Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? (/Thread-TESU-English-BA-Can-I-get-most-of-my-credits-from-Shmoop-and-Study-com)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - leland.kirk - 01-03-2018

Deciding on an English BA, rather than settling for a BALS. 
I was just wondering if I could get all my credits from Shmoop and Study.com, you know, aside from the Capstone and Non-Western Literature one?
Is the Survey of Literature I & II anything to worry about?

I'm planning on the BYU(IS) Chinese Lit. in Translation - Poetry course whenever I can put together the cash.

Any input is appreciated, and I'm sorry, I thought this has been asked, but I couldn't find the thread on mobile.
Thanks in advance!

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - Ideas - 01-03-2018

Yes, you can. I believe you also need the A&I Lit CLEP exam.

The easiest way to get Survey of Lit II is by taking either the English Lit CLEP or the American Lit CLEP. You get 6 credits per exam. It is more expensive at Coopersmith, but can be done there.

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - leland.kirk - 01-03-2018

(01-03-2018, 12:47 PM)Ideas Wrote: Yes, you can. I believe you also need the A&I Lit CLEP exam.

The easiest way to get Survey of Lit II is by taking either the English Lit CLEP or the American Lit CLEP. You get 6 credits per exam. It is more expensive at Coopersmith, but can be done there.

Ah, rad! Thanks!
Guess I have a little testing anxiety to get over, but if I only need two CLEPs that's not bad at all

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - Ideas - 01-03-2018

Yeah, and most people don't even study for A&I Lit, or it used to be that way. They made it a little harder but I took it a month ago. English Lit is half analyzing as well. I took that the same day.

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - dfrecore - 01-03-2018

You have the option of taking either of the CLEP exams (English Lit or Am Lit), or you can take American Literature Survey I & II through Coopersmith for $150 each (or really, Am Lit I from Study.com and then Am Lit II from Coopersmith if you wanted).

A&I Lit can be had through Study.com if you want instead of CLEP. It's only 3cr instead of 6cr, but you can just make it up with other courses.

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - leland.kirk - 01-04-2018

(01-03-2018, 08:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You have the option of taking either of the CLEP exams (English Lit or Am Lit), or you can take American Literature Survey I & II through Coopersmith for $150 each (or really, Am Lit I from Study.com and then Am Lit II from Coopersmith if you wanted).

A&I Lit can be had through Study.com if you want instead of CLEP.  It's only 3cr instead of 6cr, but you can just make it up with other courses.

So I could probably get away wiiiiiith:
  • BYU(IS): Chinese Lit. in Translation - Poetry ((3cr))
  • CLEP: American Lit. ((6cr))
  • The Institute: Ethics ((2cr))
  • Shmoop: American Lit, American National Gov, British Lit, Classical Lit, Comparative Gov, Contemporary Lit, Drugs in Lit, Finite Math, Foundations of Education, Foundations of Lit, Holocaust Lit, Human Sexuality, Intro to Art History, Intro to Biology, Intro to Chemistry, Intro to Drama, Intro to Film Studies, Intro to Physics, Intro to Poetry, Literature 101, Literature in the Media, Modern European History, Psychology 101, Pop Culture Literacy, Shakespeare in Context, Shakespeare's Plays, Victorian Lit, Western Lit, Women's Lit, World Geography ((90cr))
  • Study.com: Analyzing and Interpreting Lit (Eng. 103), College Comp. I (Eng. 104), College Comp. II (Eng. 105), Intro to Philosophy (Phil. 101), Intro to World Religions (Rel. 101). History of the Vietnam War (His. 108) ((18cr))
  • TESU: Liberal Arts Capstone ((3cr))
For a total 122 credits? Am I forgetting anything? Would Shmoop's American Lit interfere with CLEP's American Lit?

Thanks again you guys, this forum is a godsend.

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - Ideas - 01-04-2018

Keep in mind that Shmoop courses can be a struggle. There are posts about it elsewhere. Some of us planned to do many Shmoop courses, and then after trying one or two, we are trying to do the minimum at Shmoop instead of the maximum.

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - bjcheung77 - 01-04-2018

Honestly, that plan looks solid, but you should have a "backup" plan just in case one or more of those courses don't come in as intended.
So, I suggest completing those courses and sending them in. But be prepared to take a cheap CLEP/Saylor exam if needed.
You may also want to download a spreadsheet made by dfrecore and use it for reference and tracking purposes.
Here's the link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=28257

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - leland.kirk - 01-04-2018

(01-04-2018, 11:33 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Honestly, that plan looks solid, but you should have a "backup" plan just in case one or more of those courses don't come in as intended.  
So, I suggest completing those courses and sending them in.  But be prepared to take a cheap CLEP/Saylor exam if needed.  
You may also want to download a spreadsheet made by dfrecore and use it for reference and tracking purposes.  
Here's the link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=28257

Thanks! I looked at a few of the CLEPs but I guess I just have to do these and see what they transfer as first. Hopefully it works out, just gotta stay motivated

RE: TESU English BA - Can I get most of my credits from Shmoop and Study.com? - dfrecore - 01-04-2018

Don't forget to use Modern States for any CLEP exams you want to take - it's free studying, and FREE CLEP tests.