Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors (/Thread-Ivy-League-Masters-programs-with-TESU-Bachelors)

Pages: 1 2

Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - Supermind - 09-13-2018

Hi. 
I happened to read on the TESU blog that some of their alumni have been accepted for Masters programs at Harvard, MIT or Yale. Anyone in this community with similar experiences? I am interested to know.

RE: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - videogamesrock - 09-13-2018

I would guess those people had quite a few graded credits — most likely 60+.

RE: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - Supermind - 09-13-2018

(09-13-2018, 12:24 PM)videogamesrock Wrote: I would guess those people had quite a few graded credits — most likely 60+.

Is it not possible without that?

RE: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - MNomadic - 09-13-2018

I wouldn't say that some things are or aren't possible because there will be SO many different admissions/applications requirements for different schools and for different programs within those different schools. Most will want you to have a certain amount of traditional, graded courses to meet the prerequisites of the program. IE if you want to get a MA in psychology from Harvard, 30+ credits of SDC psyche courses without grades probably won't cut it(just an example, maybe they will or maybe that program doesn't exist). But don't take my word for it, look at the specific requirements for the programs and schools you're interested in to find out what they will accept AND what they will consider competitive. You should also contact the admissions personnel at that school to get specifics since our ACE/CLEP/NCCRS/alt credit degrees are very unconventional and many graduate programs may not be as familiar with our methods.

Take note that an undergraduate degree is only one small piece of the admissions equation and is likely not enough on it's own for very selective programs. Relevant job experience and graduate program test score(like GRE)are often weighed very heavily compared to your undergrad degree.

(09-13-2018, 08:02 PM)MNomadic Wrote: I wouldn't say that some things are or aren't possible because there will be SO many different admissions/applications requirements for different schools and for different programs within those different schools. Most will want you to have a certain amount of traditional, graded courses to meet the prerequisites of the program. IE if you want to get a MA in psychology from Harvard, 30+ credits of SDC psyche courses without grades probably won't cut it(just an example, maybe they will or maybe that program doesn't exist). But don't take my word for it, look at the specific requirements for the programs and schools you're interested in to find out what they will accept AND what they will consider competitive. You should also contact the admissions personnel at that school to get specifics since our ACE/CLEP/NCCRS/alt credit degrees are very unconventional and many graduate programs may not be as familiar with our methods.

Take note that an undergraduate degree is only one small piece of the admissions equation and is likely not enough on it's own for very selective programs. Relevant job experience and graduate program test score(like GRE)are often weighed very heavily compared to your undergrad degree.
Thank you. The reason I ask this is, my ultimate goal is to get into some such Masters program. I just want to know if my TESU degree would kind of pave the path for that. I attempted the GRE a few months ago just to see what it's like. I scored quite well. I might do it once more once I get my TESU degree.

RE: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - jsd - 09-13-2018

If you have a specific goal it's important to work backwards form that goal. Definitely take MNomadic's advice and find out the requirements of the program you want to get into and see if TESU will work out.

I found these links online. They offer some clarity, but like you said, I need to check with the admissions authorities in these institutions. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/articles/2016-08-01/what-grad-school-admissions-officers-think-of-online-bachelors-degrees

https://www.top10onlinecolleges.org/faq/earn-bachelors-degree-online-masters-traditional-campus/

RE: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - allvia - 09-14-2018

There are so many highly regarded schools w/psychology programs here in the U.S. (& abroad), and as jsd stated admissions requirements not only vary by school they also vary by program.   Most of the top programs will likely not be offered in an online only format. Even the Harvard Extension School's program requires some of the courses to be completed on campus: https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/psychology-degree

You're in India.  Are you looking to do this Master's online? If so, that likely limits your grad school options more than any other factor; as fewer elite schools offer fully online programs (at the grad school level). However, I am sure there are quality RA schools here in the U.S. with fully online programs (who accept international students) - you'd just have to search them out, and find out what they require for admission.

RE: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - Supermind - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 07:15 AM)allvia Wrote: There are so many highly regarded schools w/psychology programs here in the U.S. (& abroad), and as jsd stated admissions requirements not only vary by school they also vary by program.   Most of the top programs will likely not be offered in an online only format. Even the Harvard Extension School's program requires some of the courses to be completed on campus: https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/psychology-degree

You're in India.  Are you looking to do this Master's online? If so, that likely limits your grad school options more than any other factor; as fewer elite schools offer fully online programs (at the grad school level). However, I am sure there are quality RA schools here in the U.S. with fully online programs (who accept international students) - you'd just have to search them out, and find out what they require for admission.

No. I am looking to do my Bachelor's online. But I am trying to understand if a BAchelor's degree earned online from accredited institutions will be considered while applying for Grad School in a traditional university? I mean, I don't want to be denied admission just because of this one factor.

RE: Ivy League Masters programs with TESU Bachelors - cookderosa - 09-14-2018

(09-14-2018, 07:29 AM)Supermind Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 07:15 AM)allvia Wrote: There are so many highly regarded schools w/psychology programs here in the U.S. (& abroad), and as jsd stated admissions requirements not only vary by school they also vary by program.   Most of the top programs will likely not be offered in an online only format. Even the Harvard Extension School's program requires some of the courses to be completed on campus: https://www.extension.harvard.edu/academics/graduate-degrees/psychology-degree

No. I am looking to do my Bachelor's online. But I am trying to understand if a BAchelor's degree earned online from accredited institutions will be considered while applying for Grad School in a traditional university? I mean, I don't want to be denied admission just because of this one factor.

Online, in general, is different than what most people do here. Most people here do NOT take online classes, most people here test out. If you're going to spend $500+ per credit taking online classes at TESU, you're better off choosing your state's best university and taking online classes/ completing a degree with them. Over 90% of accredited colleges offer online degrees, no reason to choose TESU unless you're planning on testing out for the bulk of your credit.

PS many of the Ivy League schools offer online master's programs via their extension or continuing ed colleges, so just "how" Ivy do you mean? For sure you can attend MIT, Harvard, and Johns Hopkins for an online masters - but if you mean butt in seat traditional, then I'm not sure. The sample size of people HERE that can answer that question is probably less than 5, and I'm including people that don't post here anymore.