Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Tesu bsba? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Tesu bsba? (/Thread-Tesu-bsba--26472)

Pages: 1 2 3

Tesu bsba? - Ideas - 04-11-2017

Edit: So I guess my main question is how much time/money do I save by getting the BSBA at TESU with capstone exam? If I'm already going to Excelsior (or COSC) anyway, maybe I should get the business degree there? I am going to look for some comparisons between the Big Three business degrees. I am leaning toward Excelsior for the non-business degree. Also, I still want to know if my Psych degree would be no longer an option, if anyone knows.

--

I see that if I act quickly, I probably can still enroll and take the capstone exam, to avoid the capstone course. I'm confused on what to do, because the TESU BSBA seems cheapest and quickest, and I don't want to miss the chance. Speed has some importance to me. Cost is fairly important to me.

First of all, if you saw my other thread, I decided a business degree is more important than IT degree. (I'm not going to do IT, except maybe doing a CIS concentration for the BSBA, if I do TESU's BSBA.)

One of my hesistations is I'm pretty interested in a Psychology degree at COSC because I am close to meeting the requirements. I haven't officially been evaluated but I've read a lot, and it seems that I only need 1 DSST, 4 study.com courses, 1 Saylor, and of course the cornerstone + capstone. This is especially good since I may, hopefully, get a study.com scholarship.

If I enroll now in the TESU BSBA, I believe I'm giving up the option for the COSC Psych degree, because of how my Psych credits would not be "new" anymore, right? Or is that not true in this case? Because 21 of my Psych credits will be awarded by COSC for the GRE. I took the exam years ago, so the credits would have been achieved before the BSBA conferral, but they aren't really credits right now, are they? Until COSC awards them.

For TESU, I would only need 1 Saylor and 1 study.com to finish all my Gen Eds. Could I finish the BSBA in 6 months if I put in enough time?

So I'm confused. If I'm already attending COSC for Psych, then maybe I should do the BSBA there. It's apparently less expensive there, even with the capstone fees.

Then, to complicate matters, I'm also considering an Excelsior degree instead of the COSC. I'm done with Excelsior Gen Eds including Information Literacy. If I ended up at Excelsior, maybe I should do my business degree there. (I'm torn. I want the Excelsior degree the most, by a lot, but being hard to test out of, it would take more time and money, and I'm not sure I can stick to it for so long. I wish I could find something else like it, but COSC/TESU don't have. I'm trying to figure out how many courses I'd have to take.)

I feel that I do need the second Bachelors degree in addition to the business degree. I really need one for an existing line of work, and one for a future endeavor. I don't feel like I would do an MBA or other Masters (except for a "mini-Masters").

Tesu bsba? - davewill - 04-11-2017

If you need the Psych degree, then you should just stick to it and get the Psych degree. Getting a BSBA you don't want and apparently can't really use doesn't seem like a good use of time.

davewill Wrote:If you need the Psych degree, then you should just stick to it and get the Psych degree. Getting a BSBA you don't want and apparently can't really use doesn't seem like a good use of time.

I said I needed both. I'm planning on one business degree and one non.

In that case, IF TESU eliminates the TECEP option for the BSBA capstone, it will cost $1497 and 12 weeks to take the capstone vs. $114 and study time. You are correct in thinking that for a second bachelor's, the credits needed for the second degree have to be earned after the first degree is awarded. Unless you've done very little of the coursework for the Psych AOS, I'd go ahead and get that done first.

davewill Wrote:In that case, IF TESU eliminates the TECEP option for the BSBA capstone, it will cost $1497 and 12 weeks to take the capstone vs. $114 and study time. You are correct in thinking that for a second bachelor's, the credits needed for the second degree have to be earned after the first degree is awarded. Unless you've done very little of the coursework for the Psych AOS, I'd go ahead and get that done first.

Thanks... even for the Psych GRE? That one seems questionable because the GRE would not be "gotten" after the first degree, but they are not "earned" yet until COSC gives me the credits for it. You see how it's different? It's confusing.

I have not done the other Psych credits yet, just the GRE ones. (To complete Psych I would be doing 5 psych exams which are only $80 total if the study.com scholarship comes through, and 2 Gen Ed exams, $99 + $25.)

Tesu bsba? - dfrecore - 04-11-2017

I'm a little confused because you threw a lot out there, so I'm going to try to clear up a couple of things.

First, you can study for and take the TESU BSBA Capstone TECEP exam now, even if you end up not getting the degree first. You will still get to use it in your future degree there, so saving ~$1400. There's nothing that says they won't accept the TECEP towards the degree in the future, just that they're no longer offering it after the June term.

