Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? (/Thread-For-Harvard-Extension-School-do-you-take-the-admissions-requirement-courses-first)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - leland.kirk - 05-09-2018

Just curious if one could take the Poetry in America courses, and then maybe take the HES admissions requirement courses after the fact, and still have the PiA ones applied to your grad degree requirements? Or do they require you to take things in order?

Also, how easy are these to transfer to other grad schools that take transfer credit?

Thanks in advance, and here's the link for anyone that might not know what I'm talking about:
http://www.poetryinamerica.org/programs/poetry-in-america-for-credit/

RE: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - cookderosa - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 03:38 AM)leland.kirk Wrote: Just curious if one could take the Poetry in America courses, and then maybe take the HES admissions requirement courses after the fact, and still have the PiA ones applied to your grad degree requirements? Or do they require you to take things in order?

Also, how easy are these to transfer to other grad schools that take transfer credit?

Thanks in advance, and here's the link for anyone that might not know what I'm talking about:

They do not have to be in order. We expect 5 of the poetry courses over this academic year. I will surely wait to decide until I've done all 5. (unless I get antsy and pull the trigger early and take the Proseminar which will be offered Spring 19 as an online live with 1 learning weekend....ohhhhh so tempting)

RE: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - alexf.1990 - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 03:38 AM)leland.kirk Wrote: Just curious if one could take the Poetry in America courses, and then maybe take the HES admissions requirement courses after the fact, and still have the PiA ones applied to your grad degree requirements? Or do they require you to take things in order?

You can go this route, just be careful that this will "start the clock" on your graduation time though. Depending on the program, you have 5 or 6 years to finish your degree (depending on the program) from the time you begin taking classes. The credits are dropped on a rolling basis, so if 5 or 6 years from now, you still haven't finished your degree, these poetry courses will "fall off" your transcript and no longer be used as credits towards your degree.

As for admissions. You can take the courses in any order. They impose a fee of 100 or $200 if you apply to be admitted after you've already completed too many courses. I don't remember the exact number of courses that triggers this fee, but its around 5 or 6. Theoretically, you could take all the courses required to graduate before your admitted, then take the courses required for enrollment, so long as you're fine with paying that fee.

RE: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - leland.kirk - 05-09-2018

Thank you both!

Really tempting but I'm not sure I could maintain the 3.0GPA required, aha

RE: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - alexf.1990 - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 04:20 PM)leland.kirk Wrote: Thank you both!

Really tempting but I'm not sure I could maintain the 3.0GPA required, aha

It's a challenging program, for sure. You have 5-6 years to finish the 12 courses required in the program though. Just one course a semester over that period would be enough to graduate on time. I've been looking into the ALM in Finance myself. I'll have completed the CORe program at the end of this month, then I'll need to take one course to be admitted.

Does anyone else have any experience with HES? The Extension School Grant is of particular interest. With that grant, you can space your courses out enough to bring the total cost under $15,000 for a masters. I'm not sure what the income requirements are for that grant though, or how many slots they have available.

RE: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - leland.kirk - 05-09-2018

(05-09-2018, 04:48 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: It's a challenging program, for sure. You have 5-6 years to finish the 12 courses required in the program though. Just one course a semester over that period would be enough to graduate on time. I've been looking into the ALM in Finance myself. I'll have completed the CORe program at the end of this month, then I'll need to take one course to be admitted.

Does anyone else have any experience with HES? The Extension School Grant is of particular interest. With that grant, you can space your courses out enough to bring the total cost under $15,000 for a masters. I'm not sure what the income requirements are for that grant though, or how many slots they have available.

Curious as well. I remember seeing their lists of grants and scholarships but not seeing much information on them.

I imagine we'll start seeing related posts when the Poetry in America courses start for the summer term!

(05-09-2018, 05:50 PM)leland.kirk Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 04:48 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: It's a challenging program, for sure. You have 5-6 years to finish the 12 courses required in the program though. Just one course a semester over that period would be enough to graduate on time. I've been looking into the ALM in Finance myself. I'll have completed the CORe program at the end of this month, then I'll need to take one course to be admitted.

Curious as well. I remember seeing their lists of grants and scholarships but not seeing much information on them.

I imagine we'll start seeing related posts when the Poetry in America courses start for the summer term!

