Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Modern States Time - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Modern States Time (/Thread-Modern-States-Time)

Modern States Time - natshar - 10-19-2018

How long does it take to complete a modern states course? How many hours of work will it take to complete? I'm specifically asking about the American Government. But I would appreciate time for any modern states courses.

I signed up for the American Government clep at a community college on Tuesday morning. I haven't purchase the ticket yet. I don't need to do so until late Monday night or early Tuesday morning. It is currently Saturday afternoon. Is it possible to complete the modern states course in time?

RE: Modern States Time - quigongene - 10-19-2018

If I'm actively watching the videos, I can usually wrap one up in a weekend.

RE: Modern States Time - mysonx3 - 10-19-2018

You don't actually have to watch the videos, just answer the questions, although I found the course for this one particularly helpful for studying. I watched all the videos double speed and got through in like 4-5 hours I think?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

RE: Modern States Time - Doodlebabe - 10-22-2018

I've found that reading the transcripts to be more helpful as you can scan over all the verbal flubs or random personal stories the teachers say. This makes it go much quicker if you're a visual learner.
Also, for American Government I found it EXTREMELY helpful to read a study guide in addition to taking the course. The course did not adequately prepare me for the test. I took mine out from the library but there are plenty of cheap and used options on Amazon.

RE: Modern States Time - harrypotter - 09-18-2019

Has anyone tried the CLEP in Psychology? How long did the course take? Is reading the textbooks recommended for the psych CLEP (or for any modernstates course in general)? I'm asking because i'm looking a look at the length of the videos & many are only a few minutes long.. are most modernstates course videos the same? Will watching just the videos really prepare me for a clep?

RE: Modern States Time - Zachcleigh - 09-18-2019

(09-18-2019, 02:08 AM)harrypotter Wrote: Has anyone tried the CLEP in Psychology? How long did the course take? Is reading the textbooks recommended for the psych CLEP (or for any modernstates course in general)?  I'm asking because i'm looking a look at the length of the videos & many are only a few minutes long.. are most modernstates course videos the same? Will watching just the videos really prepare me for a clep?

I took that CLEP.  Never took a psychology course in my life.  Didn't study at all.  Just decided to go take it one day and passed.  Pretty common sense material really.
If you wanted to study I'd say try instantcert.

RE: Modern States Time - quigongene - 09-18-2019

I couldn't stand the instructor for MS's Psych course. I watched Crash Course Psych instead.

RE: Modern States Time - Clepper43 - 09-18-2019

(10-22-2018, 10:45 AM)Doodlebabe Wrote: I've found that reading the transcripts to be more helpful as you can scan over all the verbal flubs or random personal stories the teachers say. This makes it go much quicker if you're a visual learner.
Also, for American Government I found it EXTREMELY helpful to read a study guide in addition to taking the course. The course did not adequately prepare me for the test. I took mine out from the library but there are plenty of cheap and used options on Amazon.

Yes, my son did not pass with Modern States only! He also had done a Civics class all year, then MS and did not pass.

RE: Modern States Time - Ideas - 09-18-2019

(09-18-2019, 02:08 AM)harrypotter Wrote: Will watching just the videos really prepare me for a clep?

In other threads, many said no. I would also say no.

RE: Modern States Time - tendrils - 09-18-2019

I look financial accounting with no prior experience or knowledge, skipped all videos, brute forced the quizzes. Got 56/80 on the CLEP.