Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
B.O.G Complications, Advice? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: B.O.G Complications, Advice? (/Thread-B-O-G-Complications-Advice)

Pages: 1 2 3

B.O.G Complications, Advice? - Life_One - 06-13-2018

Degreeforum I need your help yet again. I am having Pierpont BOG A.A.S complications.

I have completed my CompTIA certs and my SL classes. I have transferred them along with my other brick and mortar college transcripts. I was under the impression that I needed two science and or math classes. Which I recently completed.

I sent Mrs.Parks an e-mail yesterday asking if there was anything I missed that I need to complete to graduate in August. I assumed she would say everything was fine.

Well, that's not the case. according to her, I have a 1.88 GPA with the academic forgiveness and I need a 2.0 for the degree. I also need another communication course because my English II has a D grade.

What this boils down to, is that I need to pay $1338 for one of their English classes and I have to maintain an A overall to bump my GPA from 1.88 to 2.0, I have about 10 days to decide if I want to do this. Which I don't.

My SL classes don’t count for my GPA because they are not graded according to ACE. My transfers from CompTIA are also not graded.

I’m beyond angry with this situation. I was never told I needed this extra class, let alone I would have to take it the traditional way.

Is there any way I can take an English or Comm class and get a grade on it, then transfer it in?  I'm going to assume the answer is a no.
$1338 seems like a huge waste of money for one class and it's not even an upper-level course.

Any suggestions welcome.

RE: B.O.G Complications, Advice? - jsd - 06-13-2018

(06-13-2018, 05:02 PM)Life_One Wrote: Is there any way I can take an English or Comm class and get a grade on it, then transfer it in?  I'm going to assume the answer is a no.

This seems more of a question for Ms. Parks, and not us.

But I would assume you COULD take it elsewhere at a cheaper RA school and have it transferred in. It sounds like they're having your poor grades from elsewhere count against you, so it would only make sense to have good grades from elsewhere count for you.

But doing this within 10 days is basically out of the question, since you'd need to do it from a RA school and not an ACE/NCCRS provider.

RE: B.O.G Complications, Advice? - Life_One - 06-13-2018

Those are valid points. Maybe I'll e-mail her later.

It's like I'm stuck in a giant feedback loop. The only RA school, in my county, isn't much cheaper. I also cannot graduate from that school because of my GPA. Pro tip, Never load up on credits and have a family emergency. The college will not give a shit and give you all F's for the semester instead of W's. Which is where I have been stuck for the last 4 years.

The B.O.G is/was my chance at starting over at a low cost and giving me a chance to make some good grades and get myself back on track. Now I'm back to more of the same garbage.

Hey, at least you have a valid excuse for the Fs/Ds on your transcript.

My excuse is that I was a bored teenager and stopped showing up.

RE: B.O.G Complications, Advice? - davewill - 06-13-2018

I'm sure a local community college would be cheaper. You might even find an accelerated, online course, but that would be 5 to 8 weeks not 10 days. BTW, don't get too angry, I don't think any school would accept a D in one of the required English courses. TESU certainly doesn't.

Edit: I just saw your local school isn't an option. Maybe New Mexico Junior College, then. Unfortunately, their Summer session is already well under way. You'd have to wait for Fall.

Getting the English course is one thing, you also have make sure that you raise that GPA high enough. How many credits are there in that 1.88 GPA? Will an "A" in a single 3 credit course raise it enough? Will Pierpont drop out the "D" if you get a "A"?

RE: B.O.G Complications, Advice? - alram - 06-13-2018

Excelsior's UExcel English Composition exam may be an option. UExcels receive a letter grade and ENG Comp cost $470

Good call! Can those be registered for, completed, and transcript sent out within 10 days?

RE: B.O.G Complications, Advice? - alram - 06-13-2018

Bad call. Scores may take 45 days to be returned.

bummer.   

RE: B.O.G Complications, Advice? - Life_One - 06-13-2018

Thank you guys for the options. 10 days would be ideal, but as long as I can get it done before August that should work. I know that's a big difference but any option is better than the $1338 even if I have to wait until after August.