Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Miscellaneous (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Miscellaneous)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated (/Thread-College-for-america-SNHU-3k-a-year-if-affiliated)

College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - frank.f.franky - 06-20-2018

Has anyone taken any class at CFA at SNHU?  

Cheap tuition if you are affiliated, I assume all get the same deal as the government, $3k a year.
https://www.snhu.edu/about-us/news-and-events/2017/03/competency-based-degree-program

They seem weirdly named classes to maybe limit transferring the credit
https://www.snhu.edu/admission/academic-catalogs/cfa-catalog#/courses

RE: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - dfrecore - 06-20-2018

Those are some wacky names for the courses. Seems completely ridiculous.

RE: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - sanantone - 06-20-2018

Not only are the names wacky, but the courses sound like unusable junk. How is Fostering Community Health a science? Their literature course is Exploring Writing? These sound like non-credit, developmental courses.

RE: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - Tedium - 06-29-2018

(06-20-2018, 09:19 PM)sanantone Wrote: Not only are the names wacky, but the courses sound like unusable junk. How is Fostering Community Health a science? Their literature course is Exploring Writing? These sound like non-credit, developmental courses.

Honestly, having been a student at SNHU, I'll bet you a dollar they did that purposefully so those workers wouldn't be able to transfer those credits elsewhere. So they'll have to finish their Associate's there and most likely their Bachelor's, too. I've never seen a more money hungry non-profit that cares as little for their students as SNHU.

RE: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - sanantone - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 09:56 AM)Tedium Wrote:
(06-20-2018, 09:19 PM)sanantone Wrote: Not only are the names wacky, but the courses sound like unusable junk. How is Fostering Community Health a science? Their literature course is Exploring Writing? These sound like non-credit, developmental courses.

Honestly, having been a student at SNHU, I'll bet you a dollar they did that purposefully so those workers wouldn't be able to transfer those credits elsewhere. So they'll have to finish their Associate's there and most likely their Bachelor's, too. I've never seen a more money hungry non-profit that cares as little for their students as SNHU.

Well, they did say that they changed their model to mimic University of Phoenix's.

I guess students can only pray that they'll never need a course-by-course evaluation to qualify for a job. The federal government and its contractors can be picky in this way.

RE: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - sanantone - 07-06-2018

Wow. I just remembered what happened with my Western International University credits. WIU was owned by the same company as UoP.

TESU read the course descriptions for my writing courses, so I received credit for English Comp I and II. However, Excelsior and two community colleges wouldn't give me Comp credits because the writing courses had funky names.

RE: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - cookderosa - 07-07-2018

(06-20-2018, 06:44 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Those are some wacky names for the courses. Seems completely ridiculous.

LOL - your comment made me click. Wink They are!! That's a transfer nightmare waiting to happen.

RE: College for america, SNHU, $3k a year if affiliated - badooble - 07-29-2018

I earned my first 39 credits at CfA last year, before switching my goal to a much more flexible TESU BALS. When you order transcripts, you can request a 'competencies mastered' transcript, OR a plain old SNHU credit hour transcript, with boring course names like 'Intro to Philosophy', 'Microeconomics', 'Intro to Mass Communication', 'Environmrntal Science', etc. The SNHU equivelancies for CfA competencies are all listed in the CfA catalog.

TESU took all of them in transfer, no problem. My biggest worry was that the SNHU transcript shows a grade of 'MA' (mastered) for every class. But TESU transcribed them all as 'A'.

If you can get in, and don't mind the style of teaching and the inability to customize the program in any way, its a great way to get a cheapish RA degree. I spent just $1500 on 39 credits, and they offer a monthly payment plan.

It was possible to get in through a 'friends and family' promotion with a little work. That's how I did it. Made friends with some folks going there on LinkedIn and bugged admissions until they let me in.

A screenshot of what I completed there is attached.

(Edit: I agree with Sanantone. The competencies are silly and unusable. Not sure I would have done it if they didn't also offer a 'normal' SNHU transcript)