Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? (/Thread-How-many-LL-and-UL-credits-are-required-for-a-second-degree-at-TESU)

Pages: 1 2 3

How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - Pelican - 12-31-2017

I am confused about the requirements for earning a second degree at TESU. My goal is to earn dual major in History and English (as a second degree), and am preparing a degree plan for both of the degrees.

According to the pages about each degree (BA in History, BA in English), these programs each require 33 credits, 15 must be UL, plus a UL capstone. So, it would seem that I need to complete 66 credits. However, I wonder if I can reduce this amount, potentially down to 45 credits:
  • First, would I need to complete two capstones, or can one capstone be used for bother majors?
According to The Secret to Earning a Second Degree, students need to "complete a minimum of 24 additional credits in the area of study/core beyond the date your most recent undergraduate degree was completed" and "complete all the degree requirements indicated in the [...] Catalog."
  • So, does this mean that I can potentially use credits earned as part of my first BA towards the requirements of this new degree?

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - dfrecore - 12-31-2017

A second degree and a dual degree are completely different beasts. A dual degree is where you earn 2 at the same time, whereas a second degree is where you earn one, then go back after conferral for a completely new degree.

I'm not certain how a dual degree at TESU works, except the BSBA where you have 2 concentrations - but that's completely different than what you want.

If you want a dual degree, someone on here may be able to help you, or else TESU should be able to give you more info.

If you want a second degree, then you can map it out using a lot of credits from your first degree to also give you checkboxes for the English degree later - meaning you can take Survey of Lit (American or British), A&I Lit, other English or Lit courses to be used in the first degree in either Gen Ed or Free Electives, and leave yourself 24cr of English/Lit courses to take for the 2nd degree. A capstone will be required as part of that 24cr.

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - Ideas - 12-31-2017

You only do one combined capstone.

Yes, you can use credits from your first BA as long as you have the 24 new. However I believe it's 24 new for History and 24 new for English.

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - dfrecore - 01-01-2018

Now I'm confused.

Do you already have a degree? And the English and History degrees are going to be the Second degrees? Or do you plan on getting one of those, and then the other will be the 2nd degree?

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - davewill - 01-01-2018

Ok, here's my understanding. For a second degree, you have to meet the requirements for the new degree, and have at least 24 new credits. This means you could do as few as 24 new credits, but you might need more if you don't have much that's useful for the new AOS in your existing credits. The way I read it, you have to meet the new degree's requirement for UL credits, but they can be old or new credits.

For the dual degree it's similar, you have to meet the requirements of both degrees and no more than 9 credits may overlap between the two areas of study. It doesn't matter whether the overlapping credits are UL or LL.

As complex as this situation is, I really think you need to apply and send in your transcripts. Then you'll have evals showing exactly how your existing credits will be used in the new dual degree....and access to advising for detailed questions on how it works.

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - Pelican - 01-01-2018

(01-01-2018, 03:43 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Now I'm confused.

Do you already have a degree?  And the English and History degrees are going to be the Second degrees?  Or do you plan on getting one of those, and then the other will be the 2nd degree?

Yes, I already have a BA degree. I want to earn a second degree that is a single dual major degree. English and History are both useful majors to me, as I work as a middle school teacher..

By my estimation (though I'm still waiting for TESU to complete the evaluation of my transcripts), I'm only 6 credits away (plus a capstone), from a BA in History. I'll I need is a Historical Methods/Historiography class, and another UL class, such as Study.com's History 306: The American Civil War Era.

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - ajs1976a - 01-01-2018

TESU uses the term Area of Study instead of Major. Not sure how much overlap there would be between English and History, but the max is 9 credits. Assuming one capstone can be used for both, than that would be 3 of the 9 credits.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/Two-Areas-of-Study-Within-One-Degree.cfm

I'm running into an issue with overlap as I try to plan out a dual degree between Psychology and Criminal Justice. I have potential overlap between Capstone, Stats, Ethics, Research Methods, and an elective.

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - Pelican - 01-01-2018

I wasn't expecting any overlap between a BA in History and a BA in English, but have a previous BA degree which had some random UL History and LL English credit, so I thought that might mean I only need 24 credits in History and 24 credits in English, minus the 3 credit Capstone, for a total of 45 credits. Plus, I earned a variety of additional community college credits after my BA, so those should take care of quite a bit more.

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - davewill - 01-01-2018

(01-01-2018, 12:10 PM)Pelican Wrote: I wasn't expecting any overlap between a BA in History and a BA in English, but have a previous BA degree which had some random UL History and LL English credit, so I thought that might mean I only need 24 credits in History and 24 credits in English, minus the 3 credit Capstone, for a total of 45 credits. Plus, I earned a variety of additional community college credits after my BA, so those should take care of quite a bit more.
The thing to realize with the dual degree is that TESU considers it to be one degree, so the 24 new credit req should only apply once. I think you might well need a good bit more than 24 credits, but only what you need to meet requirements, not necessarily 24 in each AOS.

RE: How many LL and UL credits are required for a second degree at TESU? - bjcheung77 - 01-01-2018

Pelican, for your BA Double Major in English and History, you need to have 24 credits of English, 24 credits of History and the 3 credit capstone. The 24 credits in each Major are supposed to be courses completed AFTER your first BA. If your community college credits were done after the degree, those would be applicable as long as it's in the area of study.

Technically, you're missing 24 credits of English and 24 credits of History. You can transfer up to 96 credits from your previous degree into the new BA Double Major (~90 credits). In essence, you want to make sure you have 18 UL in each Major, the rest can be LL. Please email TESU to confirm as this thread is getting more confusing by the minute.

Extra Note: One thing to keep in mind, for those reading, the prerequisites would also need to be completed if there are any (example, for those who want to get a Biology/NSM degree or a double major in Comp Sci/Math).