Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Best current options for a Business degree? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Best current options for a Business degree? (/Thread-Best-current-options-for-a-Business-degree)

Pages: 1 2

Best current options for a Business degree? - FlyBoyEJ - 06-13-2018

Hello!

I've been working through the process of planning an English degree from TESU, which I do have advised, but will need re-advisement after their removal of Shmoop courses. Since starting that, however, I've come to realize my future plans are to be heavily involved with business growth and management, so I'm considering switching to working on a business degree instead of English. I did some searching in the forum about these types of degrees, and found a few things, but not exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for.

For those who have pursued/are pursuing business degrees, what would you recommend to someone who is wanting to maximize the information learned for a long-term business career? I have found the WGU business degree programs, which look good at first glance, and then there are business degree options that could be planned with the Big Three. Where should I be looking, and what have you found effective in your educational careers?

Thanks a lot. I appreciate all your efforts to help people in here. Smile

Evan

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - davewill - 06-13-2018

What is your final educational goal? A lot of people here have done the TESU BSBA, both for price and speed, then an MBA with WGU or one of the other competency based programs. If you don't have any business experience, then I wouldn't do an MBA right away, I'd get some work experience first.

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - dfrecore - 06-13-2018

I would say a business degree from TESU, COSC or WGU is a good way to go.

For all 3 there is some overlap, and you can bring in a LOT of courses for not very much money. I would start with looking at the 3 schools, narrowing it down to 1 or 2, and then figuring out which courses you want to bring in and starting on those. For instance, with WGU, you can bring in 75% of the degree, and with TESU and COSC 90-95%. Look at what courses you could do that you could bring in to all of them, do those courses, and then decide from there where you want to go.

One thing I would say to help make the decision: if you are going through the courses very quickly, you're probably a good candidate for WGU. If you're going through fairly slowly, then one of the Big 3 is probably the better way to go.

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - FlyBoyEJ - 06-13-2018

(06-13-2018, 12:21 PM)davewill Wrote: What is your final educational goal? A lot of people here have done the TESU BSBA, both for price and speed, then an MBA with WGU or one of the other competency based programs. If you don't have any business experience, then I wouldn't do an MBA right away, I'd get some work experience first.

Well, I'm not sure I would want an MBA as a final goal, but that's possible. I would honestly be more interested in a program like Seth Godin's altMBA over a traditional MBA, although if a standard MBA ended up being helpful further on down the road, I would be fine with pursuing that.

(06-13-2018, 01:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say a business degree from TESU, COSC or WGU is a good way to go.

For all 3 there is some overlap, and you can bring in a LOT of courses for not very much money. I would start with looking at the 3 schools, narrowing it down to 1 or 2, and then figuring out which courses you want to bring in and starting on those. For instance, with WGU, you can bring in 75% of the degree, and with TESU and COSC 90-95%. Look at what courses you could do that you could bring in to all of them, do those courses, and then decide from there where you want to go.

One thing I would say to help make the decision: if you are going through the courses very quickly, you're probably a good candidate for WGU. If you're going through fairly slowly, then one of the Big 3 is probably the better way to go.

Thank you! I will take my time and evaluate over the next few months which type of degree program would be of the most use. The benefit I can see from WGU is the business training accreditation they have. The benefit of TESU, though, is that I already know I have transfer credits that would cover the first half of my general degree requirements. They've already analyzed my transcripts and applied them to my current BA in English degree plan. I don't need to make a decision anytime soon, so I'll take my time and do my research. Thanks!

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - jsd - 06-13-2018

(06-13-2018, 02:07 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote: The benefit I can see from WGU is the business training accreditation they have. 

Both WGU and TESU have the same ACBSP business programmatic accreditation and both are regionally accredited at the institutional level.

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - dfrecore - 06-13-2018

(06-13-2018, 02:07 PM)FlyBoyEJ Wrote:
(06-13-2018, 12:21 PM)davewill Wrote: What is your final educational goal? A lot of people here have done the TESU BSBA, both for price and speed, then an MBA with WGU or one of the other competency based programs. If you don't have any business experience, then I wouldn't do an MBA right away, I'd get some work experience first.

Well, I'm not sure I would want an MBA as a final goal, but that's possible. I would honestly be more interested in a program like Seth Godin's altMBA over a traditional MBA, although if a standard MBA ended up being helpful further on down the road, I would be fine with pursuing that.

(06-13-2018, 01:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would say a business degree from TESU, COSC or WGU is a good way to go.  

For all 3 there is some overlap, and you can bring in a LOT of courses for not very much money.  I would start with looking at the 3 schools, narrowing it down to 1 or 2, and then figuring out which courses you want to bring in and starting on those.  For instance, with WGU, you can bring in 75% of the degree, and with TESU and COSC 90-95%.  Look at what courses you could do that you could bring in to all of them, do those courses, and then decide from there where you want to go.

One thing I would say to help make the decision: if you are going through the courses very quickly, you're probably a good candidate for WGU.  If you're going through fairly slowly, then one of the Big 3 is probably the better way to go.

Thank you! I will take my time and evaluate over the next few months which type of degree program would be of the most use. The benefit I can see from WGU is the business training accreditation they have. The benefit of TESU, though, is that I already know I have transfer credits that would cover the first half of my general degree requirements. They've already analyzed my transcripts and applied them to my current BA in English degree plan. I don't need to make a decision anytime soon, so I'll take my time and do my research. Thanks!

If you post your eval on here, we can help, with both a TESU BSBA and a WGU BSBM.

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - FlyBoyEJ - 06-14-2018

(06-13-2018, 03:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you post your eval on here, we can help, with both a TESU BSBA and a WGU BSBM.

Thank you! Here is my approved degree plan for a BA in English, and my official Academic Evaluation. This does not reflect the recent Shmoop changes.

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - dfrecore - 06-14-2018

For the TESU BSBA, you lose a lot of credits, which is a bummer; all of those ART courses can't fit anywhere, because there's only 6cr of Free Electives.  You end up with 43cr completed, and a lot to finish in Business.

For the WGU BSM, you still lose credits, but you get your entire Gen Ed area out of the way with the AAS waiver (so 42cr).  You can take a bunch of courses towards the major, and make it so that you only need 7 courses to complete, which you could easily do in 1 term (I think).

Most of the courses that you'd have to do through WGU can also work for the TESU degree, so you don't have to make any decisions until you get them all complete, and then you can decide if WGU is the place you want to go (for someone who hasn't done a ton of self-studying, it's a hard committment to make, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it until you get to that point).

Anywhere here are 2 plans.

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - quigongene - 06-14-2018

dfrecore:

Are you sure the AAS works for the gen eds at WGU? (I guess I'll find out for myself once mine gets evaluated). I'm just curious if you know of someone it worked for.

RE: Best current options for a Business degree? - dfrecore - 06-15-2018

(06-14-2018, 08:24 PM)quigongene Wrote: dfrecore:

Are you sure the AAS works for the gen eds at WGU?  (I guess I'll find out for myself once mine gets evaluated).  I'm just curious if you know of someone it worked for.

I think someone on here got them waived with an AA if I remember correctly.