Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 (/Thread-TESU-downgraded-S-L-Chem101-to-CHE-101-from-CHE-111)

Pages: 1 2 3

TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - frank.f.franky - 05-30-2018

In March 2018, the Dean of the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences at Thomas Edison State University reviewed CHEM101 from Straighterline and updated its TESU equivalency from CHE-111 to CHE-101. Unfortunately this information is not accurately reflected on the Straighterline website.

So if you want a BS from TESU, some degree plans you'll end up 3 credit hours short using S/L.

Degree Requirements Credits
The following courses are required for the BS degree with an area of study in Information Technology and can be fulfilled in either the General Education or Electives sections of the degree chart. 23
Computer Concepts (CIS-107) or above (3)
Statistics (3)
College Algebra (3)
Higher Level Math above College Algebra (3)
General Chemistry I with Lab or General Physics I with Lab (4)
General Chemistry II with Lab or General Physics II with Lab (4)

D: Natural World 8 SH (In progress)
For TESU course options, go to Chemistry and Physics Courses

General Chemistry with Lab and/or General Physics with Lab (DEGREE REQUIRMENT)

CHE-121 4 SH, CHE-122 4 SH, PHY-115 4 SH, PHY-116 4 SH
SH Earned: 5
Required: 8
Remaining: 3

3 credits needed

This information of S/L website is wrong
https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/thomas-edison-state-university/course-equivalency/

General Chemistry I - CHE-111 = General Chemistry I - CHEM101

General Chemistry I - CHE-121 = General Chemistry I - CHEM101 – AND – General Chemistry I Lab - CHEM101L

RE: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - dfrecore - 05-30-2018

TESU can be confusing.

So, their OWN courses are CHE-121 and CHE-122, but that doesn't mean that you can't bring in a chemistry course that comes in as CHE-101 and it won't fulfill the requirements (necessarily).

For instance, they sometimes list "MAN-435 Project Management" as a requirement for a degree, but if you were to take Project Management at a CC and it came in as a LL course, they would still have it fulfill the requirement. It doesn't have to come in with the exact same course equivalency to work. It's the course name that counts more than the equivalency in this case.

I would just talk to someone (or maybe more than 1 someone's in their case) and ask if CHE-101 General Chemistry will fulfill the "General Chemistry" requirement. Don't make it more complicated than that.

RE: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - frank.f.franky - 05-30-2018

I agree TESU is confusing.

For example, TESE has not downgraded S/L Physics,

So if you take S/L Physics 250 it will come as PHY-113 and S/L Physics Lab 250L will come as PHY-128.

PHY-113 & PHY-128 are equivalent to PHY-115, but in order to get PHY-115 to show up your transcript as 4 credit hours you need have both S/L Physics 250 & S/L 250L completed on the same date on your ACE transcript.

The problem with Chemistry you need CHE-115 (which equivalent to CHE-111 & CHE-128) and the S/L classes now come as CHE-101 (Survey of Chemistry) & CHE-128.

(05-30-2018, 02:01 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote: I agree TESU is confusing.  

So if you take S/L Physics 250 it will come as PHY-113 and S/L Physics Lab 250L will come as PHY-128.

PHY-113 & PHY-128 are equivalent to PHY-115, but in order to get PHY-115 to show up your transcript as 4 credit hours you need have both S/L Physics 250 & S/L 250L completed on the same date on your ACE transcript.

The problem with Chemistry you need CHE-115 (which equivalent to CHE-111 & CHE-128) and the S/L classes now come as CHE-101 (Survey of Chemistry) & CHE-128.

I'm not certain any of this is true.

I've never heard that you have to have both Physics courses show up on the same date on your ACE transcript - in the 7+ years I've been on this forum.

I've also never heard that there's a problem with SL's Chemistry coming in with a problem.  Even with the downgrade, as long as you take both the regular course and the lab, you should be fine.  People have been taking the Chemistry CLEP exam, which comes in as CHE-111/112, and then taking a lab somewhere else for years without any problems.  Same with Saylor's Chemistry (CHE-104) and then a separate lab.

I think someone at TESU is woefully ignorant here, and giving bad advice.  I would talk to someone else.

Has everything come into your Eval this way or are you asking academic advising?

RE: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - cookderosa - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 02:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 02:01 PM)frank.f.franky Wrote: I agree TESU is confusing.  

I'm not certain any of this is true.

I've never heard that you have to have both Physics courses show up on the same date on your ACE transcript - in the 7+ years I've been on this forum.

I've also never heard that there's a problem with SL's Chemistry coming in with a problem.  Even with the downgrade, as long as you take both the regular course and the lab, you should be fine.  People have been taking the Chemistry CLEP exam, which comes in as CHE-111/112, and then taking a lab somewhere else for years without any problems.  Same with Saylor's Chemistry (CHE-104) and then a separate lab.

I think someone at TESU is woefully ignorant here, and giving bad advice.  I would talk to someone else.

Has everything come into your Eval this way or are you asking academic advising?

I agree with Dfrecore. I would fall down shocked if TESU didn't take a 3+1 science course and instead wanted a 4 as a single entry. That's not even a thing among the most rigorous of medical schools. They mean the EXACT the same thing.

I believe that the reason a college may opt for OFFERING one over the other probably has to do with teaching contracts and contact hours for faculty bargaining units. (labs are paid 3:1 whereas lectures are paid 1:1 but that is irrelevant to this) None of that has anything to do with RECEIVING credit as a student.

Chem downgrade, on the other hand, is a bummer. 101 is for sure not going to come in and count as General Chem 1.