Second, I'm not sure that you're not confusing the rules of TESU and COSC. I know for certain that TESU has a rule that you need 24 "new" credits after your previous degree is conferred. But I'm not sure what COSC's rules are with that. You would need to find out more.

Third, TESU will not count the GRE as credits at all.

Fourth, If you plan out the Psych degree at COSC, and then plan out your BSBA at TESU, I'm sure you can easily find 24 new credits that you'd need at TESU to finish the degree (between the Core and AOS).

I need to compare the cost and time to the other schools.

1. If I'm getting a non-biz degree at Excelsior, how much cost and time to get the business degree? I'm reading and Excelsior only needs 9 UL in AoS. Their business capstone is 6 credits - does that mean it's more work or time? I guess that means it costs a lot. Probably much more then COSC or TESU then. However, I see they also have a BPS degree (w/ 3 cr capstone) which I could be interested in. It's not a BSBA of course, but I wonder if the "Business and Management" shows on the diploma.

2. If I'm getting a non-biz degree at COSC, how much cost and time to get their BSBA? I am seeing they need 45 credits in AoS which includes the capstone. I would be ok with General Business concentration since that's probably easiest to test out of. It seems like COSC used to be so much more lenient with their BSBA and now it seems like you don't get choice over what you take. I mean it looks like no business electives, so nowhere to use the TEEX Business credit? That's only 2 cr anyway, but I'm surprised at the lack of flexibility.

I can get Business Statistics done before my ALEKS membership expires, but I've been waiting in case I get the Psych degree first. I want the Business Statistics to count as "new credit" and ALEKS is cheap if I have to pay another month.

dfrecore Wrote:First, you can study for and take the TESU BSBA Capstone TECEP exam now, even if you end up not getting the degree first. You will still get to use it in your future degree there, so saving ~$1400. There's nothing that says they won't accept the TECEP towards the degree in the future, just that they're no longer offering it after the June term.

Ok, so I will plan to do the TECEP. I'm still worried about losing the option to substitute the exam instead of capstone:

In that other thread, socsci said "You would need to be enrolled at TESU quickly to lock in this years degree plan. I guess if you applied, did the TECEP and got the credits onto your degree plan, then you are good to go for one year. If you enroll after the change then you will have to follow the new requirements." So I guess it's uncertain if TESU will add a rule about not accepting this previously-taken TECEP. It seems likely they will add some kind of restriction saying a capstone has to be taken there, no substitutions, etc.

dfrecore Wrote:Second, I'm not sure that you're not confusing the rules of TESU and COSC. I know for certain that TESU has a rule that you need 24 "new" credits after your previous degree is conferred. But I'm not sure what COSC's rules are with that. You would need to find out more.

COSC has the rule and needs 30 new credits.

dfrecore Wrote:Third, TESU will not count the GRE as credits at all.

Yeah, that's why I'm trying to decide if I "have to" do the COSC Psych degree first. I think that all the GRE credits will go to waste unless I do COSC first. However, if I do COSC first, I miss out on the capstone exam TESU option.

dfrecore Wrote:Fourth, If you plan out the Psych degree at COSC, and then plan out your BSBA at TESU, I'm sure you can easily find 24 new credits that you'd need at TESU to finish the degree (between the Core and AOS).

Yeah. It's just that I would miss the capstone exam option, if the other post was correct.

Tesu bsba? - Notgodot - 04-11-2017

Serious question for anyone who knows the answer: is there a reason why a person can't be enrolled at two different universities at the same time? It sure seems like that would make Ideas' life much easier: He/she then wouldn't have to worry much about which courses to do in what order, just plan out all the courses needed total and then take them in whatever order was most convenient.

Ideas Wrote:Thanks... even for the Psych GRE? That one seems questionable because the GRE would not be "gotten" after the first degree, but they are not "earned" yet until COSC gives me the credits for it. You see how it's different? It's confusing.

I have not done the other Psych credits yet, just the GRE ones. (To complete Psych I would be doing 5 psych exams which are only $80 total if the study.com scholarship comes through, and 2 Gen Ed exams, $99 + $25.)
I think that the GRE credits will count, but not as "new" credits towards a second degree because you've taken the exam before the first degree is awarded. Only COSC knows for sure, though. The 5 Study.com courses could be your 15 new AOS credits, plus 6 credits for the 2 GenEds, then you need 3 more courses from somewhere.

I think dfrecore's suggestion of taking the capstone TECEP now and then getting the BSBA as a second bachelor's later will work so long as you do not let your enrollment lapse at TESU.