The people taking the Poetry in America courses will probably be doing it on an ad hoc basis, I doubt they'll have much information on the grants or scholarships. The Extension School Grant is need-based and gives half off your fall and spring tuition, as well as one free course during the summer. There aren't any published statistics on it though. I've read a few posts from people who got the grant, but nobody gave specifics on their income. One of the posts indicated that the person had an income high enough to be surprised when he was offered the grant. It's also worth noting that Harvard has the largest endowment of any university, so the threshold income could be quite high.

(05-09-2018, 06:21 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: The people taking the Poetry in America courses will probably be doing it on an ad hoc basis, I doubt they'll have much information on the grants or scholarships. The Extension School Grant is need-based and gives half off your fall and spring tuition, as well as one free course during the summer. There aren't any published statistics on it though. I've read a few posts from people who got the grant, but nobody gave specifics on their income. One of the posts indicated that the person had an income high enough to be surprised when he was offered the grant. It's also worth noting that Harvard has the largest endowment of any university, so the threshold income could be quite high.

Ah, right on. I'm interested in hearing what their experiences are in general.

I definitely imagine a few other people thought of going from taking a Poetry in America course or two from pursuing a graduate degree from HES, and I'd definitely hope they'd apply for scholarships and grants if they did.

I've also heard that some online HES courses require a trip to a testing center for finals, which would be a dealbreaker for me as someone who isn't always located in the States, but this may be outdated information.

RE: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - alexf.1990 - 05-10-2018

(05-09-2018, 11:01 PM)leland.kirk Wrote: I've also heard that some online HES courses require a trip to a testing center for finals, which would be a dealbreaker for me as someone who isn't always located in the States, but this may be outdated information.

I can't speak to all HES courses, but the CORe course requires you to take the final at a Pearson testing center. It's multiple choice and computer-based so this would probably be a unique situation. I'd estimate that 50-70% of the students in my CORe cohort are overseas.. I've also heard from students at HES who said that the ratio of foreign to US citizens is 4:1. I suspect that finding an approved testing center for the final won't be a problem, if a testing center is even required at all.

RE: For Harvard Extension School, do you take the admissions requirement courses first? - cookderosa - 05-10-2018

For anyone interested, there is an edX Poetry Whitman course (free) you can take with the same instructor. I'm working through it now to get my feet wet.
HarvardX: AmPoX.3
Poetry in America: Whitman

I've taken grad courses (3) at HES but they are too old to use toward a degree. They do fall off, however, if you don't need a degree, it doesn't matter. In my case, I did think I was going to pursue a degree when I started. The first courses I took were Psychology and Statistics because my TESU degree was in Social Science and I thought I might go that direction. The classes were perfect in every aspect, but psychology as a career in the counseling/helping wasn't for me, so I let that go. Later, I took a course in Biology because I worked my way through the pre-nursing/pre-med sciences and I strongly weighed my options for nursing/medicine - and also, the course was perfect - engaging, tough, interesting, a "dig deep" kind of thing. I used my sciences as the prereqs for a nutrition master instead, pulling from my background and staying in my field.

I didn't have the resources to pay cash- something you have to do if you're not an enrolled degree-seeking student. For the poetry set, I do have the resources to pay cash, so I'm getting after it. Wink

Part 2, I wasn't able to leave my family for the full semester on campus requirement that is part of the psychology/biology degree tracks. English is different because my cursory research shows the potential of doing the on campus courses over several learning weekends. Weekends I can do. Nevermind that my kids are older now, it's just less logistics and cost to figure out. Further, there are at least 3 here doing these courses, plus another 3 in my homeschooling facebook community, so I'll in a cohort with 6 other people. The "go alone" factor would be somewhat mitigated by knowing my peeps will also be there. Sounds fun to me actually. Wink

So, I think I can say that I'm going to do all 4-5 of these at $200 if only for the fact that it adds a teaching block for me (ENG teachers at the community college = insane demand) and I'm not ruling out the proseminar this spring because it is live online with 1 learning weekend. (full price) and that's one of the degree requirements for this degree. In other degrees, there are still barriers and a full semester courses - though I haven't looked through them all.

PS In my past courses, the professor required students living within a X-State area to come to campus for midterm/final. It might have been 4-5 state area, I don't recall. I was in Illinois, and secured a local proctor through my community college at no charge for my mid/finals. For this class, it looks like we don't have any proctored exams, just writing.