Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ (/Thread-College-wants-syllabus-from-ALEKS)

College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - heinzmoleman - 01-19-2018

I took statistics through ALEKS and had it transcribed to my ace transcript. Now my school is asking for a syllabus. I searched on the ALEKS site and can't find a syllabus just a page describing the topics taught. Any ideas????

RE: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - jsd - 01-19-2018

They had a few stats courses... Was it intro to statistics? If so, I'd use this:

https://www.aleks.com/about_aleks/course_product_popup?cmscache=site_type:topic&site_type=highedmathstatistics&topic=cocostatistic

There's not really a traditional syllabus since it's not a traditional course. You could also direct them to the ACE description of the course:

Quote:Credit Type:
Course
ACE Course Number:
Organization:
ALEKS Corporation (McGraw Hill)
ALEKS Corporation (McGraw Hill); Northern Kentucky University
Length:
6 -- 18 weeks (60 hours)
Dates Offered:
12/1/2013 - 8/31/2017
Objective:
The course objective is to enable students to gain a mastery of mathematical understanding skills corresponding to given level of study, enabling both practical application and further study at appropriate higher level.
Learning Outcome:
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to perform operations and conversions with whole numbers, decimals, percentages, and fractions; solve and graph linear equations; understand and interpret graphical representations of data and measures of central tendency; compute probabilities of independent and dependent events and conditional probability; compute distributions and confidence intervals; understand sample sizes, power, and errors; perform hypothesis tests; perform regressions; perform ANOVA, Chi-square, and Non-parametric tests.
Instruction:
The methods of instruction include audio visual materials, case studies, practical exercises, and computer-based training. The general course topics include mathematical readiness; descriptive statistics; probability; random variables and distributions; confidence intervals and hypothesis testing; regression and correlation; ANOVA, Chi-square and Non-parametric tests.
Assessment:
The method of assessment is an evaluation by ALEKS which is an adaptive, qualitative assessment producing an inventory of topics mastered and a prescriptive guide to proximal learning with a minimum passing score of 70 percent.
Credit Recommendation:
In the lower-division baccalaureate/associate degree category, 3 semester hours in mathematics or statistics (12/13).

RE: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - Ekelley - 01-19-2018

I would send them both the ACE listing and the pdf from the link above.

RE: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - Life Long Learning - 01-20-2018

Call or email ALEKS.  It's in their best interests for colleges to like their credits.

RE: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - davewill - 01-20-2018

(01-20-2018, 12:09 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Call or email ALEKS.  It's in their best interests for colleges to like their credits.

They'd probably be more interested if they offered courses for college credit any more.

RE: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - dfrecore - 01-20-2018

Dumb question: what's the difference between a syllabus and a list of topics taught?

Since it's not a course taught by a college, they may not have a syllabus.

RE: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - High_Order1 - 01-20-2018

From my limited experience, a syllabus has more data than just a topic list. Enabling and terminal objectives, required / recommended reading, assignments, external references used in building the course, and sometimes a blurb about the person that built the content.

RE: College wants syllabus from ALEKS??/ - cookderosa - 01-20-2018

(01-19-2018, 05:18 PM)heinzmoleman Wrote: I took statistics through ALEKS and had it transcribed to my ace transcript. Now my school is asking for a syllabus. I searched on the ALEKS site and can't find a syllabus just a page describing the topics taught. Any ideas????

Contact ALEKS customer support- they may have a pdf showing full scope and sequence.

(01-20-2018, 01:56 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Dumb question: what's the difference between a syllabus and a list of topics taught?

Since it's not a course taught by a college, they may not have a syllabus.

You're right, and their ask may be a precursor to denying this credit. My money says they think ALEKS is a college.

When I taught college level in Iowa, our district set the template for our course's syllabus. We (teachers) all had to "fill in the blanks" and file it with our department. Topics taught would have been 1 section (along with book, faculty contact info, office hours, objectives, and rubric, etc.)