Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents (/Thread-Straighterline-Lab-Kit-Contents)

Pages: 1 2

Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - Gnomemom - 05-21-2018

I am FINALLY getting back to school now that the kids are older. I am about to sign up for a series of Straighterline science courses over the summer and was wondering if anyone had updated information on the lab kits for any of the sciences.

I know there are older threads regarding piecing things together and comparing the price to eScience labs but I am also a homeschooling parent and may already have a number of things on hand. I'd like to save money (as we all are trying to do) if possible.

***I need to take the classes via Straighterline in order for them to transfer to Goodwin College.

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - dfrecore - 05-21-2018

If you wanted to look at other options:

Study.com has Intro to Bio + Lab, only counts as a single course (so you get another course while you're at it). There is an additional price of $40 for a subscription to Labster for the online virtual lab. So Bio + lab would cost $140.

Ed4Credit has Gen Bio and Gen Chem labs (1cr each) for $65 each, and you get 4 months to complete each one. Additional price of $98 for lab kits, but they have a $30 off per course price right now, meaning each lab course would be $133.

I think SL's lab course price is $99 for membership, $49 for the lab course, and $79 for the lab kit, for a total of $227 each. Obviously, if you're already taking courses there, then the membership price is covered, so it would bring the price down to $127 + the portion of the membership price.

I like Ed4Credit's ability to take 4 months for their courses. For some people, doing it all in a month is hard.

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - Gnomemom - 05-21-2018

I should have clarified - I need to take these courses via Straighterline for transfer. There is an agreement with Goodwin College in place and I am planning to go back for Nursing.

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - Sapientes - 05-21-2018

You'll still need to purchase the lab kit from eScience. A kit-code is needed to access the lab course. Here's a screenshot for the biology lab but it's the same for chemistry and physics labs too.

[Image: eAe6QUXEL8yzm-WjK3EZ7WcbWvSHrqXXSA75xCs2...mAvLObwbxQ]

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - Gnomemom - 05-21-2018

They must have changed things. I suppose they need to make money where they can. Thank you for clarifying!

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - cookderosa - 05-21-2018

I do know another homeschool parent selling their new in box SL Bio Lab kit- not 100% sure if she still has it, however, happy to connect you with her. PM me if you want me to do that for you.

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - Gnomemom - 05-22-2018

That sounds great! I'll message you now.

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - High_Order1 - 05-24-2018

I did not buy a SL bio kit. I passed.

Having said that, I do not know what they currently require, either.

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - Clepper43 - 10-17-2019

(05-24-2018, 01:17 AM)High_Order1 Wrote: I did not buy a SL bio kit. I passed.

Hey I know this is old but don't you need to lab kit or are there things you can substitute?

RE: Straighterline Lab Kit Contents - cookderosa - 10-17-2019

(10-17-2019, 01:08 PM)Clepper43 Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 01:17 AM)High_Order1 Wrote: I did not buy a SL bio kit. I passed.

Hey I know this is old but don't you need to lab kit or are there things you can substitute?

I don't see how that's possible. The first assignment is to submit a picture of the code inside your box.