Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? (/Thread-Sophia-Learning-Non-proctored)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - katelynn - 08-11-2018

Hey guys, I'm a tad inconvenienced at the moment and need some help. 

I love the Sophia format and really want to return to them for some of my Gen Ed courses. I've taken their free courses as well as their Philosophy course, which were all non-proctored. The reason these worked out for me is because I don't have a webcam at the moment. My laptop is quite old and I'm in the market for a new one (just went to Best Buy yesterday, actually). I'm confident I'll be making a final decision on a new laptop fairly soon, and the proctored courses will no longer be an issue as I'll have a built in webcam. IN THE MEAN TIME, I have a lot of free time this weekend and as we all know, time is money. Are there any other courses through Sophia that you guys have taken that didn't have the ID verification final? 

It seems both the English courses only have a final milestone (I think that means no ID verified final), but I'm not positive. The history courses also look promising based on their student guides. I really can't be sure and would love some feedback from those of you who actually finished these courses. I need a bunch of credits, so please advise me to anything that isn't proctored. 

Also, any updates on the Sophia coupons? Really bummed about the 5 for $99 each coupon being cancelled. I think the 50% Phoenix coupon is still applicable. 

Thanks guys!

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - MNomadic - 08-11-2018

The Phoenix Sophia site still advertises the 50% off at the top.

I took the foundations of English composition course and it had no proctored final.

Another option is to just start working on the material for any of the courses you want/need and worry about the ID verification final after you get a laptop/webcam. Basically as long as you do it within 2-3 months of when you start the course, you'll be good.

If money is an issue, many people have bought $20 webcams that have worked just fine for their proctored finals.

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - katelynn - 08-11-2018

(08-11-2018, 02:23 PM)MNomadic Wrote: The Phoenix Sophia site still advertises the 50% off at the top.

I took the foundations of English composition course and it had no proctored final.

Another option is to just start working on the material for any of the courses you want/need and worry about the ID verification final after you get a laptop/webcam. Basically as long as you do it within 2-3 months of when you start the course, you'll be good.

If money is an issue, many people have bought $20 webcams that have worked just fine for their proctored finals.

By any chance do you know what the foundations of English course comes in as at TESU? I was hoping I could take that one as well as English Comp I to satisfy the English portion of the BSBA for General Management.

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - cookderosa - 08-11-2018

(08-11-2018, 02:13 PM)katelynn Wrote: Hey guys, I'm a tad inconvenienced at the moment and need some help. 

I love the Sophia format and really want to return to them for some of my Gen Ed courses. I've taken their free courses as well as their Philosophy course, which were all non-proctored. The reason these worked out for me is because I don't have a webcam at the moment. My laptop is quite old and I'm in the market for a new one (just went to Best Buy yesterday, actually). I'm confident I'll be making a final decision on a new laptop fairly soon, and the proctored courses will no longer be an issue as I'll have a built in webcam. IN THE MEAN TIME, I have a lot of free time this weekend and as we all know, time is money. Are there any other courses through Sophia that you guys have taken that didn't have the ID verification final? 

It seems both the English courses only have a final milestone (I think that means no ID verified final), but I'm not positive. The history courses also look promising based on their student guides. I really can't be sure and would love some feedback from those of you who actually finished these courses. I need a bunch of credits, so please advise me to anything that isn't proctored. 

Also, any updates on the Sophia coupons? Really bummed about the 5 for $99 each coupon being cancelled. I think the 50% Phoenix coupon is still applicable. 

Thanks guys!

This doesn't help with Sophia, but there are a few Straighterline options without a final exam (their courses that have finals do require proctoring). English 1 & 2 (though neither can be done in just one weekend unless you're a crazy fast writer) and all of their science labs also.

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - katelynn - 08-11-2018

(08-11-2018, 02:36 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(08-11-2018, 02:13 PM)katelynn Wrote: Hey guys, I'm a tad inconvenienced at the moment and need some help. 

Thanks guys!

This doesn't help with Sophia, but there are a few Straighterline options without a final exam (their courses that have finals do require proctoring).  English 1 & 2 (though neither can be done in just one weekend unless you're a crazy fast writer) and all of their science labs also.

I had no idea Straighterline offered several courses without a final exam! You're a life saver, Jennifer! Do you know if those two English courses will satisfy the English portion of the TESU BSBA degree? I really want to get the English portion over with.

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - MNomadic - 08-11-2018

Don't know what foundations English transfers in as but I believe they should follow the ACE recommendation. I just sent in my ACE transcript a few days ago and it has all 3 foundations courses on it. I will post my results ASAP when I find out.

English composition 1 & 2 through SL work.

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - cookderosa - 08-11-2018

(08-11-2018, 02:39 PM)katelynn Wrote:

Thanks guys!

This doesn't help with Sophia, but there are a few Straighterline options without a final exam (their courses that have finals do require proctoring).  English 1 & 2 (though neither can be done in just one weekend unless you're a crazy fast writer) and all of their science labs also.

I had no idea Straighterline offered several courses without a final exam! You're a life saver, Jennifer! Do you know if those two English courses will satisfy the English portion of the TESU BSBA degree? I really want to get the English portion over with.

Yes- per the transfer agreement https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/thomas-edison-state-university/course-equivalency/
English Composition I - ENC-101 English Composition I - ENG101 3
English Composition II - ENC-102 English Composition II - ENG102 3

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - BSLIONS - 08-12-2018

(08-11-2018, 02:49 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Don't know what foundations English transfers in as but I believe they should follow the ACE recommendation. I just sent in my ACE transcript a few days ago and it has all 3 foundations courses on it. I will post my results ASAP when I find out.

I'm curious about this too because I took the Foundations of Statistics course.

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - SophiaLearning - 08-13-2018

Thanks guys!

If you create an account on sophia.org, NONE of the courses are proctored (using biometric keyboard verification instead).  Also, if you register for 3 courses, you can use HALFOFF promo code for 50% all courses (AGP is $149 full retail, so this course ends up being $74.50 and transfers to TESU as PHI-226).

RE: Sophia Learning Non-proctored? - MNomadic - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 10:03 AM)SophiaLearning Wrote:

Thanks guys!

If you create an account on sophia.org, NONE of the courses are proctored (using biometric keyboard verification instead).  Also, if you register for 3 courses, you can use HALFOFF promo code for 50% all courses (AGP is $149 full retail, so this course ends up being $74.50 and transfers to TESU as PHI-226).

Thanks for the info.

What is "biometric keyboard verification?"