Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit (/Thread-CLEP-literature-tests-6-credit-or-3-credit)

CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - ConqueringCollege - 10-03-2018

According to ACE, the American Literature, English Literature, and Analyzing and Interpreting Literature CLEP tests are recommended for 3 credits each.  TESU on their equivalence page says that these are 6 credit exams and doesn't mention the optional essays.  Is that with or without the essays? Do COSC, Excelsior, or WGU give 6 credits for these CLEP exams or do they follow ACE recommendations?  Do they give 6 credits only if you complete the essay portion?  We are some distance from a CLEP center and these CLEP exams wouldn't be worth the driving time if they are only 3 credits each.
Thank so much for your help!

RE: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - quigongene - 10-03-2018

A&I Lit counts for 6, no essay at TESU. It counts as 3 at WGU (no essay, comes in as humanities). Can't speak for the others.

RE: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - allvia - 10-03-2018

The only school I've heard of (through posts on this board) that requires the essay is Liberty; it is not a standard part of the exam.  Also, the essay portion is reviewed and graded by the school that requires it, not the College Board.

RE: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - dfrecore - 10-03-2018

For all 3 Lit tests, they have the same exact ACE recommendations:
Taken 3/1/96-6/30/01, 6cr for score of 46+
Taken 7/1/01-2/28/15, 6cr for score of 50+
Taken 3/1/15-present, 3cr for score of 50+

So, it depends on when you took the exam as to what a school will give you. And then, it depends on the school's policy; some require a higher score than ACE recommends, some gave 3cr when ACE recommended 6cr, some give 6cr when ACE recommends 3cr. It really just depends on the school.

Also, many schools have outdated CLEP/DSST score charts or webpages, so that's not always really helpful.

RE: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - alexf.1990 - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 01:28 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For all 3 Lit tests, they have the same exact ACE recommendations:
Taken 3/1/96-6/30/01, 6cr for score of 46+
Taken 7/1/01-2/28/15, 6cr for score of 50+
Taken 3/1/15-present, 3cr for score of 50+

So, it depends on when you took the exam as to what a school will give you.  And then, it depends on the school's policy; some require a higher score than ACE recommends, some gave 3cr when ACE recommended 6cr, some give 6cr when ACE recommends 3cr.  It really just depends on the school.

Also, many schools have outdated CLEP/DSST score charts or webpages, so that's not always really helpful.

This is spot on. It's up to your individual school. ACE recommendations are just recommendations. The schools set their own policies. I was fortunate enough to finish my associates at a school that hadn't updated their chart since the revision in 2015, so I received 6 credits for AmLit.

RE: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - dfrecore - 10-04-2018

(10-03-2018, 05:29 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: [quote pid='270384' dateline='1538591308']

This is spot on. It's up to your individual school. ACE recommendations are just recommendations. The schools set their own policies. I was fortunate enough to finish my associates at a school that hadn't updated their chart since the revision in 2015, so I received 6 credits for AmLit.
[/quote]

Even if they don't update their chart, they can still give 3cr - they can just say that the chart was a mistake or outdated.

RE: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - ConqueringCollege - 10-04-2018

Thank you everyone for the information!  I'll contact the schools I'm considering before taking these tests.

RE: CLEP literature tests - 6 credit or 3 credit - alexf.1990 - 10-04-2018

(10-04-2018, 09:59 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-03-2018, 05:29 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote: [quote pid='270384' dateline='1538591308']

Even if they don't update their chart, they can still give 3cr - they can just say that the chart was a mistake or outdated.
[/quote]

Yeah, its ultimately up their discretion. My school's chart hasn't been updated since 2015. I'm not sure its something they pay much attention to. I only needed 3 credits from the CLEP so it didn't matter much to me.