RE: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - frank.f.franky - 05-30-2018

The below is TESU's response to my request (below is my original email)

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, there is nothing to "re-evaluate" regarding these courses as you have requested. The Straighterline courses PHY250 & PHY250L transfer in as two separate courses with two distinct dates of completion, therefore are awarded TESU courses PHY-111 and PHY-128 respectively. These two courses satisfy the TESU Physics I with Lab degree requirement, as PHY-111 is the main course and PHY-128 the laboratory component. A combined course, TESU PHY-115 Physics I with Lab, will also satisfy the Physics I with Lab degree requirement. PHY-115 and PHY-111/128 are considered duplicate, however PHY-115 is only awarded when the course and lab are completed via one singular course. As your ACE Straighterline transcript identifies that two separate courses were completed, the separate credit award is accurate.

As for the Straigherline Chemistry coursework you completed, the same principle applies as indicated above, however with one other caveat. In March 2018, the Dean of the Heavin School of Arts and Sciences at Thomas Edison State University reviewed CHEM101 from Straighterline and updated its TESU equivalency from CHE-111 to CHE-101. Unfortunately this information is not accurately reflected on the Straighterline website.

As neither Straighterline course submission requires updating, your student record remains as is. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,
Michael

Michael Sheridan
Senior Academic Evaluator
Office of the Registrar
Thomas Edison State University

------------------- Original Message -------------------
Received: 2018-05-29T19:09:06Z
To: registrar@tesu.edu; registrar@tesu.edu;
Subject: Re-evaluation of ACE transcript,

from the StraighterLine website
Course Name at Thomas Edison State University Course Name at StraighterLine Credits Transferred

Physics I with Lab - PHY-115 General Physics I - PHY250
– AND –
General Physics I Lab - PHY250L 4
General Chemistry I - CHE-121 General Chemistry I - CHEM101
– AND –
General Chemistry I Lab - CHEM101L 4

Can you please re-evaluate the above 2 pair (4) classes from StraighterLine:

General Physics I (PHY250) & General Physics I Lab (PHY250L) and
General Chemistry I (CHEM101) & General Chemistry I Lab (Chem101L)

These StraighterLine classes were taken concurrently with intentions of fulfilling PHY 115 & CHE 121.

Thank you,

I still don't understand what's going on. Is your eval completed, and the Chem course + lab NOT fulfilling your requirement? Or are you trying to get preapproved?

RE: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - cookderosa - 05-30-2018

Ok, so I get what they're saying - they're saying you have received the credit for the course with lab. I'm not sure why the course numbers aren't matching the ones on the SL website, but let's overlook that for a second.

PER SL Website:
SL Physics250 3 cr + 250L 1 cr = PHY115 4 cr

Where I believe the confusion lies, is that they are not calling the SL course combo PHY115.
Instead, they are calling it PHY111 3 cr + PHY128 1 cr = PHY111 & PHY128 4 cr.

If you look at TESU's own online course offerings, it makes more sense:

Physics I (PHY-111)
Physics II (PHY-112)
Physics I with Lab (PHY-115)
Physics II with Lab (PHY-116)
Physics I Lab (PHY-128)
Physics Lab II (PHY-129)

So, it's the same either way.
It's either PHY111 + PHY128 = physics 1 with lab
or
PHY115 = physics 1 with lab

He's telling you that if you ALSO took PHY115 that it would be duplicate credit (which is correct).

In my opinion, he had the choice to choose either / or, but that he elected for you to have them as separate entries because the completion dates were different. But, it's still 4 credits either way.

EDIT: Fun note to self - align the lab completion day and classroom completion day together even if that means waiting. Out of curiosity, how far apart were your completion days?

RE: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - frank.f.franky - 05-31-2018

I guess I haveTESU really scratching their heads; S/L Chem lab show up twice on my ACE transcript.

General Chemistry I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0016 Course 05/04/2018
General Chemistry I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0016 Course 05/08/2018
General Chemistry I* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0015 Course 05/08/2018

I think I was getting impatient with S/L not approving my class so I submitted it twice and S/L approved twice.

For Physics the Lab was three months later. 

General Physics I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0085 Course 04/16/2018
General Physics I* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0023 Course 01/11/2018

It's all kinda of a mute point, I only applied to TESU as a second option and was curious If my Shmoop credits would carry, they didn't.  

Anyway, if you plan on TESU apply soon they seem to like to re-evaluate ACE credit courses.

RE: TESU downgraded S/L Chem101 to CHE-101 from CHE-111 - allvia - 05-31-2018

(05-31-2018, 02:51 AM)frank.f.franky Wrote: I guess I haveTESU really scratching their heads; S/L Chem lab show up twice on my ACE transcript.

General Chemistry I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0016 Course 05/04/2018
General Chemistry I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0016 Course 05/08/2018
General Chemistry I* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0015 Course 05/08/2018

I think I was getting impatient with S/L not approving my class so I submitted it twice and S/L approved twice.

For Physics the Lab was three months later. 

General Physics I Lab* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0085 Course 04/16/2018
General Physics I* 
StraighterLine
OOSL-0023 Course 01/11/2018

It's all kinda of a mute point, I only applied to TESU as a second option and was curious If my Shmoop credits would carry, they didn't.  

Anyway, if you plan on TESU apply soon they seem to like to re-evaluate ACE credit courses.

Where are you going to be taking your General Chemistry II with Lab or General Physics II with Lab (4) to meet the requirement?  I've seen quite a few people, including myself, here put off from a few of these BS degree options due to needing the level II course and none of the current alternative providers offering 'part II'.