Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Shmoop required materials - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Shmoop required materials (/Thread-Shmoop-required-materials)

Pages: 1 2

Shmoop required materials - rachel83az - 03-21-2018

How often are the "required materials" actually required for Shmoop? I just subscribed and opened up "Literature in the Media" to see that you're supposed to have digital access to the NYT and New Yorker, along with a bunch of books and movies you're supposed to watch/read. 

Are these things actually necessary or can you pass Shmoop courses without having to deal with this stuff?

RE: Shmoop required materials - davewill - 03-21-2018

You can get student access to the NYT for $1 per week. You can get student access to the New Yorker at a 12 weeks for $6 introductory rate. Both include full archival access. Of course you'll have to actually be a student somewhere.

RE: Shmoop required materials - rachel83az - 03-21-2018

Hmm. I'll have to look for those.

But is it this a common thing with Shmoop? I was under the impression that Shmoop included everything, but I guess that explains why it's cheaper than the other providers.

RE: Shmoop required materials - Ideas - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 04:02 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Hmm. I'll have to look for those.

But is it this a common thing with Shmoop? I was under the impression that Shmoop included everything, but I guess that explains why it's cheaper than the other providers.

I think it's common for the Lit courses to need books. Another user here was a bit upset that after enrolling she had to spend a week gathering up the books and movies that were required, wasting some of the membership time.

RE: Shmoop required materials - xjarhead1999 - 03-21-2018

I was considering trying Shmoop next month. This kind of makes me rethink it. Don't want to waste time having to go look for stuff.
A list of classes that outside sources are needed would be nice to see. Could gather everything ahead of time to avoid wasting membership time.

RE: Shmoop required materials - rachel83az - 03-21-2018

If you want to PM me a list of what you'd take at Shmoop, I'll let you know what the required materials are (if any). They really ought to have this information available beforehand.

RE: Shmoop required materials - xjarhead1999 - 03-21-2018

(03-21-2018, 06:54 PM)rachel83az Wrote: If you want to PM me a list of what you'd take at Shmoop, I'll let you know what the required materials are (if any). They really ought to have this information available beforehand.
I appreciate that. Right now I'm not sure though. I've only glanced over their courses. Haven't compared to degree plans I have yet. I still am working on study.com courses until the end of next month. That's when I was looking at doing a month at Shmoop to see if I like it.

RE: Shmoop required materials - originalamyj - 03-22-2018

I took 5 of the lit courses from them and never used an outside book. Most of the books are available with Shmoop summaries. And if they don't have them, someone does. I found Holocaust Lit to be the hardest. Shmoop doesn't have a summary of one of the books (The Sunflower), but it was described in detail in the unit. And I admit to getting very confused by Everything is Illuminated (book and movie).

Their other courses are likely to have all the books either in their database or somewhere online.

RE: Shmoop required materials - jsh1138 - 03-22-2018

my experience with Shmoop is that you can pass the courses purely with the summaries Shmoop provides you. I would not buy any materials to take the courses if i were you, especially because some of them literally "require" you to buy 40 books or something ridiculous like that

Holocaust Lit asks you for something like 6, 3 of which I already owned, and I passed the sections on the other 3 no problem. Just really read the summaries closely and you'll be fine

RE: Shmoop required materials - rachel83az - 03-22-2018

Wasn't planning on buying anything since I think most of the stuff can be found at the library. But not having to acquire them at all is even better.