Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Which Branch Would You Join? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: Which Branch Would You Join? (/Thread-Which-Branch-Would-You-Join)

Pages: 1 2 3

Which Branch Would You Join? - sanantone - 06-17-2018

I'm just asking this out of curiosity. 

My ranking would be 

1. USPHS
2. Air Force
3. NOAA Corps
4. Coast Guard
5. Army
6. Navy
7. Marines

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - dfrecore - 06-17-2018

I wouldn't join any, but my son is going to join the marines. He's only 14, but determined, and decided years ago and hasn't wavered since. The army would be 2nd, navy 3rd.

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - MNomadic - 06-18-2018

I'm assuming that USPHS and NOAA are only commissioned(officers/people with degrees) so that definitely plays a role.

So that is definitely a factor. As far as enlisting: when I was younger I waivered between army and Marines(had infantry/combat type jobs in mind because of movies/videogames). However, I decided it would be better to look into something that would train me with good skills that could get me a good job post military. So I looked into Navy and Air Force. The Navy had been trying to recruit me for years since I took the high school asvab. When I talked to an AF recruiter he basically told me, "you list your top 10 jobs and maybe the AF will assign you one of those." The Navy recruiter knew my scores and said I could qualify for any job and enlist with said job on my contract (no luck of the draw). So I went with Navy.

Honestly, looking back, if I'd have known better I would have communicated with an AF recruiter and made sure he knew my qualifications to see if I could negotiate a highly technical job.

Joining with a degree would have been a completely different story....

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - Life Long Learning - 06-18-2018

For the record, these are the 7 Uniformed Services, not branches.  Great list!

One study one never reads is what % who join retire with that service.  The Marines would be dead last (hardest).  AF would be #1 of the DOD types.  Not sure where CG, NOAA, and USPH fall in order but higher.

Kids never think of retirement as an opportunity.  # flaw in our education system.  Long-term planning is not there.

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - xjarhead1999 - 06-18-2018

Well I joined the Marines right out of high school back in the mid 90s so I had to choose them. I done 3 years in Army reserve afterwards.
I joined a little too late for the good retirement. I can't remember the exact % but it had dropped enough that if I spent 20 years and retired I would only get about half of what someone who joined 6 months before me would have. Eventually they went back to the old retirement after 9/11.
I was also part of the older G.I. bill. I used some of it back in 06 for a couple of classes but it was a pain trying to figure out. It has expired now so I feel like I wasted the money I had to put into it during my enlistment.

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - burbuja0512 - 06-18-2018

Aside from the money for school, I've never really understood why people enlist. I never really knew anyone that did, so perhaps I just missed out on hearing about the other benefits. It seemed like less freedom on the job front with some obvious major risk depending on what you get assigned to. So, I went with international business. Not saving any lives, but I've traveled the world.

I would be interested in understanding why it was appealing to people that enlisted. I always thank those that have enlisted (and buy them a drink in the airport,) but never understand it personally, so would be interesting to know more.

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - quigongene - 06-18-2018

(06-18-2018, 11:51 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: I would be interested in understanding why it was appealing to people that enlisted.

I was 18, and had no idea what I wanted to do (but knew I didn't want to be a short order cook for the rest of my life). I also knew I wanted to travel, but had no idea where. The Navy pretty much made both decisions for me. I got OJT in electronics and communications, have been all over the world, and got an honorable discharge which has given me several advantages being a veteran. No complaints.

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - sanantone - 06-18-2018

(06-18-2018, 08:30 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: For the record, these are the 7 Uniformed Services, not branches.  Great list!

One study one never reads is what % who join retire with that service.  The Marines would be dead last (hardest).  AF would be #1 of the DOD types.  Not sure where CG, NOAA, and USPH fall in order but higher.

Kids never think of retirement as an opportunity.  # flaw in our education system.  Long-term planning is not there.

They are branches of the uniformed services; they just aren't branches of the armed forces.

(06-18-2018, 11:51 AM)burbuja0512 Wrote: Aside from the money for school, I've never really understood why people enlist.    I never really knew anyone that did, so perhaps I just missed out on hearing about the other benefits.   It seemed like less freedom on the job front with some obvious major risk depending on what you get assigned to.     So, I went with international business.  Not saving any lives, but I've traveled the world.

I would be interested in understanding why it was appealing to people that enlisted.   I always thank those that have enlisted (and buy them a drink in the airport,) but never understand it personally, so would be interesting to know more.

Some just want to serve; some like the benefits. The uniformed services have benefits that are nearly impossible to find anywhere else: 20-year retirement, free training for civilian occupations, and the GI Bill and tuition assistance that are unmatched by most tuition reimbursement programs.

Most won't go to war. I think only a couple of Coast Guard members died in the last couple of wars. If the military ever needs to send large numbers of the Coast Guard to war, then they've likely gotten to the point of needing to draft.

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - MNomadic - 06-18-2018

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/president-trump-directs-pentagon-defense-department-to-immediately-being-the-process-of-establishing-space-force-as-sixth-military-branch.html

I immediately change my vote to Space Force

RE: Which Branch Would You Join? - sanantone - 06-18-2018

(06-18-2018, 01:15 PM)MNomadic Wrote: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/18/president-trump-directs-pentagon-defense-department-to-immediately-being-the-process-of-establishing-space-force-as-sixth-military-branch.html

I immediately change my vote to Space Force

The dotard opposed the creation of a space force last year. Congress wanted it, but the Pentagon didn't. 

I do think that cybersecurity and space either need their own branch or to be consolidated under the Air Force. Currently, all the branches are trying to do cybersecurity in an inefficient manner.