Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies (/Thread-New-Member-need-assistance-with-TESU-degree-plan-BA-in-Lib-Studies)

Pages: 1 2

New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - PBenitez - 08-09-2018

Hey I'm new to the forum and I have a couple questions! I currently am in my last semester for my associates degree in Computer simulations and game development. I'm looking to get my bachelors degree as soon as possible because my goal is to teach abroad by the end of next year and I need at least a bachelors for it. I want to take the BA in Liberal Studies path. I need help in knowing how to get started with Thomas Edison State Uni saving as my much money as i can. I've read about taking CLEP test and online courses with Study.com to gain transferable credits to TESU and creating a degree plan but I don't know where or how to start. Do i have to apply to the Uni first or get the credits first and what a capstone is and if I have to speak with TESU admissions first. If some one can help me with figuring these things out I would be really appreciative.
These are the classes I already passed in community college. I know most of the tech related ones will not be usable

SGD-162 SG 3D Animation
SGD-174 SG Level Design
SGD-213 SGD Programming II
SGD-214 3D Modeling II
WEB-140 Web Development Tools
SGD-116 Graphic Design Tools
SGD-161 SG Animation
SGD-212 SGD Design II
SGD-232 Survey of Game Engines
ENG-112 Writing/Research in the Discipline 
SGD-111 Introduction to SGD
SGD-112 SGD Design
SGD-113 SGD Programming
SGD-114 3D Modeling
ART-111 Art Appreciation
ENG-111 Writing and Inquiry
MAT-171 Precalculus Algebra
PSY-150 General Psychology
COM-120 Intro Interpersonal Communication

Thanks for your time and help!

RE: New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - armstrongsubero - 08-09-2018

Have you considered the Techical Studies Degree? You seem to have a lot of AOS for it.

RE: New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - PBenitez - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 06:21 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Have you considered the Techical Studies Degree? You seem to have a lot of AOS for it.
I have not, i was told a BA in Liberal Studies was the easier one to obtain but I'll definitely check it out right now. My only worry is that i might not be able to test out of most of their technical classes.

RE: New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - MNomadic - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 06:34 PM)PBenitez Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 06:21 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: Have you considered the Techical Studies Degree? You seem to have a lot of AOS for it.
I have not, i was told a BA in Liberal Studies was the easier one to obtain but I'll definitely check it out right now. My only worry is that i might not be able to test out of most of their technical classes.
Normally for most people BALS is simpler and easier to get but since YOU already have 10+ technical classes, I'd say technical studies is worth looking into. You'd still need the capstone and UL credits.

- You can apply now to see where your credits stand and then work on credits or you can wait after after you get some credits finished first. The general education requirements are pretty universal for all their degree programs so you can definitely start on those first.

- Working on CLEPs through Modern States is probably the most time and money efficient way to get most of your gen eds complete.

Edited because I accidentally said "I" and not you

RE: New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - PBenitez - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 06:45 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
Normally for most people BALS is simpler and easier to get but since YOU already have 10+ technical classes, I'd say technical studies is worth looking into. You'd still need the capstone and UL credits.

- You can apply now to see where your credits stand and then work on credits or you can wait after after you get some credits finished first. The general education requirements are pretty universal for all their degree programs so you can definitely start on those first.

- Working on CLEPs through Modern States is probably the most time and money efficient way to get most of your gen eds complete.

Thanks for the advise! do you have any tips on how to start a degree plan like what classes can be tested out with CLEP or DSST/TECEP and what classes need to be taken with websites like study.com or staighterline

RE: New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - davewill - 08-09-2018

I'm a little confused because you say you're close to an associate's, but you don't have many of the GenEd courses I would expect you to need for it. Perhaps it's an AAS? Anyway, the first steps are going to be the same no matter which degree you choose, apply to TESU and send your transcript in. Your might want to until you graduate if there's more courses to finish. Meanwhile, work on the GenEd portion of the BALS as it will be the same as the GenEds for the technical studies degree.

(08-09-2018, 08:34 PM)davewill Wrote:

I'm a little confused because you say you're close to an associate's, but you don't have many of the GenEd courses I would expect you to need for it. Perhaps it's an AAS? Anyway, the first steps are going to be the same no matter which degree you choose, apply to TESU and send your transcript in. Your might want to until you graduate if there's more courses to finish. Meanwhile, work on the GenEd portion of the BALS as it will be the same as the GenEds for the technical studies degree.
My mistake you're right it is a AAS and thank you for the information!

RE: New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies - MNomadic - 08-09-2018

(08-09-2018, 08:29 PM)PBenitez Wrote:

Thanks for the advise! do you have any tips on how to start a degree plan like what classes can be tested out with CLEP or DSST/TECEP and what classes need to be taken with websites like study.com or staighterline

In addition to the classes you have listed, what classes are you doing right now in your final semester?

(08-09-2018, 09:09 PM)MNomadic Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 08:29 PM)PBenitez Wrote:

In addition to the classes you have listed, what classes are you doing right now in your final semester?

For my final semester i have mostly electives:
GRD 121- Drawing Fundamentals 1
SGD 289- SGD Project
SGD 117- Art For Games
COM 120- Interpersonal Communications

Your com 120 class should cover the communications requirement at TESU. I'm on my phone right now, otherwise I'd look at a spreadsheet but it looks like you're off to a solid start. You should have free electives done and I'm not sure but maybe all those art classes can count as humanities.