Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Financaia Aid? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Financaia Aid? (/Thread-Financaia-Aid)

Pages: 1 2

Financaia Aid? - bsinsc - 10-09-2018

Anyone in this same boat or have advice?? My son is a sophomore in college. He has ADHD/Dyslexia, etc. We paid out of pocket last year and now his college fund is exhausted. He did get $6500 loans from Feds towards tuition this year but now having to get private loans. The problem is his GPA is terrible. He will never be a stellar student. Some lenders want to see at least a 3.0 GPA. This might never happen for him. We are trying to get as good a loan as possible but it infuriates me to have to pay more interest due to his GPA when he has disabilities. BTW...Y'all were very helpful when I was going back to school so I am hoping someone might have some good advice. Thanks!

RE: Financaia Aid? - alexf.1990 - 10-09-2018

(10-09-2018, 10:10 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Anyone in this same boat or have advice?? My son is a sophomore in college. He has ADHD/Dyslexia, etc. We paid out of pocket last year and now his college fund is exhausted. He did get $6500 loans from Feds towards tuition this year but now having to get private loans. The problem is his GPA is terrible. He will never be a stellar student. Some lenders want to see at least a 3.0 GPA. This might never happen for him. We are trying to get as good a loan as possible but it infuriates me to have to pay more interest due to his GPA when he has disabilities. BTW...Y'all were very helpful when I was going back to school so I am hoping someone might have some good advice. Thanks!

Which factors are motivating him to stay in a traditional B&M school instead of completing a competency-based program, as you did? With the exorbitant cost and his learning disability, I would think he would perform better in a competency-based program.

RE: Financaia Aid? - MNomadic - 10-09-2018

Have you looked into disability related scholarships?

RE: Financaia Aid? - bsinsc - 10-09-2018

Yes, he applied to many scholarships and not one has come through. He is in a military college (The Citadel) for the structure and of course the degree at the end will be one that will network for him the rest of his life. He's an only child and being there has been a fabulous experience in camaraderie. He's also a bagpiper and part of the band. Unfortunately, no $ for that. Totally different situation than mine.

RE: Financaia Aid? - MNomadic - 10-09-2018

Yeah having structure and forced discipline can be good for some people.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I really don't know much about student loans.

RE: Financaia Aid? - alexf.1990 - 10-09-2018

(10-09-2018, 11:00 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Yes, he applied to many scholarships and not one has come through. He is in a military college (The Citadel)  for the structure and of course the degree at the end will be one that will network for him the rest of his life. He's an only child and being there has been a fabulous experience in camaraderie. He's also a bagpiper and part of the band. Unfortunately, no $ for that. Totally different situation than mine.

The cheapest money you'll be able to get is taping into your home equity. You can also write off interest payments on that loan.

RE: Financaia Aid? - sanantone - 10-10-2018

You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.

RE: Financaia Aid? - MNomadic - 10-10-2018

(10-10-2018, 01:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.

Do College RoTC programs require one to join the military after graduation?

RE: Financaia Aid? - sanantone - 10-10-2018

(10-10-2018, 01:42 AM)MNomadic Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 01:34 AM)sanantone Wrote: You should apply for a Parent Plus loan and put him into an ROTC program at a state school. Private school loans should be avoided.

Do College RoTC programs require one to join the military after graduation?

Only if you receive an ROTC scholarship or complete the ROTC advanced course. 

If structure is important, then there are also merchant marine programs at a few public universities, and the Coast Guard Auxiliary has university programs since the Coast Guard does not have ROTC.

RE: Financaia Aid? - cookderosa - 10-10-2018

(10-09-2018, 10:10 PM)bsinsc Wrote: Anyone in this same boat or have advice?? My son is a sophomore in college. He has ADHD/Dyslexia, etc. We paid out of pocket last year and now his college fund is exhausted. He did get $6500 loans from Feds towards tuition this year but now having to get private loans. The problem is his GPA is terrible. He will never be a stellar student. Some lenders want to see at least a 3.0 GPA. This might never happen for him. We are trying to get as good a loan as possible but it infuriates me to have to pay more interest due to his GPA when he has disabilities. BTW...Y'all were very helpful when I was going back to school so I am hoping someone might have some good advice. Thanks!

So, he still has open slots for CLEP. Is that an option? http://www.citadel.edu/root/mba?option=com_content&view=article&id=1797&Itemid=768

Based on their tuition rate, every CLEP he passes saves you $2500 in student loans and is one less scholarship to apply for- but you have to do it now, CLEP won't work after the sophomore year.