Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity (/Thread-Georgia-Tech-Online-Master-of-Science-in-Cybersecurity)

Pages: 1 2

Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - durain - 08-09-2018

Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity.

Now accepting applications for Spring 2019.

https://pe.gatech.edu/degrees/cybersecurity?utm_source=gtpe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=omscyber-overview-long-08-09-2018

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - jsd - 08-09-2018

Got this email as well and I'm super excited. I've been anxiously waiting since they first teased the program months ago.

Under $10k --- $310/credit, 32 credits needed. 10 classes, 9 3cr classes and one 5cr practicum class.

Application is going to be pretty competitive, but I think I'll give it a shot. Only 250 students are being admitted for the first class.

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - quigongene - 08-09-2018

I'll definitely be looking at this for 2020. Need to finish the bachelor's first.

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - dfrecore - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 10:42 AM)jsd Wrote: Got this email as well and I'm super excited. I've been anxiously waiting since they first teased the program months ago.

Under $10k --- $310/credit, 32 credits needed. 10 classes, 9 3cr classes and one 5cr practicum class.

Application is going to be pretty competitive, but I think I'll give it a shot. Only 250 students are being admitted for the first class.

Go for it!  It's always helpful to have a guinea pig on the forum!  Tongue

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - Nightmoves5 - 08-21-2018

Does on need an undergrad degree in computer science or cybersecurity to be competitive and also effective if admitted?

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - jsd - 08-21-2018

Nope, not required. I'm sure it would be helpful in the admissions process unless you have compelling experience you can speak to outside of academia, but it's not technically a requirement. As far as being effective in the program, I certainly wouldn't want to attempt it with zero background knowledge, I don't think you'd fare well. But if you have professional or other in depth experience, I imagine that would work.

From the admissions page:

Quote:Prerequisites 
For admission into the OMS Cybersecurity program, all applicants are expected to have:

• A Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution

• A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)

Just a BS. No specific major required. I'd be curious to know if they're actually strict about it being a BS as opposed to a BA, but luckily in my case I have both so it won't matter  Tongue

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - dfrecore - 08-21-2018

(08-21-2018, 12:34 PM)jsd Wrote: Nope, not required. I'm sure it would be helpful in the admissions process unless you have compelling experience you can speak to outside of academia, but it's not technically a requirement. As far as being effective in the program, I certainly wouldn't want to attempt it with zero background knowledge, I don't think you'd fare well. But if you have professional or other in depth experience, I imagine that would work.

From the admissions page:

Quote:Prerequisites 
For admission into the OMS Cybersecurity program, all applicants are expected to have:
  • A Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution

• A minimum GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)

Just a BS. No specific major required. I'd be curious to know if they're actually strict about it being a BS as opposed to a BA, but luckily in my case I have both so it won't matter  Tongue

Lots of Computer Science degrees are BA's, so that's an interesting requirement.  I wonder if they just didn't think it through?

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - Nightmoves5 - 08-22-2018

Thanks for the info JSD! Also wondering about the BA vs. BS requirement

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - davewill - 08-22-2018

The GT OMSCS requirements just reads "a four-year bachelor’s degree (or equivalent as determined by Georgia Tech) from a regionally-accredited institution." They took my TESU BACS for that. Either they didn't think the BA vs BS part through, or they specifically want you to have the science and math coursework that would normally be in a BS, but is not always in a BA. I strongly suspect that in the worst case, they would insist on a few prerequisite math or science courses if you had a BA. Also, the first cohort is small (200?) and they may loosen this up for the next round.

RE: Georgia Tech Online Master of Science in Cybersecurity - Nightmoves5 - 08-22-2018

(08-22-2018, 08:25 AM)davewill Wrote: The GT OMSCS requirements just reads "a four-year bachelor’s degree (or equivalent as determined by Georgia Tech) from a regionally-accredited institution." They took my TESU BACS for that. Either they didn't think the BA vs BS part through, or they specifically want you to have the science and math coursework that would normally be in a BS, but is not always in a BA. I strongly suspect that in the worst case, they would insist on a few prerequisite  math or science courses if you had a BA. Also, the first cohort is small (200?) and they may loosen this up for the next round.

Thanks for the insight, appreciate it!