Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Graduate School Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Graduate-School-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months (/Thread-Starting-WGU-MBA-November-Term-Goal-6-months)

Pages: 1 2

Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - amilitab4k9 - 09-19-2018

Hi! 

I am starting the WGU general MBA in the November term. My goal is to finish within one term. I have learned so much and been encouraged by everyone here, so I thought I'd return the favor by posting. 

A little background, in case you're comparing your situation to mine:

I have a Bachelor's in business (emphasis in Accounting) that I earned from TESU in 2013 thanks to the wisdom in this forum. I was able to earn 2 1/2 years worth of credit (CBE & online courses) in 9 months and finished just before baby #2 was born. Now that she has started kindergarten I get to go back to school! Yay! (Yes, I'm a super nerd.)

I should be able to devote 25-30 hours a week to my studies, less my kids' school holidays and sick days. The school year has started pretty rough, so let's hope for a healthy 6 months.  

For the past 3 years, I have been working as a writer a few hours a week writing blog posts for financial advisors. Between my writing experience, Bachelor's in business, and the fact that I'm a pretty good test taker, I don't think I will have a problem finishing within one term.

Everything is all set to go, now I'm just waiting for October 15 when I can access everything.

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - alexf.1990 - 09-19-2018

Congratulations on the decision to go back to school. Have you seen this blog post by someone who finished in 4.5 months?

https://felixwong.com/2015/04/how-i-did-an-accelerated-online-mba-program-in-months-at-wgu/

I've heard its a bear. Good luck!

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - amilitab4k9 - 09-20-2018

(09-19-2018, 09:59 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: Congratulations on the decision to go back to school. Have you seen this blog post by someone who finished in 4.5 months?

https://felixwong.com/2015/04/how-i-did-an-accelerated-online-mba-program-in-months-at-wgu/

I've heard its a bear. Good luck!

Yes, I've done a lot of research on it. I doubt I can beat 4.5 months, but that would be really cool!

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - Johmford - 09-20-2018

I applied recently and was thinking of starting at the same time and doing the same in 1 term.

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - amilitab4k9 - 09-20-2018

(09-20-2018, 03:09 PM)jjsafari Wrote: I applied recently and was thinking of starting at the same time and doing the same in 1 term.

Let me know if you do, we could help push each other along.

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - Kima - 09-25-2018

Hi!  

Sounds like you've got a solid plan.  With the hours you're planning to put in I bet you can achieve it!

I started the WGU MBA in IT Management on September 1st.  My goal is to complete the program in 8 months, but my stretch goal is to get it done in one term.  I work full time and have to take a break from studying for a few weeks around the holidays.  I've already completed the first three courses and am almost through the fourth.  So a one term finish might be in the cards for me.  We'll see.  

Good luck to you.  Keep us posted on how it's going.

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - Merlin - 09-25-2018

(09-25-2018, 06:33 PM)Kima Wrote: Hi!  

Sounds like you've got a solid plan.  With the hours you're planning to put in I bet you can achieve it!

I started the WGU MBA in IT Management on September 1st.  My goal is to complete the program in 8 months, but my stretch goal is to get it done in one term.  I work full time and have to take a break from studying for a few weeks around the holidays.  I've already completed the first three courses and am almost through the fourth.  So a one term finish might be in the cards for me.  We'll see.  

I'm also considering the MBA in IT Management. If you don't mind, can you share why you choose that over the MS in IT Management? How do you like it so far? How are the courses structured so far? Mostly written papers or exams or a mix of both?

Thanks. Smile

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - Kima - 09-25-2018

(09-25-2018, 06:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:

I'm also considering the MBA in IT Management. If you don't mind, can you share why you choose that over the MS in IT Management? How do you like it so far? How are the courses structured so far? Mostly written papers or exams or a mix of both?

Thanks. Smile
Hi Merlin,

So far I'm really enjoying the MBA in IT Management courses (Except for Marketing - blah!).   I went the MBA route instead of the MS route because I'm a bit burnt out in my very technical database architect role.  I want to open up other less technical career options.  Of the four courses I've taken, three have been paper-based and one was test-based.  For the three paper-based courses I've written nearly 100 pages.  

I have no doubt that choosing the MBA program at WGU was absolutely the right choice for me and was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

I wish you the best of luck making the right choice for you!

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - amilitab4k9 - 09-25-2018

Sounds like you've got a good pace going. I'll bet you can get it done in one term even taking the holidays off. Keep up the good work!

RE: Starting WGU MBA November Term, Goal: 6 months - albinosmurf - 10-03-2018

(09-25-2018, 09:13 PM)Kima Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 06:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:

Thanks. Smile
Hi Merlin,

So far I'm really enjoying the MBA in IT Management courses (Except for Marketing - blah!).   I went the MBA route instead of the MS route because I'm a bit burnt out in my very technical database architect role.  I want to open up other less technical career options.  Of the four courses I've taken, three have been paper-based and one was test-based.  For the three paper-based courses I've written nearly 100 pages.  

I have no doubt that choosing the MBA program at WGU was absolutely the right choice for me and was one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

I wish you the best of luck making the right choice for you!

Merlin / Kima,
I am pretty much in the same boat at Kima  as far as choosing the MBA ITM instead of the MS IT. Someone on this forum, or elsewhere, summed it well - the MS IT is lots of IT classes with a few business classes thrown in, while the MBA ITM is lots of business classes with a few IT classes thrown in. In my career I really don't think another IT class is going to make much difference, but business classes are very helpful. Plus if I ever decide to venture out of IT, an MBA regardless of concentration will be very helpful. 

- AlbinoSmurf