Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications (/Thread-Straighterline-COM101-Intro-to-Communications)

Pages: 1 2 3

Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - ChilliDawg - 03-21-2018

Hello all,

I just finished the Straighterline Intro to Communications COM101 course.  I cannot recommend this course enough, if you need to finish up Public Speaking or any form of Communications class.  This was my very last class required to apply for June graduation at TESU.   I am so bad at Public Speaking as far as having anxiety in front of people, that I literally put off taking Public Speaking for my entire 10 year, part time college journey.  I had all of my Upper Level coursework done before I had even taken COM101.

In my opinion, Straighterline is the way to go on this class.  I have seen so many people here posting that they failed the DSST Public Speaking, and asking questions about contesting the results.  I really think you shold go this route, IMO.

I totally dragged my feet and got it done in 5 days. Could have done it in 3 days with a little more effort.  I completed the class with a 92, and that is taking into account that I didn't even remotely care about my Final Exam score. I blew through the proctored final in 16 minutes, and got a 70 on it, and still got a 92 in the class.  

I actually enjoyed writing my presentations.  I researched and wrote them in down time at work.  I work in an on-call, wait around for Emergency type of job. I wrote each presentation in no more than a couple of hours.   She gave me a 10/10 on my Intro. 98% on my Informative, and 98% on my Persuasive.  I used the built in webcam on my laptop, and the Camera program that is embedded in Windows 10.  Setting up a quick dummy Youtube page was relatively simple.  I submitted my videos as "unlisted".  I found the Instructor grading comments to be interesting and informative.  Really, a fun all around process to do this class.  

I am not saying that it is a lay-down or worthless class.  I am simply saying that it was really a lot more fun and fairly quick process, once I got rolling.  I wish I had not dragged my feet for so long.  

Hope this helps anyone that might be dreading Public Speaking, like I did.

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - kevinmane - 03-21-2018

Does this class satisfy the Oral Requirement at TESU?

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - ChilliDawg - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 10:57 AM)kevinmane Wrote: Does this class satisfy the Oral Requirement at TESU?

Yes, it does.

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - Toastmaster - 03-21-2018

Thank you, for this...I am one of those people who are dragging their feet.

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - scout2family - 03-22-2018

I am also putting it off 'til last! I have anxiety AND A.D.D. I'll keep SL in mind. Thank you!

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - teacher2 - 03-23-2018

Having taken the class as well I second ChiliDawgs review! Once you dig into your topic, it actually is pretty amazing how confident you feel going into it. I think its one of SL best classes and I am so thankfully I didn't go the DSST route!

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - coastermom - 05-24-2018

(03-21-2018, 09:50 AM)ChilliDawg Wrote: Hello all,

I just finished the Straighterline Intro to Communications COM101 course.  I cannot recommend this course enough, if you need to finish up Public Speaking or any form of Communications class.  This was my very last class required to apply for June graduation at TESU.   I am so bad at Public Speaking as far as having anxiety in front of people, that I literally put off taking Public Speaking for my entire 10 year, part time college journey.  I had all of my Upper Level coursework done before I had even taken COM101.

In my opinion, Straighterline is the way to go on this class.  I have seen so many people here posting that they failed the DSST Public Speaking, and asking questions about contesting the results.  I really think you shold go this route, IMO.

I totally dragged my feet and got it done in 5 days. Could have done it in 3 days with a little more effort.  I completed the class with a 92, and that is taking into account that I didn't even remotely care about my Final Exam score. I blew through the proctored final in 16 minutes, and got a 70 on it, and still got a 92 in the class.  

I actually enjoyed writing my presentations.  I researched and wrote them in down time at work.  I work in an on-call, wait around for Emergency type of job. I wrote each presentation in no more than a couple of hours.   She gave me a 10/10 on my Intro. 98% on my Informative, and 98% on my Persuasive.  I used the built in webcam on my laptop, and the Camera program that is embedded in Windows 10.  Setting up a quick dummy Youtube page was relatively simple.  I submitted my videos as "unlisted".  I found the Instructor grading comments to be interesting and informative.  Really, a fun all around process to do this class.  

I am not saying that it is a lay-down or worthless class.  I am simply saying that it was really a lot more fun and fairly quick process, once I got rolling.  I wish I had not dragged my feet for so long.  

Hope this helps anyone that might be dreading Public Speaking, like I did.

Hi - how long does it take for your presentations to be graded?  Thanks!

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - teacher2 - 05-24-2018

Mine took between two to three days. But I submitted the intro and the info one together and I received the results back together.

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - coastermom - 05-25-2018

@Teacher2 - thanks!!! Did you do well? Did you feel they were strict in the grading? I only submitted the first one, but have the second ready. I was waiting for feedback in case I wanted to make adjustments. Thanks again!

RE: Straighterline - COM101 Intro to Communications - teacher2 - 05-25-2018

I felt there scoring was pretty fair maybe even generous! My scores on the speeches were in the upper 90s I think the last one I got a 97? If you write them out well and even “act” pretty good you should pass them on the first submission!