-any-college-background)

Pages: 1 2 3

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - Babymich - 02-04-2017

I only need english1 to complete my associate degree. As anyone taken and pass this course through StraighterLine without college level writing background? My time with my current college is ending in September, so I need to complete this course by then. I don't think I would get placed into a English 101 class at a community college now. I'm signed up to do the placement test in a few days and the semesters are 10 weeks long. All inputs are welcome.

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - alzee - 02-04-2017

Few people if any have used SL for English, because the CLEP is so easy and most here are pursuing Bachelors degrees and beyond, and need the full 6cr. That said, given how easy *almost* every other SL course is, I bet English I can probably be done in less than a week, especially if you use something like Grammarly to help with any essays you have to write.

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - Babymich - 02-04-2017

Thank you for the response, but unfortunately my college doesn't accept CLEP English anymore. I only need 3 credits. It's amazing how some students take few weeks to complete straighterline's! I'm really think. I'm also going to try grammarly as you suggested. Thank you very much.

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - cookderosa - 02-04-2017

Babymich Wrote:I only need english1 to complete my associate degree. As anyone taken and pass this course through StraighterLine without college level writing background? My time with my current college is ending in September, so I need to complete this course by then. I don't think I would get placed into a English 101 class at a community college now. I'm signed up to do the placement test in a few days and the semesters are 10 weeks long. All inputs are welcome.

My 10th and 12th grade sons are doing English 1 through Straighterline.
We have the ebook but haven't used it yet. So far, my feedback is that it is pretty time consuming, however, I am having my kids do every lesson/every topic. I realize you can just skip to the quizzes, but so far, there have been only a few that I think a person could have totally passed without the lesson unless you are pretty great at grammar. My kids are average academically. They are both starting lesson 3 and have been in the class since Monday.

Edit to add: If English is not your first language, this class may be hard. Frequently the lesson instructs the student to "trust their ear" when selecting the right word....but that assumes you're in an English speaking community that speaks properly. I think that's a big assumption. We live in North Carolina now, but had my children grown up here from scratch they'd be having a VERY hard time. Beyond the word choice questions, there are your basic "stab yourself in the eye" questions about dangling participles and prepositional this and that....:ack:

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - cookderosa - 02-04-2017

alzee Wrote:Few people if any have used SL for English, because the CLEP is so easy and most here are pursuing Bachelors degrees and beyond, and need the full 6cr. That said, given how easy *almost* every other SL course is, I bet English I can probably be done in less than a week, especially if you use something like Grammarly to help with any essays you have to write.

No way a week unless you do every writing assignment on day 1 and submit them first, then do the class. There are 9 graded writing assignments and 15 quizzes divided over 10 lessons.

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - dfrecore - 02-04-2017

I think lots of people on here use SL for English, probably more than CLEP any more. CLEP used to be more popular. But a lot of people don't like the inconvenience of a testing center, can't get to one easily, or have testing anxiety. So they would just rather do the work of the SL course than do the CLEP exam. ('m not one of those, but I took the English Comp II TECEP because I'd already taken English Comp I at CC).

I don't think you need college-level writing background, I think the entire point of English Comp I is to teach you college-level writing. If they assumed you already had college-level background, then it wouldn't be the entry-level writing course that it is.

dfrecore Wrote:I think lots of people on here use SL for English, probably more than CLEP any more. CLEP used to be more popular. But a lot of people don't like the inconvenience of a testing center, can't get to one easily, or have testing anxiety. So they would just rather do the work of the SL course than do the CLEP exam. ('m not one of those, but I took the English Comp II TECEP because I'd already taken English Comp I at CC).

I don't think you need college-level writing background, I think the entire point of English Comp I is to teach you college-level writing. If they assumed you already had college-level background, then it wouldn't be the entry-level writing course that it is.

And how about WAITING after your CLEP to see if you passed??? Torture.

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - dfrecore - 02-04-2017

cookderosa Wrote:And how about WAITING after your CLEP to see if you passed??? Torture.

The TECEP was the same. I think I waited over 2 weeks for my score!

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - socsci - 02-05-2017

Yes it is pretty straightforward, but you will need to do a few writing projects and a small research project to complete it.

StraighterLine English 1, is it doable without any college background? - Babymich - 02-05-2017

dfrecore Wrote:The TECEP was the same. I think I waited over 2 weeks for my score!

Thank you all for responding. After reading these reviews, I'm now able to decide on the best option To choose. Thank you