Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: Saylor.org, Straighterline, Study.com, OnlineDegree.com, Sophia.Org Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Saylor-org-Straighterline-Study-com-OnlineDegree-com-Sophia-Org-Discussion)
+--- Thread: How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? (/Thread-How-can-I-make-sure-I-get-the-Study-com-discount-at-TESU)

How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? - Charca - 10-28-2018

Hello friends,

This week I want to register for my first course at TESU, and I want to make sure I do things correctly so that I can get the discounted fees from the Study.com partnership. Also I have some other questions that I was hoping you could help me with.

Some backgound: I've applied to TESU earlier this year and I've sent my transcripts from my previous school, they reviewed it and gave me an academic evaluation. I took a couple of SL courses since then, and now I'm thinking about taking a couple of Study.com courses and register for TES-100 and another course at TESU (to start on the December term).

Since these are going to be my first TESU courses, my understanding is that I'd have to pay not only the per-credit tuition but also the Residency Waiver fee at this point, which would "start the clock" and give me one full year to graduate. Is that correct? Is there anything else I should do at this stage? I've read around that I need to apply for graduation and pay the fees but I'm not sure when should I do this.

And going back to the Study.com partnership, I'm guessing the only requirement is that you're a Study.com member by the time you register and pay these fees, but how can I make sure I get the discount? Is there a step during the registration process where you can mention the Study.com partnership?

The only information I could find about it is that I need to mention Study.com on my original application, which I'm sure I didn't because I didn't have an SDC membership at the time. Does that mean I already screwed up and that it's too late for me now? I hope not!

Sorry for all the questions, but this is really confusing to me and I want to make sure I do things correctly and in the right order, since the discounts are pretty significant. I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can give me!

RE: How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? - Merlin - 10-28-2018

(10-28-2018, 10:34 PM)Charca Wrote: Hello friends,

This week I want to register for my first course at TESU, and I want to make sure I do things correctly so that I can get the discounted fees from the Study.com partnership. Also I have some other questions that I was hoping you could help me with.

Some backgound: I've applied to TESU earlier this year and I've sent my transcripts from my previous school, they reviewed it and gave me an academic evaluation. I took a couple of SL courses since then, and now I'm thinking about taking a couple of Study.com courses and register for TES-100 and another course at TESU (to start on the December term).

Since these are going to be my first TESU courses, my understanding is that I'd have to pay not only the per-credit tuition but also the Residency Waiver fee at this point, which would "start the clock" and give me one full year to graduate. Is that correct? Is there anything else I should do at this stage? I've read around that I need to apply for graduation and pay the fees but I'm not sure when should I do this.

And going back to the Study.com partnership, I'm guessing the only requirement is that you're a Study.com member by the time you register and pay these fees, but how can I make sure I get the discount? Is there a step during the registration process where you can mention the Study.com partnership?

The only information I could find about it is that I need to mention Study.com on my original application, which I'm sure I didn't because I didn't have an SDC membership at the time. Does that mean I already screwed up and that it's too late for me now? I hope not!

Sorry for all the questions, but this is really confusing to me and I want to make sure I do things correctly and in the right order, since the discounts are pretty significant. I'd really appreciate any help or advice you can give me!

That's mostly right, with a few minor updates...
  1. You don't need to pay the residency fee until you apply for graduation. You can pay it earlier, but you don't need to, so why would you?
  2. If you didn't select Study.com affiliation on your application, you'll need to contact TESU and ask them to add it. You'll need to have taken and transferred at least one Study.com course to TESU before you can do that. You may need to ask multiple times to get the Study.com membership flagged.
  3. Once flagged, you'll get the discount on the tuition fees and residency waiver fees.
  4. The one-year clock starts once you are enrolled with TESU and restarts each time you register for a new course.
  5. The residency waiver is also on its own one-year clock, but is used up once you graduate with a bachelor's degree.
I hope that helps.

RE: How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? - Charca - 10-29-2018

(10-28-2018, 11:29 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(10-28-2018, 10:34 PM)Charca Wrote: Hello friends,

That's mostly right, with a few minor updates...
  1. You don't need to pay the residency fee until you apply for graduation. You can pay it earlier, but you don't need to, so why would you?
  2. If you didn't select Study.com affiliation on your application, you'll need to contact TESU and ask them to add it. You'll need to have taken and transferred at least one Study.com course to TESU before you can do that. You may need to ask multiple times to get the Study.com membership flagged.
  3. Once flagged, you'll get the discount on the tuition fees and residency waiver fees.
  4. The one-year clock starts once you are enrolled with TESU and restarts each time you register for a new course.
  5. The residency waiver is also on its own one-year clock, but is used up once you graduate with a bachelor's degree.
I hope that helps.

Thanks so much, Merlin! You've answered all of my questions Smile

I guess I won't be able to register for the December term then since I'll need to complete and transfer a Study.com course to TESU first, and then request that they add the affiliation to my application. This could take a while and I only got until Nov 11 to register at TESU, so I should probably focus on getting everything ready for the January term.

Thanks again for all the useful info!

RE: How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? - allvia - 10-29-2018

If you still need to fill the TESU Oral Communication (aka public speaking) requirement then you might want to start with Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace @ Study.com - it is the quickest course to complete through Study.com - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Study-com-s-Communications-120-TESU-COM-290

RE: How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? - Charca - 10-29-2018

(10-29-2018, 10:28 AM)allvia Wrote: If you still need to fill the TESU Oral Communication (aka public speaking) requirement then you might want to start with Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace @ Study.com - it is the quickest course to complete through Study.com - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-Study-com-s-Communications-120-TESU-COM-290

Thanks, allvia! I was planning on taking that course to fill the Oral Communication requirement, it looks like it's pretty straightforward and shouldn't take too much time, so it would probably give me the best chances to get the discount applied before next term. Thanks again!

RE: How can I make sure I get the Study.com discount at TESU? - davewill - 10-29-2018

Can't hurt to ask them to apply the affiliation now. They might just do it. Worst case they tell you that you need to transfer a course.