Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers (/Thread-New-Sophia-Course-Ancient-Greek-Philosophers)

Pages: 1 2

New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - BSLIONS - 04-21-2018

Ancient Greek Philosophers

Are values relative or absolute? What is truth? The ancient Greek philosophers were among the first to ask fundamental questions about human existence, and this course provides an overview of key figures such as Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle and examines their role in shaping history and society. The course will also apply philosophical lenses to analyze some of life’s “big questions “ with new depth and perspective

ACE - 3  Credits - $149 

https://www.sophia.org/online-courses/ancient-greek-philosophers

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - jsh1138 - 04-21-2018

cool, i'll check it out

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - jsh1138 - 04-22-2018

after looking it over, i'll definitely take it. might be a month or two though. Good course to get everyone a little closer to that fully online Philosophy BA

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - alleycat - 04-22-2018

Wonder if it will come in at uppper level.

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - dfrecore - 04-22-2018

(04-22-2018, 10:56 AM)alleycat Wrote: Wonder if it will come in at uppper level.

If it's ACE-recommended as LL, then TESU will most likely bring it in as LL.  They seem to be aligning more closely with ACE these days, and for a new course it's almost a guarantee.

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - mysonx3 - 08-23-2018

How are Sophia courses structured? Are they pretty easy to breeze through when you have prior knowledge? Philosophy has been a hobby of mine for a while so I'm hoping this can be a quick source of credits in an area that interests me

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - MNomadic - 08-23-2018

(08-23-2018, 10:48 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: How are Sophia courses structured? Are they pretty easy to breeze through when you have prior knowledge? Philosophy has been a hobby of mine for a while so I'm hoping this can be a quick source of credits in an area that interests me

Yes you can look at the assignment and if you know the answer, just do it. If you don't, you can look at the lecture/study guide. Usually they have 2 options; a video lecture and a written out guide. I can usually just scroll through the written out guide to find the info I need for the assignment. So yes, for subjects you are already knowledgeable on, you can breeze through pretty quickly. Even if you're learning from scratch, it's fairly quick.

After 3 assignments, they give you a test. The test is open book so you can always just reference the study guides if you need. This process usually repeats for a total of 2-3 times.

Try out the 2 free Sophia courses to get a feel for how they're structured.

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - katelynn - 08-23-2018

(08-23-2018, 10:48 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: How are Sophia courses structured? Are they pretty easy to breeze through when you have prior knowledge? Philosophy has been a hobby of mine for a while so I'm hoping this can be a quick source of credits in an area that interests me

I thoroughly enjoyed this course, with very little previous knowledge of the Greek philosophers. It was a breeze to get through, and that was with me taking notes on everything, as I thought the final test would cover a larger portion of the modules than it actually did. 

A bit of advice: make separate charts that list the different beliefs of Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates. Most of your test questions will center around pinning which philosophy belongs to which philosopher. The differences in their beliefs are sometimes very slight, so having the chart to remind yourself will help avoid confusion. You'll learn about some of the lesser-known philosophers as well, but you won't be asked about them much.

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - Mab81 - 08-26-2018

I’m doing Art History right now and I love it. So much more easy to make myself do schoolwork when the class is enjoyable. Even tho it’s more expensive I’m going to do as many Sophia courses as I can. I hope they keep issuing coupons.

RE: New Sophia Course - Ancient Greek Philosophers - mysonx3 - 08-31-2018

Just finished this course, and I must say the Sophia format makes it quite easy to take advantage of pre-existing knowledge (which is exactly what I did - I'm a major philosophy dork). Although this obviously won't be the case for people who haven't spent so much time reading about philosophy, but for me this was the easiest three credits I've gotten. Now off to do the two Sophia freebies!