Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Excelsior HR Degree Progress - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Excelsior HR Degree Progress (/Thread-Excelsior-HR-Degree-Progress)

Excelsior HR Degree Progress - glgamerica - 07-30-2018

My son has been working on a plan to get a degree in Human Resources from Excelsior while he is still in high school. He's currently getting ready to start his junior year in high school and has already completed 17 CLEP exams and one AP class for a total of 66 hours.

He had been using the SpeedyPrep system but used the Instantcert system to prepare for the CLEP Financial Accounting exam which he passed today. After a brief adjustment period, I think he's comfortable now with the system at Instantcert.

Anyway, after he passes one of these exams, I always get super excited about it and want to share his progress.

Here's the degree map that I laid out for him that we've been working on. If you have any tips about making sure I've created the map right that would be cool.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CJEW10sjVQQ-VbTFfkhv_LIiicULMyJxIXm8YODpQmA/edit?usp=sharing

All done with CLEPs now. On to the DSST's!

RE: Excelsior HR Degree Progress - Jimmy999 - 07-30-2018

Awesome work....Reward that kids. I give $100 per passed clep for my kids.

RE: Excelsior HR Degree Progress - glgamerica - 07-30-2018

(07-30-2018, 03:34 PM)Jimmy999 Wrote: Awesome work....Reward that kids. I give $100 per passed clep for my kids.

Good idea. I’ve been giving him a $100 for every one he has passed. It’s well worth it for sure!

RE: Excelsior HR Degree Progress - dfrecore - 07-30-2018

I don't know EC's requirements well enough to know whether your plan is good, but I did have a couple of questions/comments:
1) I'm guessing that the AP English Comp course overlaps the CLEP, so you may want to double-check before plunking down the money to pay for the AP exam (I'd certainly still do the course, or find another higher-level one)
2) Why are you taking EC courses rather than finding less expensive courses elsewhere? Study.com and Davar have UL business courses for less per course than a UExcel exam, and definitely a LOT less than an EC course.

Good luck to your son!

RE: Excelsior HR Degree Progress - glgamerica - 07-31-2018

(07-30-2018, 11:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't know EC's requirements well enough to know whether your plan is good, but I did have a couple of questions/comments:
1) I'm guessing that the AP English Comp course overlaps the CLEP, so you may want to double-check before plunking down the money to pay for the AP exam (I'd certainly still do the course, or find another higher-level one)
2) Why are you taking EC courses rather than finding less expensive courses elsewhere?  Study.com and Davar have UL business courses for less per course than a UExcel exam, and definitely a LOT less than an EC course.

Good luck to your son!

I reviewed the Excelsior business catalog and there are several ways to satisfy the written English requirement at Excelsior.

I first considered the UExcel exam but that specific exam is pretty expensive. I think it was $500+. He and I also would have to take the time to prepare for it on our own. While I'm sure he'd pass, if for some reason he didn't, that would be a hefty price tag to also have to retake it.

The second way I looked at is by AP English exam.

Since my son has to take English all four years of high school anyway, I thought it made more sense to take the AP English class. That way, he'd be preparing for the exam all year. The AP Art History class he took last year only cost $95. I'm guessing that AP English will be the same. But you got me wondering if the AP English exam will cost more so I will check on that. That's pretty close to the CLEP exams which I pay about $107 plus Instantcert each month for.

I also figured that if for some reason he doesn't complete the plan I laid out, the AP English exam will be pretty universal for any other college.

It does state in the business catalog that CLEP won't satisfy the written english requirement. My son has passed the CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature but if that for some reason overlaps and is considered part duplicate credit, he'll have some other extra AP credit as well that will help if he couldn't apply it for some reason.

I did confirm with Excelsior the AP English will take care of it.

The other coursework on the degree map I made shows the classes at Excelsior. Right now those classes are just placeholders and when we get closer to that point, I'm going to review them to see what I can do.

I think, we could probably do some of those in state here, or look at some other options and save some money. 

Any input there would be appreciated on good substitutes since I don't really know what to do about those yet. Once we enrolled, I was going to talk to the advisor about it.

Thanks for reviewing the degree map and the well wishes. Really appreciate it!

RE: Excelsior HR Degree Progress - Kima - 07-31-2018

I saw that on your plan you have some upper level Excelsior business courses.   Just wanted to let you know you might want to look at Davar Academy.  They have some upper level business courses that are accepted as upper level at Excelsior (I took two of them).  They would be a lot more cost effective than Excelsior courses.  

Davar also has an information literacy course that is accepted at Excelsior.  

Here's the link if you want to check it out.  

https://www.davaracademy.com/business.html

Good luck to your son.

RE: Excelsior HR Degree Progress - dfrecore - 07-31-2018

(07-31-2018, 11:24 AM)glgamerica Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 11:42 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't know EC's requirements well enough to know whether your plan is good, but I did have a couple of questions/comments:
2) Why are you taking EC courses rather than finding less expensive courses elsewhere?  Study.com and Davar have UL business courses for less per course than a UExcel exam, and definitely a LOT less than an EC course.

Good luck to your son!

I reviewed the Excelsior business catalog and there are several ways to satisfy the written English requirement at Excelsior.

I first considered the UExcel exam but that specific exam is pretty expensive. I think it was $500+. He and I also would have to take the time to prepare for it on our own. While I'm sure he'd pass, if for some reason he didn't, that would be a hefty price tag to also have to retake it.

The second way I looked at is by AP English exam.

Since my son has to take English all four years of high school anyway, I thought it made more sense to take the AP English class. That way, he'd be preparing for the exam all year. The AP Art History class he took last year only cost $95. I'm guessing that AP English will be the same. But you got me wondering if the AP English exam will cost more so I will check on that. That's pretty close to the CLEP exams which I pay about $107 plus Instantcert each month for.

I also figured that if for some reason he doesn't complete the plan I laid out, the AP English exam will be pretty universal for any other college.

It does state in the business catalog that CLEP won't satisfy the written english requirement. My son has passed the CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature but if that for some reason overlaps and is considered part duplicate credit, he'll have some other extra AP credit as well that will help if he couldn't apply it for some reason.

I did confirm with Excelsior the AP English will take care of it.

The other coursework on the degree map I made shows the classes at Excelsior. Right now those classes are just placeholders and when we get closer to that point, I'm going to review them to see what I can do.

I think, we could probably do some of those in state here, or look at some other options and save some money. 

Any input there would be appreciated on good substitutes since I don't really know what to do about those yet. Once we enrolled, I was going to talk to the advisor about it.

Thanks for reviewing the degree map and the well wishes. Really appreciate it!

I think all the AP exams cost the same.

Just an FYI, both CLEP and AP exams are covered by the ModernStates.org website, for AP you can have him do the courses (it's a prep course, not a full course), and then either get a voucher to take the exam, or they will reimburse you with a receipt. Well worth the money (I'm going to have my kid do that when he takes them, and pay him the cost instead, as long as he passes - he's saving me money, MS is paying for the exam, so it's good incentive for him to do his best!!).

EC also will accept the SL courses for English, if you wanted to save money and he didn't pass the AP exams, but I'd worry about that later.