Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison (/Thread-Free-Sophia-and-TEEX-with-Thomas-Edison)

Pages: 1 2

Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison - Dowew - 04-05-2018

Hi guys, I'm trying to flesh out my friend's degree using the free sources of credit.  I know the two free Sophia courses transfer to Thomas Edison, but do the TEEX Cybersecurity courses transfer as well?  And can these be used to fulfill General Education Electives ?

RE: Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison - Merlin - 04-06-2018

(04-05-2018, 10:07 PM)Dowew Wrote: Hi guys, I'm trying to flesh out my friend's degree using the free sources of credit.  I know the two free Sophia courses transfer to Thomas Edison, but do the TEEX Cybersecurity courses transfer as well?  And can these be used to fulfill General Education Electives ?

All are accepted by TESU. However, of those, only 2 of them can be used as GenEd electives:

Sophia - Essentials of Managing Conflict (SOS-240 @ 1cr)
TEEX - Cyber 301: Cybersecurity for Business Professionals (CIS-344 @ 2cr)

The Sophia Developing Effective Teams course (HRM-299) is considered a free elective unless applied to a management-related AOS (such as BSOL or BSBA GM / HRM / OM). The TEEX Cyber 101 and 201 (CAP-295 & CAP-385) courses are free electives unless applied to a CS-related AOS.

RE: Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison - allvia - 04-06-2018

This is where things seem to have no rhyme or reason.  TESU placed both TEEX Cyber 201 & 301 into Gen Eds for my non-CIS BSBA degree; and they are posted as CAP-385 & CIS-344 respectively (and completely ignored other B&M CIS course credits I have in my evaluation).

I like to think that the 1 credit for Sophia - Essentials of Managing Conflict (SOS-240 @ 1cr) coming in as a Gen Ed, makes up for the one credit shortage created when using The Institutes free Ethics course (2 credits) to meet the requirement.

RE: Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison - MooSaysCow - 04-06-2018

The ACE system lists the 3 TEEX courses as offered till 05/31/2018. I'm unsure if they'll be renewed, but I think this info is irrelevant when you get them transferred to TESU before that date. Hopefully, someone has an answer.

(04-06-2018, 06:33 AM)allvia Wrote: This is where things seem to have no rhyme or reason.  TESU placed both TEEX Cyber 201 & 301 into Gen Eds for my non-CIS BSBA degree; and they are posted as CAP-385 & CIS-344 respectively (and completely ignored other B&M CIS course credits I have in my evaluation).

I like to think that the 1 credit for Sophia - Essentials of Managing Conflict (SOS-240 @ 1cr) coming in as a Gen Ed, makes up for the one credit shortage created when using The Institutes free Ethics course (2 credits) to meet the requirement.

Hmm, that is unusual. Hopefully, it doesn't end up being a problem when the pre-graduation audit comes around.

(04-06-2018, 07:24 AM)MooSaysCow Wrote: The ACE system lists the 3 TEEX courses as offered till 05/31/2018. I'm unsure if they'll be renewed, but I think this info is irrelevant when you get them transferred to TESU before that date. Hopefully, someone has an answer.

They don't need to be transferred to TESU before they expire; they just need to be completed and added to your ACE before then.  But you are correct that with this date being near if you're going to want to use them you should take them now, as they may not be available later (after 05/31/18)

(04-06-2018, 07:24 AM)MooSaysCow Wrote: The ACE system lists the 3 TEEX courses as offered till 05/31/2018. I'm unsure if they'll be renewed, but I think this info is irrelevant when you get them transferred to TESU before that date. Hopefully, someone has an answer.

Yeah, they are on an extension as they were slated to expire at the end of February. Pretty sure they are expecting to see them renewed, but it's always best to err on the side of caution and try to complete them before the end of the extension to be safe. As long as they are completed with a passing score by 5/31 they can still be transcripted with ACE.

RE: Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison - jsd - 04-06-2018

Right, as long as you complete the course before expiration, you'll be okay. I think it is likely TEEX gets renewed, but there is no guarantee.

Edit: Merlin beat me to it.

RE: Free Sophia and TEEX with Thomas Edison - MSK9 - 04-06-2018

(04-06-2018, 06:33 AM)allvia Wrote: This is where things seem to have no rhyme or reason.  TESU placed both TEEX Cyber 201 & 301 into Gen Eds for my non-CIS BSBA degree; and they are posted as CAP-385 & CIS-344 respectively (and completely ignored other B&M CIS course credits I have in my evaluation).

You can talk to the academic advisors. They'll work with you to move stuff around. My original evaluation didn't make much sense. I called and told the advisor the way I wanted things moved around (based on my Excel spreadsheet); she made it work.

(04-06-2018, 09:18 AM)MSK9 Wrote:

You can talk to the academic advisors. They'll work with you to move stuff around. My original evaluation didn't make much sense. I called and told the advisor the way I wanted things moved around (based on my Excel spreadsheet); she made it work.

Thank you for the recommendation. Alas, I have already been through the full appeal process on my credits already - in the end they want what they want, and give you credit as they deem appropriate.  I've adjusted and am going with "plan B" degree path.