Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com (/Thread-Slayed-by-Python-Onlinedegree-com)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - eriehiker - 10-21-2018

68.24% final score on onlinedegree.com python intro. to programming.  Bummer.  BUMMER!

3 month wait to retake.

I am an English/social science high school teacher and I have been taking as many math and computer science courses as is possible to extend my knowledge.  It took me two tries to pass C++ programming at Straighterline and it will, apparently, take me at least two tries at onlinedegree.com for python.  I just have to say that I found the course to be difficult, informative and legitimate.  Hats off to onlinedegree.com for creating free courses that are pretty good.

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - sanantone - 10-21-2018

How much time did you spend on the course? I've found that you can't really cram for programming languages unless you're just taking a test that covers the basics. I'm using a free app to learn SQL. You might want to learn a bit of Python before you retake the course.

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - eriehiker - 10-21-2018

(10-21-2018, 11:21 AM)sanantone Wrote: How much time did you spend on the course? I've found that you can't really cram for programming languages unless you're just taking a test that covers the basics. I'm using a free app to learn SQL. You might want to learn a bit of Python before you retake the course.

Well, I have actually been watching the videos, which I don't normally do.  Obviously the key is more time on the subject.  So I will take it slow in three months during the retake.

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - MNomadic - 10-21-2018

I found that with the OD courses I do best with watching the videos and taking notes so I have something to study for the final. I had to take a break from OD python programming because I could tell it would require a lot of my attention.

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - Merlin - 10-21-2018

(10-21-2018, 11:33 AM)eriehiker Wrote: Well, I have actually been watching the videos, which I don't normally do.  Obviously the key is more time on the subject.  So I will take it slow in three months during the retake.

Coming from someone with 30+ years of programming background, the key to learning any programming language is writing code. And by that, I mean actual programs, not just the tiny examples they give you during the coursework.

It is unlikely that one could really learn how to program just by watching videos or reading a book. Yes, you can learn the fundamentals, but it takes the application and analysis of that knowledge to really get it. You'll find as you write your first few programs and debug them, that you'll really begin to understand how things work. Debugging is probably the most valuable aspect since learning from your mistakes drives knowledge home better than anything else.

Each programming language you learn also helps you to learn the next one.

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - eriehiker - 10-21-2018

Merlin!

You are the best and you are absolutely correct.  I value your opinion in this area.

Thank You!
Mike

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - Doodlebabe - 10-22-2018

I'm finding freecodecamp.org to be very helpful in learning the languages in manageable pieces, if you need a place to practice :-)

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - bluebooger - 10-22-2018

go here
http://automatetheboringstuff.com/
scroll down

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - jsh1138 - 10-22-2018

I took a C programming course at TESU awhile back and you really do have to write multiple programs before it starts to make sense

i love Study.com and places like that but i am hugely skeptical that you can learn coding in a format like that, or onlinedegree.

It would prob be better to do some kind of free Udemy course or whatever to actually learn it, and then just use the course to get the credit for knowing it, vs trying to learn it from the course. Now that Study.com offers C+ and Java for credit, that's what i'm going to try to do with those, and with this course from onlinedegree when i get around to it.

RE: Slayed by Python: Onlinedegree.com - davewill - 10-23-2018

(10-22-2018, 06:33 PM)jsh1138 Wrote: I took a C programming course at TESU awhile back and you really do have to write multiple programs before it starts to make sense

i love Study.com and places like that but i am hugely skeptical that you can learn coding in a format like that, or onlinedegree.

It would prob be better to do some kind of free Udemy course or whatever to actually learn it, and then just use the course to get the credit for knowing it, vs trying to learn it from the course. Now that Study.com offers C+ and Java for credit, that's what i'm going to try to do with those, and with this course from onlinedegree when i get around to it.

I'm not sure that most butt-in-seat courses are any better. It's like learning real languages, unless you practice you don't learn to speak(write) it. The student needs to challenge themselves to do projects, have difficulties, and work their way through them. Luckily, that seems to be the how many of the MOOCs are organized.