Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Can I not take Study.com courses if I'm not enrolled? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Can I not take Study.com courses if I'm not enrolled? (/Thread-Can-I-not-take-Study-com-courses-if-I-m-not-enrolled)

Can I not take Study.com courses if I'm not enrolled? - katelynn - 08-20-2018

I feel like I've posted a lot today, but it's one of those nights where I'm really overwhelmed by all the information and rules to remember. I just learned that TESU requires official transcripts from Study.com, so does that mean I can't take any of their courses until I'm enrolled in TESU? All I'm working with right now is my ACE transcript, but I guess Study.com credits don't go on there. I'm so overwhelmed. 

Another question, I just read that a member on here doesn't take the proctored finals on Study.com since "ACE doesn't matter for Study.com if you're enrolling in TESU," could someone clear that up for me? Can you request credit without taking the final?

Here's a quote from the TESU website that mentions the Study.com transcript:
"Transfer your Study.com college classes to Thomas Edison and finish your remaining credits to earn your degree. Transcripts for Study.com courses will need to come directly from Study.com to Thomas Edison for an applicant to be coded as a Study.com student, and receive the partnership benefits. Without the Study.com transcript, a general Thomas Edison student coding will be applied."

RE: Can I not take Study.com courses if I'm not enrolled? - Merlin - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 12:41 AM)katelynn Wrote: I feel like I've posted a lot today, but it's one of those nights where I'm really overwhelmed by all the information and rules to remember. I just learned that TESU requires official transcripts from Study.com, so does that mean I can't take any of their courses until I'm enrolled in TESU? All I'm working with right now is my ACE transcript, but I guess Study.com credits don't go on there. I'm so overwhelmed. 

No. What that means is that when you take courses from Study.com that you want to use at TESU, you use the webform to have Study.com send transcripts directly to TESU instead of going through ACE. Note: You should still register the completed courses with ACE as well so you have a backup, but TESU wants direct transcripts from Study.com. Technically they also want transcripts direct from Straighterline, but they will still accept those from ACE as well.

In any case, you don't have to be enrolled at TESU when taking Study.com courses, but you will need to have applied and be accepted before they will evaluate a transcript. However, keep in mind that TESU only does two free evaluations when you first apply (and you can't specify when they do them, mine were done back to back before all my transcripts even arrived so they didn't include any of my ACE credits for example) and any further evals won't happen until you enroll.

(08-20-2018, 12:41 AM)katelynn Wrote: Another question, I just read that a member on here doesn't take the proctored finals on Study.com since "ACE doesn't matter for Study.com if you're enrolling in TESU," could someone clear that up for me? Can you request credit without taking the final?

That sounds like a misunderstanding. If you don't take the proctored final you cannot earn college credit from Study.com courses. Some people might also use Study.com to prepare for a TECEP or CLEP exam they take elsewhere. But most people don't do that. What that quote means is what I explained above, in that TESU wants Study.com transcripts direct and not via ACE.

RE: Can I not take Study.com courses if I'm not enrolled? - davewill - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 12:41 AM)katelynn Wrote: I feel like I've posted a lot today, but it's one of those nights where I'm really overwhelmed by all the information and rules to remember. I just learned that TESU requires official transcripts from Study.com, so does that mean I can't take any of their courses until I'm enrolled in TESU? All I'm working with right now is my ACE transcript, but I guess Study.com credits don't go on there. I'm so overwhelmed. 

Another question, I just read that a member on here doesn't take the proctored finals on Study.com since "ACE doesn't matter for Study.com if you're enrolling in TESU," could someone clear that up for me? Can you request credit without taking the final?

"Transfer your Study.com college classes to Thomas Edison and finish your remaining credits to earn your degree. Transcripts for Study.com courses will need to come directly from Study.com to Thomas Edison for an applicant to be coded as a Study.com student, and receive the partnership benefits. Without the Study.com transcript, a general Thomas Edison student coding will be applied."

