Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Assistance with degree choice, please? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Assistance with degree choice, please? (/Thread-Assistance-with-degree-choice-please)

Pages: 1 2

Assistance with degree choice, please? - Cheeseburrito - 01-22-2018

Hi all!
I don't know where to begin, so please forgive me if I jump around a lot or don't make much sense.

I am 33 years old. I did not graduate HS, I received my GED in Canada when I was 19. I moved to the US when I was 18.

I've worked in marketing and management since I was 16 for internet companies. When I was 26 I had a bit of a midlife crisis and changed my life-path. Given my limited education I chose to take an EMT course. Years later I received my NREMT Paramedic, which is what I've been doing for 5 years now. This has inspired me to become a PA (Physician Assistant).

My goal right now is to get a BS utilizing life experience, past credit, tests outs (SL/Study.com/Shmoop) to get my 4 year degree done so I can focus on my Pre-PA studies, and then get into Yale PA Online.

Currently I am working on applying to UNM for their EMS degree however they need 24 credits to transfer, then will award 47 for my NREMT-P license. They are currently evaluating my Shmoop ACE transcript to determine if any qualify.

This made me question if this is the best degree and school to pursue a degree with, and if I may have other options that will get me through my undergrad quicker.

Education:
- GED
- EMT
- NREMT - Paramedic

Verifiable Life Experience:
- Management
- Internet Marketing
- PHP / LAMP programming

Saddleback College Courses:
- PSYC 1
- PS 1 (Poli Sci)
- Math 351
- ENG 200

Long Beach City College
- History 1A - up to Renaissance
- PGEOG 1
- GEOG 2
NEXT SEMESTER ENROLLED (Feb 5 starting)
- ANAT 41
- ASTR 1
- COMM 10
- ENVRS 1
- HIST 2B

ACE Credit:
- Algebra 1 - SHMO-0009
- American Gov - SHMO-0039
- Business Comm - SHMO-0050
- Intro to Ecommerce - SHMO-0061

Have a membership with Straighterline.com
- Cultural Anth (pending proctor final tomorrow)
- Chemistry 1 + Lab
- Algebra 1
- English Comp II

Do you see anything that jumps out as a good path? Any schools in particular that may give more credit that others for my experiences/education?
Thank you so much for any help you may be able to provide!

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - burbuja0512 - 01-22-2018

I would suggest that you fully research whether PA schools - any PA school, not just Yale PA would consider you without a traditional degree.   The field is EXTREMELY competitive and I've known people that I consider the "best of the best" with majors such as microbiology and chemistry that have not been accepted.  (That was years ago... so maybe things have changed)

I also worked for almost 4 years at one of the largest medical associations in the U.S. and can tell you that any clinician that holds a degree considered "above" nursing is EXTREMELY picky about academic credentials.     Some are downright snobs.  

This might be different, but based on multiple interviews with physicians and residency directors, I have even removed my daughter from community college and am paying more to have her in a 4-year university to improve her shot at med school.   Granted, she wants to be a physician, not a PA, but the docs I spoke to said that a CC education wasn't rigorous enough.  Since it's so tough to get into PA school, I imagine that there is some comparison.    

I would start off by looking online and then seeing who you can talk to at either Yale Online or any other school.  The Big 3 degree is so amazing for so many people, I just think that any highly competitive field might not be ideal.  Especially one that is so concerned with academic credentials.    Sorry - I hope this post turns out to be incorrect.   Sad

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - dfrecore - 01-22-2018

When you are looking at a particular field, or a particular school, it is always best to work backwards from where you want to go. So, you need to find out what the PA schools want, and then make sure you have that.

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - Cheeseburrito - 01-22-2018

(01-22-2018, 11:11 PM)dfrecore Wrote: When you are looking at a particular field, or a particular school, it is always best to work backwards from where you want to go. So, you need to find out what the PA schools want, and then make sure you have that.

That's a darn smart piece of advice. Thank you!

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - bjcheung77 - 01-23-2018

That's what I would recommend as well, find the requirements and get them done en route to the Bachelors, most Nursing/PA programs will require high grades in the sciences (at minimum a B).  I suggest going to your local state college or choosing NMJC for your science classes online.  Which state are you in?

One way of going through this would be getting a BA in Biology at TESU, it'll be more expensive than a BALS, is it worth it?  Maybe.
You can try going for a BALS first, while you're getting the BALS, take those online science courses as Gen Ed or Free Electives towards the BALS degree.

Here's a similar poster, but they're looking at BSN, not Pre-PA.  Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=28264  
Another strategy to get into a Pre-Med or professional program: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=28248

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - Ideas - 01-23-2018

If they don't take your ACE credits, they probably take some CLEP. Some CLEP exams are 6 credits. I would just take 4-5 CLEP exams to get 24 credits. They can be done in 2 weeks or less. CLEP are also free through Modern States if you are willing to go a little slower. Some schools take DSST too.

TECEP and UExcel are fast options too.

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - sanantone - 01-23-2018

Some NMJC courses are not for science majors. Be careful in selecting your prerequisite courses because some programs will not accept science courses for non-science majors.

You're going to have to think about what you're going to do if you don't get into Yale. I believe University of Wisconsin has a distance program. That doesn't leave you with many options. You might have to consider going through a traditional program.

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - Cheeseburrito - 01-23-2018

See this is why I post here. You all are blowing my mind and helping out so much. Thank you!

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - Cheeseburrito - 01-29-2018

My mind is shot from days of obsessing and studying the big 3 and several others. I've decided the best way to go for now is to test out CLEP in as many circumstances I can, and transfer what I have to TESU for a BALS. In the mean time while I work on smashing our courses, I'll take my big science courses in-person at a facility that my choice schools prefer. This will take a little bit longer, but will ensure I can focus my mental power and study time effectively by doing very well in my sciences, and testing out on course material I know already.

That leads to my question: Can I take CLEP / ACE courses while currently enrolled at TESU?

RE: Assistance with degree choice, please? - davewill - 01-29-2018

(01-29-2018, 06:20 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: ...
That leads to my question: Can I take CLEP / ACE courses while currently enrolled at TESU?

Absolutely.