Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Diploma Mills - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Diploma Mills (/Thread-Diploma-Mills--28635)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Diploma Mills - cookderosa - 02-01-2018

Another thread is hinting that a degree without learning and a diploma mill are the same thing. A diploma mill is when a company that is NOT a legal college sells you a piece of paper that says you've received a credential (bachelor's degree, master's degree, etc) from them or someone else.

To be clear: if I earn a degree from TESU, TESU will issue me a degree. They are legally authorized to do that, so I am totally legit.

If I BUY a piece of paper / transcript / diploma / degree from someone that is NOT TESU that says I graduated from TESU - that is fraud. I'm breaking the law in most states.

If start a company called CookDeRosa University, and I'm not accredited as a university or licensed to issue degrees of any kind - BUT I will sell you a degree for $500 that says you attended CookDeRosa University and earned a degree, then we are BOTH breaking the law.

Legal degree earning is pretty cut and dry - it is clear enough what is and isn't legit.

How much someone learns, what someone pays, how long it takes, and the state you are in have nothing to do with the shades of the question. It's black and white.

RE: Diploma Mills - davewill - 02-01-2018

Nobody ever said that. You just choose to take it that way.

The guy said that if you're not going to bother to learn as you take courses you might as well just buy your degree. It was meant as criticism, not as a statement on accreditation.

RE: Diploma Mills - dfrecore - 02-01-2018

I totally took it that way! Thanks for clearing that up Jennifer.

RE: Diploma Mills - jsd - 02-01-2018

I agree with Dave, it's not what was meant. And he did have a pretty valid point that I mostly agree with.

That being said, I admit that I didn't get much educational value from learning about the ethics of the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct :p

RE: Diploma Mills - homeschoolmom1 - 02-01-2018

I took it that way, too, and I appreciate the clarification once more that TESU is legit, that it is not just a degree that one can buy, and that the amount and depth of actual learning that occurs with these methods or regular 4 year colleges populated by 18 year olds varies a lot from learner to learner.

RE: Diploma Mills - bjcheung77 - 02-01-2018

*sigh* I must be getting old. I can't seem to find the thread that you all are referring to... and yes, I did a search too!
Can someone please link me? Please and Thanks, I just want to re-read what was said...

RE: Diploma Mills - RANSOMSOUL - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 04:59 PM)cookderosa Wrote: CookDeRosa University

This sounds like a new Culinary School that would fit well in Laguna Beach - Sign Me Up!!!

[Image: lizziegrad2.jpg]

RE: Diploma Mills - Murdockb - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 07:54 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: *sigh* I must be getting old.  I can't seem to find the thread that you all are referring to...  and yes, I did a search too!  
Can someone please link me?  Please and Thanks,  I just want to re-read what was said...

Here is the thread...
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-American-Public-University-APU-A-good-source-for-obscure-credits

RE: Diploma Mills - Thorne - 02-01-2018

(02-01-2018, 05:55 PM)davewill Wrote: Nobody ever said that. You just choose to take it that way.

The guy said that if you're not going to bother to learn as you take courses you might as well just buy your degree. It was meant as criticism, not as a statement on accreditation.

I took it just like this, and he's honestly right. If you are earning credits, you should either (a) learn something or (b) know the material beforehand. In the case of Shmoop, some folks just want to burn through it and finish as many courses as possible in a month without trying to learn anything at all, then justify it by implying something like, "I need a degree in less than six months, and I already have 10 years of life experience, so this doesn't really matter."

Now, if someone has read the Bible 9 times through and took a Bible as Lit class, I wouldn't even care if they sped their way through, because 9 times through any material and you've probably got it memorized as best as possible.

RE: Diploma Mills - jsd - 02-01-2018

He even explicitly says in the thread that he wasn't implying TESU was a diploma mill.