Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! (/Thread-2018-2019-Updated-Associates-Degree-Plan-Options)

Pages: 1 2

2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - Mikele8 - 08-22-2018

Okay y'all...this online degree/testing thing has BLOSSOMED since I took my first CLEP test 10+ yrs ago! I am super lost on all the new ways to earn credits like Saylor and Straightliner, plus the old ways that have gone (FEMA freebies I guess are over?!)

Backstory: I have 2 family members that live in a very rural area and have little to know job ops other than Ed Techs at school and other super low paying things. Both keep asking me about online things they could do to get a better job (although both aren't super open to "non-traditional" things though). 

What are some new AA/AS degree plans that would be relatively cheap and fast to get? And also simple since neither has done a lot of education period (no credits earned anywhere that I know of.) 

Liberal studies would be fine, but something education related or business would be even better probably. I tried looking at the Wiki and couldn't find any Associate degree specific plans.

Also important, CLEP tests or online credits only would be great because the nearest place to take "fancy" tests like DANTES is 3+ hours away and that's not feasible. As it is CLEP tests are almost an hour away from their town. 

Any help getting a degree plan and budget started for them would be SO appreciated!! 

Thanks!  Smile

RE: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - Tedium - 08-22-2018

I believe the fastest and cheapest is the COSC with FEMA AA/AS. COSC still takes FEMA.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/COSC_Degree_Plans

I think they beat out TESU now, but I'm not the TESU expert.

Also, jump on the free NFA credit before it expires 09/30. It will say on the NFA site that it is not eligible for credit, but ACE still lists them until that date.

Jump on Modern States while they are still giving out vouchers and they can take their CLEPs for free!: https://modernstates.org/

If they can get through the courses quickly to get their vouchers, they can order the tests as soon as they are done and still have 6 months to take the exam. I mention that because they are only giving out a limited number of vouchers.

RE: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - Mikele8 - 08-22-2018

Thank you SO much! The Modern States thing is so cool, wish they had that when I was a kid!

Can I ask for clarification on the NFA part you mentioned? Thanks!

RE: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - MNomadic - 08-22-2018

(08-22-2018, 02:51 PM)Mikele8 Wrote: Thank you SO much! The Modern States thing is so cool, wish they had that when I was a kid!

Can I ask for clarification on the NFA part you mentioned? Thanks!

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Free_Sources_of_Credit

Info for the NFA credit and a handful of other free credits can be found there. I've done all the free ones(besides FEMA) and can recommend them all.

Well, the TEEX cyber 201 & 301 are a pain in the but so keep that in mind when you're deciding if they're worth it to you.

Also, I would highly recommend taking the two free Sophia courses. They are fast, and relatively painless. Easy two credits, and a good introduction to non-traditional learning credits for your uninitiated family members.

Links to both are listed in the link MNomadic posted above.

RE: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - quigongene - 08-22-2018

(08-22-2018, 02:59 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Well, the TEEX cyber 201 & 301 are a pain in the but so keep that in mind when you're deciding if they're worth it to you.

Work in cyber security, can confirm :-P

(08-22-2018, 05:05 PM)quigongene Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 02:59 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Well, the TEEX cyber 201 & 301 are a pain in the but so keep that in mind when you're deciding if they're worth it to you.

lol are they really that bad? Those are the only freebies I haven't taken and you guys are making me not want to now.  Tongue

RE: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - dfrecore - 08-23-2018

(08-22-2018, 05:14 PM)Tedium Wrote:

lol are they really that bad? Those are the only freebies I haven't taken and you guys are making me not want to now.  Tongue

As someone not in the tech field, I thought the first module of the first course was slow, and it just got worse from there.  Finally gave it up after finishing the 2nd module.  It wasn't worth my time.

RE: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - zzzz24 - 08-23-2018

First course is definitely easy/doable for anyone with any computer/internet experience, but definitely gets harder from there.

I did all 3 and I found there were a ton of slides/vids to go through before even attempting the quizzes, but I think it was worth it to obtain 6 free credits.

RE: 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! - cookderosa - 08-23-2018

(08-22-2018, 05:14 PM)Tedium Wrote:

as an example, the first slide opens and the audio begins to play. For 2 minutes you get to listen to the audio before an icon opens up. (No fast forward, no 2x speed, nothing- just listen and wait) Then inside of the slide are 8 icons, each requiring a click - read/listen, in turn. One......read/listen, two.....read/listen.....through all 8. Only then will you progress to the next slide.

Now you go onto slide 2. Maybe that's just text *yeah, so you can click forward.
But then, it's a pop quiz! Wink Pass to progress.

Some courses have 60 slides and remember each 2 credit course consists of 3-4 classes. So, you're doing about 180 of these slides for 2 credits. It will take you hours of sitting there clicking/waiting.

So, is it hard? None of my high school non-IT kids though it was "hard." They all thought it was torture.