No, you can simply wait until you apply to TESU before sending in your transcript. In fact, the process is a little easier if you're already a Study.com member when you apply to TESU as you can simply tick the box saying so when you do the application. If you join Study.com after you're a TESU student, you have to make a request for them to apply the affiliation. Once you're accepted, you can freely send transcripts, but as Merlin explained, they may not get evaluated after the first two batches, at which time you'd have to enroll to have them evaluated.

P.S. Don't worry about the questions. Much better to ask now than proceed without adequate knowledge.

RE: Can I not take Study.com courses if I'm not enrolled? - katelynn - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 01:06 AM)Merlin Wrote:

No. What that means is that when you take courses from Study.com that you want to use at TESU, you use the webform to have Study.com send transcripts directly to TESU instead of going through ACE. Note: You should still register the completed courses with ACE as well so you have a backup, but TESU wants direct transcripts from Study.com. Technically they also want transcripts direct from Straighterline, but they will still accept those from ACE as well.

In any case, you don't have to be enrolled at TESU when taking Study.com courses, but you will need to have applied and be accepted before they will evaluate a transcript. However, keep in mind that TESU only does two free evaluations when you first apply (and you can't specify when they do them, mine were done back to back before all my transcripts even arrived so they didn't include any of my ACE credits for example) and any further evals won't happen until you enroll.

(08-20-2018, 12:41 AM)katelynn Wrote: Another question, I just read that a member on here doesn't take the proctored finals on Study.com since "ACE doesn't matter for Study.com if you're enrolling in TESU," could someone clear that up for me? Can you request credit without taking the final?

That sounds like a misunderstanding. If you don't take the proctored final you cannot earn college credit from Study.com courses. Some people might also use Study.com to prepare for a TECEP or CLEP exam they take elsewhere. But most people don't do that. What that quote means is what I explained above, in that TESU wants Study.com transcripts direct and not via ACE.

Thank you for explaining that to me. So Study.com will keep a transcript for me and keep a record of all their courses I take, and I can request them to send it to TESU whenever I enroll, got it.

(08-20-2018, 09:04 AM)davewill Wrote:

No, you can simply wait until you apply to TESU before sending in your transcript. In fact, the process is a little easier if you're already a Study.com member when you apply to TESU as you can simply tick the box saying so when you do the application. If you join Study.com after you're a TESU student, you have to make a request for them to apply the affiliation. Once you're accepted, you can freely send transcripts, but as Merlin explained, they may not get evaluated after the first two batches, at which time you'd have to enroll to have them evaluated.

P.S. Don't worry about the questions. Much better to ask now than proceed without adequate knowledge.

Thank you so much, I feel much more comfortable now that I understand. Would you mind explaining the Study.com coupon I've heard about that lowers the price of the TESU residency waiver? Do I have to do something special in order to get that, or will I automatically qualify for it once I become a Study.com member?

RE: Can I not take Study.com courses if I'm not enrolled? - MNomadic - 08-20-2018

(08-20-2018, 12:19 PM)katelynn Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 01:06 AM)Merlin Wrote:

Thank you for explaining that to me. So Study.com will keep a transcript for me and keep a record of all their courses I take, and I can request them to send it to TESU whenever I enroll, got it.

(08-20-2018, 09:04 AM)davewill Wrote:

Thank you so much, I feel much more comfortable now that I understand. Would you mind explaining the Study.com coupon I've heard about that lowers the price of the TESU residency waiver? Do I have to do something special in order to get that, or will I automatically qualify for it once I become a Study.com member?

Here is what you need to do in order to get the study.com affiliate pricing: 
-on your TESU application, select "study.com" when it asks if you are affiliated with any of the partner organizations
-have at least 1 study.com course sent over to TESU
-If you already applied without checking that option, a simple email to TESU asking them to apply the study.com partner affiliate pricing to your account, should rectify it