Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Upper Level BALS courses - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Specific College Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Specific-College-Discussion)
+--- Forum: TESU - Thomas Edison State University Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-TESU-Thomas-Edison-State-University-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Upper Level BALS courses (/Thread-Upper-Level-BALS-courses)

Pages: 1 2

Upper Level BALS courses - Mab81 - 08-19-2018

Hi everyone, I am investigating some options of courses I could take for the BALS at TESU if I went that route, instead of trying to transfer to my local college.

I am interested in this option: " Students complete a total of 30 credits of Liberal Studies courses that include at least 15 credits at the 300/400 level and no more than 6 credits at the 100 level."

I am not sure what constitutes a liberal studies course. I think Social Science and Humanities both do, but what about things like Foreign Language or History? Or Art History at Sophia? Looking at the categories from this link on Study.com, I am trying to determine which categories I would be able to choose from. 
https://study.com/directory/school/Thomas_Edison_State_University.html#transferTab

I am also interested in Sophia or Ed4Credit. But I am just not sure what type of courses are considered correct for the BALS AOS at TESU. 

I have seen a couple degree plans but I don't want to have to choose the exact courses someone else chose, i would like to be able to determine what courses are eligible. If anyone can help me to help myself, i would appreciate it.

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - indigoshuffle - 08-19-2018

(08-19-2018, 09:41 PM)Mab81 Wrote: Hi everyone, I am investigating some options of courses I could take for the BALS at TESU if I went that route, instead of trying to transfer to my local college.

I am interested in this option: " Students complete a total of 30 credits of Liberal Studies courses that include at least 15 credits at the 300/400 level and no more than 6 credits at the 100 level."

I am not sure what constitutes a liberal studies course. I think Social Science and Humanities both do, but what about things like Foreign Language or History? Or Art History at Sophia? Looking at the categories from this link on Study.com, I am trying to determine which categories I would be able to choose from. 
https://study.com/directory/school/Thomas_Edison_State_University.html#transferTab

I am also interested in Sophia or Ed4Credit. But I am just not sure what type of courses are considered correct for the BALS AOS at TESU. 

I have seen a couple degree plans but I don't want to have to choose the exact courses someone else chose, i would like to be able to determine what courses are eligible. If anyone can help me to help myself, i would appreciate it.

Maybe this will help...

"The Liberal Studies program is designed for students interested in combining coursework in two or more disciplines within Liberal Arts subject areas to create a multidisciplinary degree." 

Part of the purpose of a Liberal Arts education is to, "Explain the interrelationships between the conceptual frameworks that distinguish liberal arts subjects"

Further below, on the same webpage, they list communications, computer science, criminal justice, general management, health and wellness, human resources management, humanities, labor studies, natural sciences, mathematics, psychology, and social sciences as all falling into the realm of Liberal Studies.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/clep-college-level-exam-program

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - davewill - 08-19-2018

All of those are liberal studies. English, math, science, art, language, humanities, and history, are all ok. What doesn't work? Business, applied science, PE, practical arts. TESU is unique in allowing computer science and CIS course that would normally not be liberal studies.

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - ekbenzo - 08-21-2018

Oh wow,so digital marketing from study.com won't work for UL for the BA in liberal arts?

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - dfrecore - 08-21-2018

(08-21-2018, 12:02 AM)ekbenzo Wrote: Oh wow,so digital marketing from study.com won't work for UL for the BA in liberal arts?

Actually, it will - for whatever reason, they accept it as a CIS course in the BALS.

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - Mab81 - 08-22-2018

So what I seem to be hearing is that basically anything can be AOS in the BALS degree?

I looked at Study.com to see what courses they say are UL at TESU. These are the ones I am thinking of choosing from. Are there any that you think would NOT be eligible for AOS UL in the BALS? (that's a lot of acronyms). The study.com name is on the left and the TESU name is on the right.

