Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan (/Thread-Please-Review-My-Credits-Help-Me-Choose-a-Degree-Plan)

Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan - warriortaupou - 05-17-2018

Hi All!

I posted here before...but made no traction on my degree. I was really confused by the whole process when I posted originally (last time). It's another year and basically I got passed up for promotion yet again because I don't have a minimum of a Bachelors/Masters. Good enough to train everyone and my supervisors/managers and do the job of the next level up, but never good enough to receive the promotion/pay. Always a bridesmaid but never a bride Confused

I need help in choosing a school and degree plan that is both SUPER FAST and CHEAPEST OPTION. Although, I would choose fast over cheap. I am willing to look at all options: TESU, COSC, PATTEN, WGU, etc. I still want to focus on a English/Psychology/History degree; but, I am very willing to consider others if it would be quicker than these. I prefer a regionally accredited university. I have my AA in General Studies and a few Religion courses that I was working toward by BA...but that's just too costly at this point ($900/credit hour). I could complete it fairly quick in a year if I drastically increase my workload...but it will end up costing me $12,000 more just to complete my degree in Religious Studies.

I've looked at some of the posted (mainly TESU) degree plans on here...and I've got to say I'm still lost. I'm posting what I tried to come up with but if someone can really point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. I signed up for a Study.com account and also with Straighterline. 

Pls check out my attached degree plan (I've included credits earned in a separate word document)...I really need more guidance to figure out how to do this.

thank you...!!!

RE: Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan - dfrecore - 05-17-2018

I can do a TESU BALS for you.  It's going to be THE FASTEST degree at TESU.

First, sending a single transcript when you have multiple schools isn't as helpful as showing ALL of the courses you took from each institution.  But, I can figure most of it out, except the transfer from St. Leo (you didn't say which course that was).  If you say what that was, it would be helpful.

Then, there are some courses that I know for sure where they go, and others that I just don't. So I did the best I could.  The one I don't know is Database Applications, so you'd have to see where they put that one.  But assuming that it's LL, and not an actual CIS course, it's a Free Elective.  If it's a CIS/COS course, then it would go in your AOS or Gen Ed area.  It would certainly be helpful if that was the case.

Considering that you have 72cr, with 12cr of that as UL, you are pretty darn close to a degree at TESU.  You need an additional course that's UL, and then Am Govt, a few GE's, and some Free Electives; you don't lose any of the credits you've already earned, which is nice.

If I were you, and wanted THE fastest way to go, I guess it would depend on what you're good at.  If you're a good tester, and there's a CLEP/DSST testing center nearby, I'd go there.  If that wasn't the case, I'd probably use Study.com and just go crazy for a few months taking courses, testing at the end, and getting as many courses done in as short of a time as possible.

And I would really just focus on what I was best at within the parameters of the method I used.  For instance, even though you say you're interested in a Psych degree, you haven't taken any Psych courses, so I'd just skip those.  I might stick with taking as many History courses as I could.  For example, I might take all 3 PoliSci courses so that there was tons of overlap (you need at least 1 of them anyway), and then take all the rest of the History courses I could (with at least 1 UL that overlapped another like Civil War LL and Civil War UL).  Between those 2 areas, you could take all of the remaining credits you needed, and each course would get progressively easier as you went along because there would be so much that was similar between them all.

RE: Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan - warriortaupou - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 07:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I can do a TESU BALS for you.  It's going to be THE FASTEST degree at TESU.

First, sending a single transcript when you have multiple schools isn't as helpful as showing ALL of the courses you took from each institution.  But, I can figure most of it out, except the transfer from St. Leo (you didn't say which course that was).  If you say what that was, it would be helpful.

Then, there are some courses that I know for sure where they go, and others that I just don't. So I did the best I could.  The one I don't know is Database Applications, so you'd have to see where they put that one.  But assuming that it's LL, and not an actual CIS course, it's a Free Elective.  If it's a CIS/COS course, then it would go in your AOS or Gen Ed area.  It would certainly be helpful if that was the case.

Considering that you have 72cr, with 12cr of that as UL, you are pretty darn close to a degree at TESU.  You need an additional course that's UL, and then Am Govt, a few GE's, and some Free Electives; you don't lose any of the credits you've already earned, which is nice.

If I were you, and wanted THE fastest way to go, I guess it would depend on what you're good at.  If you're a good tester, and there's a CLEP/DSST testing center nearby, I'd go there.  If that wasn't the case, I'd probably use Study.com and just go crazy for a few months taking courses, testing at the end, and getting as many courses done in as short of a time as possible.

