Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Quick Question on getting started. - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Quick Question on getting started. (/Thread-Quick-Question-on-getting-started)

Pages: 1 2

Quick Question on getting started. - JPinkerton20 - 08-17-2017

Hello!

I have been waiting to get started going back to school, until after I passed another industry licensing exam. I passed, and I'm ready to get this done!

I am planning on a TESU Finance degree, I have worked in the industry for years and need about 90 credits. I have a spreadsheet detailing classes to take, and where I can take them. 

But my question is:

Can I just sign up for study.com / SL / Saylor / Clep, and start taking courses? OR should I set up an ACE Transcript first, or enroll in TESU?

From what I gathered, I need to start knocking out classes, once they are finished they will transfer to an ACE Transcript, from there once I am almost done I enroll in TESU and take a class or two, then I'm home free.

What should I do first? I am eager to get rolling TODAY! I can't keep putting it off Tongue

RE: Quick Question on getting started. - quigongene - 08-17-2017

Set up ACE first, as that's where your study.com/SL/etc. credits end up.

RE: Quick Question on getting started. - JPinkerton20 - 08-17-2017

I don't think I've taken any ACE qualified classes, yet. I have the credits from a State school, and community college.

Can I still register and establish a record with ACE before that?

RE: Quick Question on getting started. - quigongene - 08-17-2017

You can sign up for ACE at any point (but you probably should do it before starting at any of the online class vendors). Think of it as a central repository of anything you would take from SL and the like.

RE: Quick Question on getting started. - davewill - 08-17-2017

While you're doing all of that, go ahead and apply to TESU and send in your old transcripts. It takes over a month for the whole process, so the sooner the better.

@davewill

Do you have to take a specific amount of classes to stay enrolled at TESU? My plan is to test out of and transfer as many credits as possible to TESU.

Sorry, I am a noob!

RE: Quick Question on getting started. - dfrecore - 08-17-2017

1) Apply to TESU, and go in and order transcripts from all of your schools (including a copy for yourself, if you don't already have them)

2) Sign up for ACE, it will take about 5 minutes

3) Take a free course like the Insurance Ethics course to get the ball rolling - and then transfer it to ACE, to make sure everything is working

4) Apply for the Study.com/Guardian scholarship

5) Take some more free/cheap courses and transfer them to ACE

RE: Quick Question on getting started. - Ideas - 08-17-2017

(08-17-2017, 03:06 PM)JPinkerton20 Wrote: Do you have to take a specific amount of classes to stay enrolled at TESU? My plan is to test out of and transfer as many credits as possible to TESU.

You only have to take one class per year. Classes are expensive there. You can take a TECEP instead of a class.

RE: Quick Question on getting started. - dfrecore - 08-17-2017

(08-17-2017, 03:06 PM)JPinkerton20 Wrote: Do you have to take a specific amount of classes to stay enrolled at TESU? My plan is to test out of and transfer as many credits as possible to TESU.

You need to take a TECEP to officially enroll, and then another one each year to continue your enrollment.  I would plan at least 2-3 into your degree plan, so that if you take longer than you think, you already have these ready to go.

Also, you need to make sure that you plan these in advance.  You register for them as if they are courses, meaning if you enrolled in one today, it would be for the October term, and you couldn't take it until September 25 (first day of that term).  So plan them out early, so that your year doesn't slip away without you noticing.

Extremely helpful everyone. Thanks!