Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TESU Enrollment Question - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Inactive (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Inactive)
+--- Forum: [ARCHIVE] Excelsior, Thomas Edison, and Charter Oak Specific Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-ARCHIVE-Excelsior-Thomas-Edison-and-Charter-Oak-Specific-Discussion)
+--- Thread: TESU Enrollment Question (/Thread-TESU-Enrollment-Question--30297)

TESU Enrollment Question - mysonx3 - 09-18-2018

I'm trying to figure out if it's a good idea for me to enroll at TESU now so that I can a) Pre-plan credits, b) Get some things "officially" evaluated so I can see where I stand, c) possibly knock out the Cornerstone now rather than waiting, and d) Get the enrollment and some of the transcript sending done now rather than doing it at the end when I'm (presumably) rushing to meet a certain graduation date

But since I'm taking classes at a B&M CC right now to meet the "graded credits" requirement for my desired grad school program(s), I just wanted to check and make sure there's no weird rule that I can only transfer in B&M credits when I first enroll, or something like that.

And since I'm 19 and currently only have alt credits (no RA ones), I know I'll have to take the Accuplacer to get the age waiver. Does anyone know if I can simply have the Accuplacer score that I took a couple weeks ago (for placement at the CC) sent in, or will I have to take it again?

Also, are there any other downsides to enrolling now rather than waiting?

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - bjcheung77 - 09-18-2018

You need an evaluation - This is my recommendation and in this particular order.
1) Apply to TESU in order to get an evaluation and be registered with the school
2) Send all transcripts from ACE/NCCRS and any other colleges you have attended
3) Take courses at any of the ACE providers, Saylor/StraighterLine/Study.com etc
4) Find your AOS (Area of Study/Concentration UL courses) and complete them
5) Take the Cornerstone/Capstone - I recommend doing them when you've got the rest completed
6) Finally, apply for graduation and pay all the required fees to graduate

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - mysonx3 - 09-18-2018

Any particular reason you recommend taking the cornerstone at the end?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - bjcheung77 - 09-18-2018

Personal preference for me I guess, I like to do things in batches/bunches at a time or by a provider at a time. Since you're going for a BALS, I suggest taking all the FREE credit courses (the remaining NFA/TEEX) and ALEKS for your math requirement. If you hate ALEKS with a passion, then focus everything with CLEP/MS, OD/Saylor until you have all the GE/Free electives requirements.

The only other courses you may want to take are from other ACE/NCCRS providers such as StraighterLine and Study.com - mainly Study.com for your AOS (Upper-Level Concentration Courses). Setup yourself a spreadsheet or use the one I have... just modify the first worksheet and use the rest as a reference tool. The final courses should be the capstone/cornerstone, as the cornerstone can be done in a day or less.

I would only recommend taking the cornerstone for enrollment purposes to lock in a catalog year. You may want to get all your "graded courses done first" and focus on that particular part as it's "GPA related" for your grad school of choice. Set that as your highest priority as all ACE/NCCRS requirements are 70% or higher, you don't need to get a 90+ as it's a waste of energy/time.

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - Supermind - 09-19-2018

Could you please share the course numbers or names of the NFA courses that are credit eligible? A link to the site, if possible. I tried checking yesterday and could not find. Also, are the NFA credits still accepted by TESU? I remember reading somewhere on this forum that they are not accepted anymore.

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - Johmford - 09-19-2018

(09-18-2018, 10:33 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: I'm trying to figure out if it's a good idea for me to enroll at TESU now so that I can a) Pre-plan credits, b) Get some things "officially" evaluated so I can see where I stand, c) possibly knock out the Cornerstone now rather than waiting, and d) Get the enrollment and some of the transcript sending done now rather than doing it at the end when I'm (presumably) rushing to meet a certain graduation date

But since I'm taking classes at a B&M CC right now to meet the "graded credits" requirement for my desired grad school program(s), I just wanted to check and make sure there's no weird rule that I can only transfer in B&M credits when I first enroll, or something like that.

And since I'm 19 and currently only have alt credits (no RA ones), I know I'll have to take the Accuplacer to get the age waiver. Does anyone know if I can simply have the Accuplacer score that I took a couple weeks ago (for placement at the CC) sent in, or will I have to take it again?

Also, are there any other downsides to enrolling now rather than waiting?

I transferred graded B&M credits once after applying and once after enrolling and did not have issues.

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - jsd - 09-19-2018

There is only one NFA course that is still ACE approved, and TESU still accepts it --- But you need to hurry, it expires at the end of THIS MONTH. And seeing as how the other courses haven't been renewed, I would assume this one won't be renewed either.

Q0118 Self-Study Course for Community Safety Educators (1 credit)
To signup, use the following link and find this course code in the list: Q0118: http://apps.usfa.fema.gov/nfacourses/catalog/search?&&forget=true&courseCode=Q

After you are enrolled, use this login URL to take the class: https://nfa.plateau.com/learning/user/login.jsp

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - Supermind - 09-19-2018

Oh ok. Thank you. And where would this 1 credit fit in?

RE: TESU Enrollment Question - jsd - 09-19-2018

Free electives (not gen ed electives), if your degree allows for them.