And I would really just focus on what I was best at within the parameters of the method I used.  For instance, even though you say you're interested in a Psych degree, you haven't taken any Psych courses, so I'd just skip those.  I might stick with taking as many History courses as I could.  For example, I might take all 3 PoliSci courses so that there was tons of overlap (you need at least 1 of them anyway), and then take all the rest of the History courses I could (with at least 1 UL that overlapped another like Civil War LL and Civil War UL).  Between those 2 areas, you could take all of the remaining credits you needed, and each course would get progressively easier as you went along because there would be so much that was similar between them all.

Thank you Jennifer.

At St Leo I took a Social Science/Sociology/Psy class. I don't recall the exact name because it was so long ago...but on their website it's called SSC 101 - The Human Behavior Perspective.

All of the AARTS credits are from military school (my training/graduation from my Military Occupational Skill course). 

At Northern Virginia Comm College, I took: Spanish I (SPA 103), Communications (SPD 110),&  American History to 1877 (HIS 121).

APUS/American Military University switch their Intel degree programs around a couple of times, so the following courses moved to electives: Counterintelligence (INTL410), Open Source Collection (INTL422), Terrorism and Counterterrorism (INTL450), and Middle Eastern Culture (IRLS260).

(05-17-2018, 07:39 PM)warriortaupou Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 07:00 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I can do a TESU BALS for you.  It's going to be THE FASTEST degree at TESU.

Thank you Jennifer.

At St Leo I took a Social Science/Sociology/Psy class. I don't recall the exact name because it was so long ago...but on their website it's called SSC 101 - The Human Behavior Perspective.

All of the AARTS credits are from military school (my training/graduation from my Military Occupational Skill course). 

At Northern Virginia Comm College, I took: Spanish I (SPA 103), Communications (SPD 110),&  American History to 1877 (HIS 121).

APUS/American Military University switch their Intel degree programs around a couple of times, so the following courses moved to electives: Counterintelligence (INTL410), Open Source Collection (INTL422), Terrorism and Counterterrorism (INTL450), and Middle Eastern Culture (IRLS260).

Thank you Jennifer.

Thank you Jennifer.

When it comes to testing it really depends...I have to really focus and spend alot of time studying, which may take me awhile as I get anxiety. I probably would do much better taking classes. I do really well with writing papers and just general test taking after the topic is covered. I've never done a CLEP, so the thought of it when I'm trying to 'rush through' is a bit scary. I definitely wouldn't do well on certain tests that involve math or statistics through CLEP.

Not sure if this class counts in the BALS; but I did complete the free class: Developing Effective Teams from Sophia Learning, LLC. I had it added to my ACE account.

RE: Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan - dfrecore - 05-17-2018

First, I'm not Jennifer (although I'm not offended by you calling me that). Just not sure where that came from.

Second, if you don't want to test out, that's totally fine. I would opt not to as well, just for the convenience of taking courses at home (I'm lazy that way).

Third, I have the Sophia course as completed on the spreadsheet I made - although there's a new one that's available, and also free (listed towards the end).

The rest of what I said holds true, so I'm sticking with it. Just add the St. Leo course to your AOS LL section, and you're good to go with 75 credits. I'd apply at TESU, and follow the plan. Take as many courses as you can as quickly as you can, and then send those in for an add-on to your eval (you only get 2 free until you enroll).

I would also consider registering for the Capstone course before 6/30, so that you get Study.com affiliate membership pricing. So, take a Study.com course ASAP, apply at TESU when you are close to finishing that course and include Study.com as a course provider that you'll be sending a transcript from, then send the transcript as soon as you finish the course (Study.com sends them directly for free). That way, they have on file that you have a Study.com course, and can give you the affiliate membership. Get all that done right away, so that if you want the discount, you have it on your file long before 6/30.

RE: Please Review My Credits & Help Me Choose a Degree Plan - warriortaupou - 05-17-2018

(05-17-2018, 10:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: First, I'm not Jennifer (although I'm not offended by you calling me that).  Just not sure where that came from.

Huh  not sure why I assumed you were Jennifer (another lady from one of my groups)...other than I think I read her comment on someone else's post in this forum.

Thanks for all the advice!

I finished up on my Ethics with The Institute and passed the exam. I'll be following this spreadsheet you made for me!!! Thank you so much.