Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TECEP registration - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TECEP registration (/Thread-TECEP-registration--27813)

Pages: 1 2

TECEP registration - a2jc4life - 10-02-2017

Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one too ignorant to figure out how to register for a TECEP on my own.  The instructions say to log onto the online student services to register.  

So I logged onto OSS, and found the register area, but I don't see anything that looks like an obvious choice, and can't figure out what to select from the drop-downs.  I have a drop-down with Fall 2017 and Nov 2017 on it, and then a place to choose the subject, none of which include Creative Reasoning or TECEP or "testing," or anything that obviously presents itself as being what I need.  I emailed them and was pretty much just given the same instructions over again -- log onto OSS and choose "register."  Still no help figuring out what I want to select after hitting the registration area.

I assume someone here has done this before.  What am I missing?

(And yes, I recognize the irony of apparently lacking the necessary reasoning skills to figure out how to register for a reasoning exam.  Rolleyes   Big Grin )

RE: TECEP registration - bjcheung77 - 10-02-2017

The TECEP is not Creative Reasoning but Critical Reasoning

1) Log into OSS or MyEdison, 2) Select Registration
3) Search, Register, or Drop courses and submit
4) Term: November 2017
5) Subject: Philosophy
6) Academic Level: Undergrad

You will only have 1 option for TECEP

November 2017
Open
PHI-130-TE100 (55719) Intro to Critical Reasoning
TECEP Examination
O. Office of Test Admin
50 / 50

RE: TECEP registration - a2jc4life - 10-02-2017

That's what I meant (Critical Reasoning). Oops. Thank you; I wasn't sure what I should be looking under!

Is it normal for the Lifelong Learning Cornerstone to be automatically registered and charged when all I'm registering for is an exam, no actual courses? If this is necessary by default, that makes this not a very affordable option.

RE: TECEP registration - dfrecore - 10-02-2017

Yes, it's automatically put on there for everyone now, you just need to contact the school and tell them to remove it. Especially if you're enrolled with the Study.com affiliation, which waives it (and if you don't have the Study.com affiliation on your enrollment, you need to add it since it gives you other discounts).

RE: TECEP registration - a2jc4life - 10-03-2017

Oh, good grief. They really don't make this simple, do they? It seems kind of silly that the process is for me to do the registration myself, if they have to be involved in order to take something OFF.

I may have unintentionally stumbled across a workaround. I put in my registration last night, but I didn't pay because they'd added that cornerstone and it was after hours. This morning I woke up to an apparently automated message telling me my registration had been dropped because I didn't submit payment and didn't have financial aid on file. When I started over today -- fully expecting to have to call them to remove the cornerstone -- the system didn't add it. It seems (although I'm not certain of this) that because I'd been through the process already the system didn't read me as a "first-time student" anymore.

RE: TECEP registration - polopoe - 10-12-2017

(10-02-2017, 09:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, it's automatically put on there for everyone now, you just need to contact the school and tell them to remove it.  Especially if you're enrolled with the Study.com affiliation, which waives it (and if you don't have the Study.com affiliation on your enrollment, you need to add it since it gives you other discounts).

Hi I seen you've taken quite a few of the TECEP Exams how hard would you say they are? Can you compare them to CLEPs in regards to difficulty? Thanks for your time. I'm Currently working on a Bachelor of Science in Air Traffic Control and working to achieve it as fast as possible.

RE: TECEP registration - davewill - 10-12-2017

TECEPs are not especially difficult, but the format is a pain. The CLEP lets you run through the entire exam, then go back and review. That way you can get all the questions you know nailed down, then spend time on the harder ones. TESU segments their exams into sections and once you leave a section, you can't return to it. My experience has 5-10 questions per section. Worse, when tests had essays, they were one essay per section. There is no way to manage your time effectively.

RE: TECEP registration - dfrecore - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 03:40 PM)polopoe Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 09:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Yes, it's automatically put on there for everyone now, you just need to contact the school and tell them to remove it.  Especially if you're enrolled with the Study.com affiliation, which waives it (and if you don't have the Study.com affiliation on your enrollment, you need to add it since it gives you other discounts).

Hi I seen you've taken quite a few of the TECEP Exams how hard would you say they are? Can you compare them to CLEPs in regards to difficulty? Thanks for your time. I'm Currently working on a Bachelor of Science in Air Traffic Control and working to achieve it as fast as possible.

I agree with DaveWill, it's not that they're more or less difficult than the CLEP exams, it's the sucky setup of the exam itself that's an issue.  I took 6, 5 weren't particularly hard, but the Strategic Management TECEP was very difficult for me (I failed).  So it's mostly a matter of taking the easier ones there and then going through other means to take anything else you can.

RE: TECEP registration - Ideas - 10-12-2017

It depends on what CLEP or TECEP. I think that UL TECEPs are much harder than LL. Essay questions seem to often be worded in a tricky way. I think TECEP mult-choice are usually not hard if it was a topic you studied. Also, some TECEPs have higher cut off scores than others.

RE: TECEP registration - bjcheung77 - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 03:40 PM)polopoe Wrote: Hi I seen you've taken quite a few of the TECEP Exams how hard would you say they are? Can you compare them to CLEPs in regards to difficulty? Thanks for your time. I'm Currently working on a Bachelor of Science in Air Traffic Control and working to achieve it as fast as possible.

There are a few different ways to study for a TECEP, I've done a few and the main thing I look into is the "TECEP PDF". It tells you the recommended textbook (including edition), the percentage for a pass, amount of questions, and the information it is going to test you on. Compared other types of testing, it's not "hard" per say, and all relative to how people study for the exam.

For you, and others seeking a degree, you should only do a TECEP for one of two reasons. 1) For enrollment purposes.
2) For courses you can't find anywhere for cheap and the TECEP is the only other option. Do you specifically have a TECEP you need to do? Do you have a spreadsheet/template of courses you need for the BS Air Traffic Control?