Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Military Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Military-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. (/Thread-Best-Options-at-TESU-Residency-vs-Waiver-for-Military-Dependent)

Pages: 1 2

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - Silly_Me - 05-22-2017

As a military dependent, I understand that I can get the same pricing as active duty. Is this correct? So, all of my credits are $250 a pop (to include the cornerstone & capstone)? That doesn't sound so bad.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying to accrue the 24 credits for residency. I believe they still allow TECEPS to count towards residency under the Military Degree Completion Program, but I have also heard that TECEPS are horrible. There are a couple that I might not feel intimidated by, but there's no way I could do 24 credits worth of TECEPS.

So... What about spending $250 per credit hour to accumulate those 24 hours for residency? Is that such a bad deal? That's $6000 + books = saving me $2,500 for a residency waiver. Considering I've got quite a few courses I'll need to accumulate for my BA in Biology, I'm thinking this might not be the worst idea in the world.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - Silly_Me - 05-22-2017

By the way... Are the 1 credit Cornerstone + 3 credit Capstone included in the 24-credit residency requirement?

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - 22gunsonfire - 05-22-2017

Silly_Me Wrote:As a military dependent, I understand that I can get the same pricing as active duty. Is this correct? So, all of my credits are $250 a pop (to include the cornerstone & capstone)? That doesn't sound so bad.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying to accrue the 24 credits for residency. I believe they still allow TECEPS to count towards residency under the Military Degree Completion Program, but I have also heard that TECEPS are horrible. There are a couple that I might not feel intimidated by, but there's no way I could do 24 credits worth of TECEPS.

So... What about spending $250 per credit hour to accumulate those 24 hours for residency? Is that such a bad deal? That's $6000 + books = saving me $2,500 for a residency waiver. Considering I've got quite a few courses I'll need to accumulate for my BA in Biology, I'm thinking this might not be the worst idea in the world.

Thoughts? Thanks!

While this forum is a great resource for helping people get the most out of their education you should talk to whomever sponsors your dependent status (mom, dad, spouse, etc) and have them help you contact a services college office in order to get the most up-to-date information. Each branch has their own policies regarding requirements to be eligible. Good luck!

22gunsonfire Wrote:While this forum is a great resource for helping people get the most out of their education you should talk to whomever sponsors your dependent status (mom, dad, spouse, etc) and have them help you contact a services college office in order to get the most up-to-date information. Each branch has their own policies regarding requirements to be eligible. Good luck!

Oh, I'll definitely do that. Does anyone know if the Capstone is $750 for military? That's a 50% savings on the regular price. Not bad, if that's the case.

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - sanantone - 05-22-2017

Military pays $250 per credit hour, period. I can't remember if dependents count; I'd have to check the website. With TESU, requirements do not vary by branch other than that the Air Force has their own transcript rather than the JST. Military is military. TECEPs are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be.

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - ECH90 - 06-06-2017

@silly_me did you find the answer to any of this? I enrolled military option (dependent) not sure if that was the best idea I was told teceps still count as residency for military not sure if this is true or which I should take....

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - Silly_Me - 06-08-2017

@ECH90 - Yes, I can enroll as a military dependent & get all the same benefits as a service member. The courses are $250 pre credit hour & TECEPs do count towards residency (24 hours needed). So, that's definitely the route I'm taking, especially since TESU offers a few of the science courses I'll need for my Biology degree. At $250 per credit hour, it's honestly not that much more expensive than any other four-year university. And, if I can knock out a few TECEPS, I'll have my residency fee waived. I'm definitely on board for that! Smile

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - nnahh - 06-08-2017

I'm enrolled as a military dependent and they waived the cornerstone on my evaluation.

I also think the TECEPs are well worth it. I'm taking my harder AOS courses elsewhere (Straighterline and Davar) and taking easier TECEP's like Principles of Marketing, Computer Concepts/ Apps, Public Relations, Tech Writing, English 2, Psychology of Women etc to fill my business requirements and general electives.

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - dfrecore - 06-09-2017

nnahh Wrote:I'm enrolled as a military dependent and they waived the cornerstone on my evaluation.

I also think the TECEPs are well worth it. I'm taking my harder AOS courses elsewhere (Straighterline and Davar) and taking easier TECEP's like Principles of Marketing, Computer Concepts/ Apps, Public Relations, Tech Writing, English 2, Psychology of Women etc to fill my business requirements and general electives.

Just an FYI, I thought Public Relations was really hard. I passed, but it just was not as easy exam.

Prin of Marketing is new, and has short answer and essays as well as MC questions. So won't be as easy as other options.

Computer Concepts, Tech Writing & English Comp II - definitely recommended as TECEP's, I've taken them all w/o studying and passed.

Best Options at TESU? Residency vs Waiver for Military Dependent. - Silly_Me - 06-09-2017

Is there a reason why so many people suggest English Comp II but not English Comp I (TECEP)? Just curious.