Study.com name TESU name
English 305: Advanced Technical Writing ENG-306 : Intermediate Technical Writing
History 306: The American Civil War Era HIS-450 : The American Civil War Era
History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War
History 311: The Holocaust & World War II HIS-354 : The Holocaust I
Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology PSY-401 : Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality PSY-352 : Psychology of Personality
Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology PSY-400 : History and Systems of Psychology
Criminal Justice 305: The Juvenile Justice System AOJ-364 : Juvenile Justice Process
Education 103: Classroom Management EDU-319 : Classroom Management Techniques (free elective)
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work SOC-362 : Sociology of Work

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - dfrecore - 08-23-2018

EDU specifically says "free elective" which means it's not a BALS course. So don't take that one.

You can also take:
CJ 305: The Juvenile Justice System (AOJ-364)
COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design (CIS-320)
COMPSCI 303: Database Management (CIS-311)
BUS 303: Management Info Systems (CIS-301)
BUS 324: Managerial Communication
BUS 323: Organizational Theory (PSY-360)
BUS 318: Management Ethics (PHI-400)
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (COM-391)
BUS 305: Leadership Communication
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior

People on this forum have said that the Comm courses I listed came in as BALS AOS courses, but none took all 3 - which means that they might be considered duplicates.

Whatever you decide, I would always talk to TESU first and make sure they will accept a course in the AOS before taking them.

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - Johmford - 08-23-2018

I used DSST to fulfill my UL requirements and I thought they were easy to study for and pass

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - Mab81 - 08-23-2018

(08-23-2018, 02:33 PM)jjsafari Wrote: I used DSST to fulfill my UL requirements and I thought they were easy to study for and pass

Which DSSTs did you take?

RE: Upper Level BALS courses - ekbenzo - 08-23-2018

(08-22-2018, 09:34 PM)Mab81 Wrote: So what I seem to be hearing is that basically anything can be AOS in the BALS degree?

I looked at Study.com to see what courses they say are UL at TESU. These are the ones I am thinking of choosing from. Are there any that you think would NOT be eligible for AOS UL in the BALS? (that's a lot of acronyms). The study.com name is on the left and the TESU name is on the right.

Study.com name TESU name
English 305: Advanced Technical Writing ENG-306 : Intermediate Technical Writing
History 306: The American Civil War Era HIS-450 : The American Civil War Era
History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War HIS-351 : A History of Vietnam War
History 311: The Holocaust & World War II HIS-354 : The Holocaust I
Psychology 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology PSY-401 : Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Psychology 310: Psychology of Personality PSY-352 : Psychology of Personality
Psychology 312: History and Systems of Psychology PSY-400 : History and Systems of Psychology
Criminal Justice 305: The Juvenile Justice System AOJ-364 : Juvenile Justice Process
Education 103: Classroom Management EDU-319 : Classroom Management Techniques (free elective)
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work SOC-362 : Sociology of Work
On the study.com tesu transfer page not.all of those are UL right?only one of the Vietnam war courses are UL.

(08-23-2018, 12:10 AM)dfrecore Wrote: EDU specifically says "free elective" which means it's not a BALS course. So don't take that one.

You can also take:
CJ 305: The Juvenile Justice System (AOJ-364)
COMPSCI 302: Systems Analysis & Design (CIS-320)
COMPSCI 303: Database Management (CIS-311)
BUS 303: Management Info Systems (CIS-301)
BUS 324: Managerial Communication
BUS 323: Organizational Theory (PSY-360)
BUS 318: Management Ethics (PHI-400)
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (COM-391)
BUS 305: Leadership Communication
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior

People on this forum have said that the Comm courses I listed came in as BALS AOS courses, but none took all 3 - which means that they might be considered duplicates.

Whatever you decide, I would always talk to TESU first and make sure they will accept a course in the AOS before taking them.
Davewill's post said you can't take Business UL courses for the liberal studies?